Name 3 Coaches That are Available to be our next HC | Syracusefan.com

Name 3 Coaches That are Available to be our next HC

corpjet

Board Prophet
The majority want Shafer gone and I think its all but a foregone conclusion. We all want a superstar, proven head coach but realistically name 3 people who are on your short list and we have a realistic shot at getting.

I will give it a shot...here's my three:
1. Jim Tressel
2. Brent Venables - DC Clemson
3. Justin Fuente - Memphis HC

Tressel is banned from coaching until 2017. Give the sweater vest a rest.

He was a former Mac assistant and has only won everywhere he has gone. He'd be the reclamation project story for the ages.

is the 2017 date a hard date. I thought I read he may be able to coach before that. If UM is seriously thinking of rehiring Butch Davis we should be seriously thinking of hiring Tressel if the key to the change is to find a coach that can win. It's the AD's responsibility to build a program with compliance, admissions to ring fence him.

He was a former Mac assistant and has only won everywhere he has gone. He'd be the reclamation project story for the ages.

is the 2017 date a hard date. I thought I read he may be able to coach before that. If UM is seriously thinking of rehiring Butch Davis we should be seriously thinking of hiring Tressel if the key to the change is to find a coach that can win. It's the AD's responsibility to build a program with compliance, admissions to ring fence him.
We have gone over this ad nauseum. Tressel is under a show cause order until 2017. That is the way the NCAA bans a coach. Besides, Coyle, who was hired partly because of his compliance chops, is not hiring a guy who lied to the NCAA.

The majority want Shafer gone and I think its all but a foregone conclusion. We all want a superstar, proven head coach but realistically name 3 people who are on your short list and we have a realistic shot at getting.

I will give it a shot...here's my three:
1. Jim Tressel
2. Brent Venables - DC Clemson
3. Justin Fuente - Memphis HC

Venables makes 1.35MM as an assistant at Clemson.

Fuentes makes 1.4MM at Memphis.

Shafer makes 1.3MM. Marrone made 1.7MM.

You think our budget is anywhere north of 2MM?

Venables makes 1.35MM as an assistant at Clemson.

Fuentes makes 1.4MM at Memphis.

Shafer makes 1.3MM. Marrone made 1.7MM.

You think our budget is anywhere north of 2MM?

I think its going to have to be in this day and age

Marrone and Shafer were compensated at levels appropriate to their experience. I am confident that will be the case with the next hire; perhaps I am misguided.

How much is left for the rest of the staff is of more concern to me.

I just want to know what the budget is.

If it is at the bottom of the P5 barrel, then you can list all the names you want and you aren't getting any of them...
It was. The question is what is it now? We were about 60% of the ACC median for staff.

We have gone over this ad nauseum. Tressel is under a show cause order until 2017. That is the way the NCAA bans a coach. Besides, Coyle, who was hired partly because of his compliance chops, is not hiring a guy who lied to the NCAA.

Coyle hasn't cleaned the SU hoops house yet? Twice on probation and they are going with the guy who was part of the entire probation period 2.0. I'm not saying it was justifiable but every situation is diff esp when the NCAA cabal comes down on you.

If Pete Carroll for some strange reason wanted to coach the Orange, are you saying they wouldn't at all look at him. I think it's a convenient argument for guys who make people want to hold their noses more than others.

I just want to know what the budget is.

If it is at the bottom of the P5 barrel, then you can list all the names you want and you aren't getting any of them...

Does anyone know if Marty Whitman or some other very rich Syracuse alum cares 1% about the program and is willing to underwite this coaching search/salary? We need to send alum Bin Taleed a highlight video from 1992. Maybe he will send us a spare 10mm to get this thing going.

I still don't understand the obsession with budgets. Let the AD do his job. We aren't going to offer 3-4 million to a HC but should be more than capable of paying for a solid HC who has shown experience of winning games and running a successful college offense at most likely a smaller school. Again, I don't know why people are making this out to be so difficult. Many of those MAC coaches are making 4-650K. Take the best HC at the FCS levels, vet several, hire the best one. Look at the Fordham coach, nice resume, good offense, roster filled with kids from all over really. I'm not saying he is a savior but a guy that might peak interest.

If we are going to renovate the dome, the new IPF, ACC $, Syracuse should be just fine. Coyle needs to sell a vision, find the guy that is intrigued by the vision with the right background, make the numbers work and HIRE THE GUY.

I agree some coaches will be tougher to get than others and some will take deals from schools offering more money. I thought that was how the world worked but maybe I am wrong. God.

