Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

mcleod had 16 points 8 rebounds against SU last year--- none of the other 3 have come anywhere close to that in an NCAA game...

mcleod isnt the finished product but he's not exactly a project the way the others are...i get you dont like the mcleod pickup but this late in the game not sure who else you prefer??????
Did you see our defense that game? What did he do against teams playing man?

So should we field a team of awful sophomore seasoned players? Just because one team player had a jump doesn’t mean it’s a rule.
Thanks. I never said it's a rule. And to your first statement, of course not. Perhaps we just disagree here. All good.

the real problem is having 3 project centers on the roster - doesnt really make a lot of sense.
Certainly no worse than having unused scholars.

I agree with some above in that McLeod's college career to date has been a bit underwhelming. But I'm also ready to give our new coaching staff the complete benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. Sometimes transfers just need a new situation to thrive.

answr the question - which alternative do you prefer?
Jesse boned us, may not be a better option, but because we picked him up doesn’t mean he’s better than he is. Read the thread, you’d think he was an all ACC guy, he’ll, someone said they prefer him over Dickinson.

In my head, I have a mental image of what every Syracusefan.com poster (who I haven't met) looks like in person. And that is what I have for CuseFaninVT almost precisely.
Except he posts his picture here regularly to show off his excessive Caucasian roots.

Jesse boned us, may not be a better option, but because we picked him up doesn’t mean he’s better than he is. Read the thread, you’d think he was an all ACC guy, he’ll, someone said they prefer him over Dickinson.
okay - welll...my take is that the 3 current centers on the roster - patterson and carey have played zero minutes and hima is a big body without much finesse...hes effort and 5 fouls...

so...

would you leave the schollie open and pass on mcleod??

for me, the real issue is 3 players at center who cannot be the starter, basically.

unless carey or patterson can come in and surprise (which is possible, as well)

I just dont see the better alternative...

why cry over something you cant change?

having naheem is better than not imo

okay - welll...my take is that the 3 current centers on the roster - patterson and carey have played zero minutes and hima is a big body without much finesse...hes effort and 5 fouls...

so...

would you leave the schollie open and pass on mcleod??

for me, the real issue is 3 players at center who cannot be the starter, basically.

unless carey or patterson can come in and surprise (which is possible, as well)

I just dont see the better alternative...

why cry over something you cant change?

having naheem is better than not imo
Who’s crying? I just find it amusing people are getting their jolly’s off about him.

Certainly no worse than having unused scholars.
well - maybe it is - if they mean that no one else can be added.

ideally theyd be able to add 2 centers with actual experience this year instead of going in with 3 who have never started before and mcleod.

If we were looking to have a center post up and give us points in the paint he wouldn't be a good option. I don't think we are looking for that. I don't think we should be either.

We have Starling, Westry, Copeland, and maybe Mintz who are all great at getting to the rim. When they get there they are going to be met with the other teams best shot blocker much of the time. They need someone they can throw a lob up to if that happens. Stats aren't super important here, what is important is that McLeod can keep his man pinned to him or catch and dunk the ball when his man leaves. On the other side of the ball we want him to be a rim protector. I think it's reasonable to hope he can be close to as good as Jesse at both things. If so he will be a great pick up.

Did you see our defense that game? What did he do against teams playing man?

I'll be curious on articles and interviews now that he is committed. He actually had a pretty good freshman year with consistenly solid outings in limited minutes off the bench then he got hurt it appears in early February and didn't play the rest of the year.

Last year, he was semi banged up through the year too playing a role in the inconsistency as I understand. If it was health, and some of the productivity issues would make sense.

The other argument is that with an even mediocre team he was a good bit better his frosh year vs a putrid FSU team last year that had pathetic guard play on both ends.

He was averaging 4.2 and 2.1 in 11 mins the previous year which comes to 15 and 7 over 40.

FSU the past two years has honestly reminded me of the last two for us where it felt like the coaching and roster construction just was a major disappointment.

I don’t see us playing much of it, I think we should based on matchups though.
I don't mind a contrary take: he regressed in field percentage, didn't log that many minutes, didn't rebound to his size, is a long way from a finished product in the low post, etc.

I don't think Red is bringing him in to chase a 6-8 guy in small-ball M2M. What he brings is a massive inside presence in the zone (or in half court offense) - an anchor against big boy teams. In those rolls, he can alter anything near the rim, continue to screen and learn the P/R, maybe give us 8 rpg/5-7 ppg on lobs and put backs. Red can also hold him back on D when we run up tempo. Niastri's and General20's posts explained his strengths well.

For small ball, we have Malik.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom