Name 3 Coaches That are Available to be our next HC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Name 3 Coaches That are Available to be our next HC

I don't understand why people constantly complain about what SU pays Shafer. The guy was our DC, an internal hire, promoted in early January when to the best of my knowledge there were no open P5 head coaching jobs left.

SU offered a salary and Shafer accepted.

Now, had Shafer had success, let's say he was 6-3 right now instead of 3-6, there's a great likelihood that SU extends his contact as he would be attractive to other P5 schools. That would come with a raise. That raise would most likely have placed him in the top 40-45 of head coaching salaries (say $2-2.5 million).

Given CNY cost of living, that'd be a healthy salary.

Now, circumstances have changed. SU may need to throw more money at a candidate for their services. Maybe $2.5M is what it'll take. We'll see. But that doesn't have anything to do with Shafer's current salary, which is what it is due to a completely different circumstance.

Paying the staff is a different consideration. We don't know what the limit of that budget might be. Although I suspect Coyle may be a passionate advocate for increasing whatever it might be now.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth much time hyperventilating about salary. By all accounts we were going to pay someone market rate back in 2009. We'd probably pay more than that in 2016.

Just don't skimp on the staff and it should be OK.
One of the problems of hiring a bargain HC is that all the assistants are paid at a lower level as well. Just look at the experiences of our staff and I think you will agree they are underwhelming.

We can't do that again this time.

Crusty said:
One of the problems of hiring a bargain HC is that all the assistants are paid at a lower level as well. Just look at the experiences of our staff and I think you will agree they are underwhelming. We can't do that again this time.

We don't know if we have the staff we do because of financial restraints, or choice by Shafer. Marrone and Pasqualoni both had much more accomplished hires.

Fuente is landing a better job than SU.

No he is landing a job that will pay him more than Syracuse will most likely be willing to pay. He already makes 1.4 mil. HC at MAC type schools aren't making that type of money. There are options, plenty of them. FCS schools, Coyle probably has a network of guys that we don't even talk about, maybe the HC at NW Montana ST or something, I don't know.

Again, just have to let it play out. Regardless of how people feel at the time a new coach is hired we won't have any clue if they will be successful here

No he is landing a job that will pay him more than Syracuse will most likely be willing to pay. He already makes 1.4 mil. HC at MAC type schools aren't making that type of money. There are options, plenty of them. FCS schools, Coyle probably has a network of guys that we don't even talk about, maybe the HC at NW Montana ST or something, I don't know.

Again, just have to let it play out. Regardless of how people feel at the time a new coach is hired we won't have any clue if they will be successful here

I agree, a job that will pay more than what SU is prepared to offer historically. Thats what i meant.

Venables makes 1.35MM as an assistant at Clemson.

Fuentes makes 1.4MM at Memphis.

Shafer makes 1.3MM. Marrone made 1.7MM.

You think our budget is anywhere north of 2MM?
It better be or we might as well do nothing and be happy. If they decide to hire a new coach...they gotta pay.

So when do we start getting reports that so and so is/or has interviewed for the SU head coaching position. Surely if this is going down, ADMC has to be speaking with these guys BEFORE officially pulling the plug on HCSS right??

Bingo! One of the reasons coaches don't consider jobs is the budget for staff. We are going to have to pony up $6 million total to get to the middle of the ACC. If we go cheap, we lose again.
Agreed you have to pay...just hope they find the right guy...paying $6M only increases your odds of getting a winner.

So when do we start getting reports that so and so is/or has interviewed for the SU head coaching position. Surely if this is going down, ADMC has to be speaking with these guys BEFORE officially pulling the plug on HCSS right??
Usually feelers are put out through a 3rd party...before pulling the plug. I assume SU is doing this if the AD has decided this is the course of action he has chosen.

If me, I'd have nondisclosure docs signed...so you can reverse course.

We don't know if we have the staff we do because of financial restraints, or choice by Shafer. Marrone and Pasqualoni both had much more accomplished hires.
That is true enough. Marrone's staff was much better (partly because he had Shafer!).

Venables makes 1.35MM as an assistant at Clemson.

Fuentes makes 1.4MM at Memphis.

Shafer makes 1.3MM. Marrone made 1.7MM.

You think our budget is anywhere north of 2MM?

It definitely is. Coyle didn't come here himself for less money right? He's making more. And no way would Coyle come here if he's going to have a budget the same as he had at Boise. Harsin makes about 1.4 million at a a non P5 and his last year is worth 1.75. He might have made more if Bosie didn't pay 1.75 buyout to get him.

The Boise assistant coaches budget is 2.2 million.

Syracuse will pay way north of Boise for someone who deserves it.

I still don't understand the obsession with budgets. Let the AD do his job. We aren't going to offer 3-4 million to a HC but should be more than capable of paying for a solid HC who has shown experience of winning games and running a successful college offense at most likely a smaller school. Again, I don't know why people are making this out to be so difficult. Many of those MAC coaches are making 4-650K. Take the best HC at the FCS levels, vet several, hire the best one. Look at the Fordham coach, nice resume, good offense, roster filled with kids from all over really. I'm not saying he is a savior but a guy that might peak interest.

If we are going to renovate the dome, the new IPF, ACC $, Syracuse should be just fine. Coyle needs to sell a vision, find the guy that is intrigued by the vision with the right background, make the numbers work and HIRE THE GUY.

I agree some coaches will be tougher to get than others and some will take deals from schools offering more money. I thought that was how the world worked but maybe I am wrong. God.

Agreed. One thing that comes up but doesn't make sense is that if we're on the road all next season - why give it to Shafer in the lamest of ducks year? I'd get Babers or someone like that, chalk the year up as foundational (install new system, get better)... plan for a newly renovated dome with a team that is building something.

Can you imagine re-opening the dome under those conditions? Fun. Might be a packed house for a while.

If you look at where Marrone's staff is coaching currently, I think it goes to show that he really had a solid staff. Moore, Adkins, Wheatley, Henderson, Daoust, Shafer even Hackett. Some good coaches right there.

I'd love to find a way to keep Daoust. Love that guy. Great line coach, probably a very good DC.

Crusty said:
That is true enough. Marrone's staff was much better (partly because he had Shafer!).

Shafer was also pressed to put together a largely new staff on very short notice when most qualified candidates were already committed (thanks again, Doug!). We threw money at McDonald to pry him away from Arkansas, right? A lot of the others were guys Shafer had worked with before.

Look, I don't know, I'm just not ready to start screaming at the faceless "SU administration" about not being willing to pay people when (a) we don't actually have an opening yet, (b) we have no idea what the budget might be if we do have an opening, and (c) we haven't "lost" any hypothetical candidate for a hypothetical job yet because we won't pay them a going rate.

Here are some cheap hires with HC experience - more along the lines that SU will go.

1. Edsall making $0 right now - bargain!
2.Marrone making < $500 mil - another bargain!

:mad:

Here are some cheap hires with HC experience - more along the lines that SU will go.

1. Edsall making $0 right now - bargain!
2.Marrone making < $500 mil - another bargain!

:mad:

Did you read that on Syracuse.com...

what we do know is there is a budget for assistant coaches, whether that's negotiated or not I guess depends on if the HC has any leverage. Shafer probably did not. Harsin negotiated his assistant's budget at Boise.

We definitely don't know is even if Shafer got the assistant budget he desired if he would've hired the same guys. I'm thinking he still would've put the band back together and paid them more. guys like Reed and Adam and Smith maybe not.

Current College Head Coaches

1. Dino Babers, 54 (Bowling Green)
2. Jeff Brohm, 44 (Western Kentucky)
3. Tom Herman, 40 (Houston)
4. Philip Montgomery, 43 (Tulsa)
5. Matt Rhule, 40 (Temple)
6. Matt Campbell, 35 (Toledo)
7. Justin Fuente, 39 (Memphis State)
8. Doc Holliday, 58 (Marshall)
9. Todd Monken, 49 (Southern Miss)
10. Ruffin McNeill, 57 (East Carolina)

College Coordinators

1. Lincoln Riley, 32 (Oklahoma OC)
2. Sonny Cumbie, 34 (TCU Co-OC / QB coach)
3. Kendal Briles, 33 (Baylor OC)
4. Matt Luke, 39 (Ole Miss OC/AHC)
5. Doug Meacham, 50 (TCU Co-OC)
6. Eric Morris, 30 (Texas Tech OC)
7. Mike Yurcich, 38 (Oklahoma State OC)
8. Eliah Drinkwitz, 31 (Boise State OC)
9. Jake Spavital, 30 (Texas A&M OC/QB)
10. Bill Gonzales, 44 (Mississippi State OC
11. Tony Franklin, 58 (Cal OC)

NFL Coaches

1. None

Last edited:
Tommy Tuberville
Matt Campbell
Tom Herman

coordinator - Lincoln Riley

Tuberville and Herman have top 10 offenses (#5 & #10) and top 55 defenses (#55 & #47.) Toledo is #28 offense and #50 defense.

Willie Fritz. Get him now before he achieves Tom Herman level demand.

It definitely is. Coyle didn't come here himself for less money right? He's making more. And no way would Coyle come here if he's going to have a budget the same as he had at Boise. Harsin makes about 1.4 million at a a non P5 and his last year is worth 1.75. He might have made more if Bosie didn't pay 1.75 buyout to get him.

The Boise assistant coaches budget is 2.2 million.

Syracuse will pay way north of Boise for someone who deserves it.

I hope so. I'll believe it when I see it...