Marrone and Shafer were compensated at levels appropriate to their experience. I am confident that will be the case with the next hire; perhaps I am misguided.

How much is left for the rest of the staff is of more concern to me.
Bingo! One of the reasons coaches don't consider jobs is the budget for staff. We are going to have to pony up $6 million total to get to the middle of the ACC. If we go cheap, we lose again.

It was. The question is what is it now? We were about 60% of the ACC median for staff.

Yeah, well, wake me up when you know. Then, we can talk about it.

Until I actually see evidence that the University can, and will, pony up, I will assume that the budget will be the same as it always is and the choices are going to be limited to whatever is left after everyone else has taken who they want.

And it will be another round of hire and hope...

Life has its outliers but talent tends to flow to where the money is. And if Clemson is paying its coordinators more than we pay our head coach, it is not a good sign.

Yeah, well, wake me up when you know. Then, we can talk about it.

Until I actually see evidence that the University can, and will, pony up, I will assume that the budget will be the same as it always is and the choices are going to be limited to whatever is left after everyone else has taken who they want.

And it will be another round of hire and hope...

Life has its outliers but talent tends to flow to where the money is. And if Clemson is paying its coordinators more than we pay our head coach, it is not a good sign.

It's all hope and hire regardless of who is brought in. There are no givens, just try to do the best job in the process to hope you hire the best guy. It's almost like you want a dollar figure that can guarantee success.

I still don't understand the obsession with budgets. Let the AD do his job. We aren't going to offer 3-4 million to a HC but should be more than capable of paying for a solid HC who has shown experience of winning games and running a successful college offense at most likely a smaller school. Again, I don't know why people are making this out to be so difficult. Many of those MAC coaches are making 4-650K. Take the best HC at the FCS levels, vet several, hire the best one. Look at the Fordham coach, nice resume, good offense, roster filled with kids from all over really. I'm not saying he is a savior but a guy that might peak interest.

If we are going to renovate the dome, the new IPF, ACC $, Syracuse should be just fine. Coyle needs to sell a vision, find the guy that is intrigued by the vision with the right background, make the numbers work and HIRE THE GUY.

I agree some coaches will be tougher to get than others and some will take deals from schools offering more money. I thought that was how the world worked but maybe I am wrong. God.
Several coaches from non-P5 schools were hired by ACC teams in the past few years and they all cost more than we paid or offered. Intrigue does not trump money because they all know it can be a short term vision. I'll go with money.

Several coaches from non-P5 schools were hired by ACC teams in the past few years and they all cost more than we paid or offered. Intrigue does not trump money because they all know it can be a short term vision. I'll go with money.

You pay for experience I agree. We have hired no experience and paid accordingly. That is the whole point.

It's all hope and hire regardless of who is brought in. There are no givens, just try to do the best job in the process to hope you hire the best guy. It's almost like you want a dollar figure that can guarantee success.
That is like the star system argument. It is a question of hiring from a pool with better metrics and experience or trying to catch lightning in a bottle. If we constantly choose from the unproven (go cheap route) we will more often than not be disappointed. There are more big fish in the deep waters.

That is like the star system argument. It is a question of hiring from a pool with better metrics and experience or trying to catch lightning in a bottle. If we constantly choose from the unproven (go cheap route) we will more often than not be disappointed. There are more big fish in the deep waters.

To me somewhere in the middle lies the balance and that is where we will be fishing. I tend to think the coach is a guy whose name hasn't even been mentioned here at all.

I actually thought Shafer was a great hire when they made it. I was wrong.

I don't understand why people constantly complain about what SU pays Shafer. The guy was our DC, an internal hire, promoted in early January when to the best of my knowledge there were no open P5 head coaching jobs left.

SU offered a salary and Shafer accepted.

Now, had Shafer had success, let's say he was 6-3 right now instead of 3-6, there's a great likelihood that SU extends his contact as he would be attractive to other P5 schools. That would come with a raise. That raise would most likely have placed him in the top 40-45 of head coaching salaries (say $2-2.5 million).

Given CNY cost of living, that'd be a healthy salary.

Now, circumstances have changed. SU may need to throw more money at a candidate for their services. Maybe $2.5M is what it'll take. We'll see. But that doesn't have anything to do with Shafer's current salary, which is what it is due to a completely different circumstance.

Paying the staff is a different consideration. We don't know what the limit of that budget might be. Although I suspect Coyle may be a passionate advocate for increasing whatever it might be now.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth much time hyperventilating about salary. By all accounts we were going to pay someone market rate back in 2009. We'd probably pay more than that in 2016.

Just don't skimp on the staff and it should be OK.