nassib's last 5 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

nassib's last 5 games

All I know is that I'm terrified of having to replace Ryan, Alec and Pugh next season more than any three players in a long time. Even moreso than DC3, because at least we had an idea about what Ant brought to the table.

I think (and hope) Funderburk is the real deal and helps fill the void.

The 1 int wasn't even his fault. It was Wales'.

Let's be honest, we're ALL full of on this board.

Sometimes we get lucky and something we say turns out to be true, and sometimes we don't and we end up being totally wrong.

The same people crowing that they knew it all along (whatever the "it" may be) were the same people totally wrong about something else not so long ago. And vice versa.

The only thing I knew FOR SURE 3 years ago was he had a lightning bolt for an arm compared to 3 of his 4 most recent predecessors (Paulus, Robinson, Nunes).

(NOTE: Perry Patterson could throw well enough, but the rinky-dink offense we ran with him was horrid - Chicken or egg??? You tell me)

Had no idea what Nassib's accuracy would be, but it was clear from very early on that the kid could fling it with the best of 'em and THAT - along with the promise of even a portion of New Orleans' offense coming up North - was enough to warrant optimism from me and many others 'round here.

Man, you would think Nassib was the worst QB in the world his first two years. Considering the talent around him (see: mediocre OL and WR corps his first two years), he had a very good 2010 and 11. Maybe he was more game managerish during those years, but I attribute that to our style of offense and our relative strength and dependence on our RBs.

And for the record, it's a complete myth that he was ever mistake prone. If anything, he was more risk averse than anything. Look at his TD to INT ratio career wise. Always good to very good. He's undoubtedly improved this year, but as you know Milly, I have thought we have had a good QB all along. Never have understood the anti Nassib faction on the board
i think it's a miraculous improvement where I don't know what i'm looking at any more and don't believe my eyes. like some football equivalent of ricki lake or some biggest loser hippo 0.5 that stops eating for a year and becomes a 7.5 (did i just admit i think ricki lake's ok?) or maybe the football inverse of kirstie alley or something. i don't know where i'm going with this

i fear that we're going to be forever doomed to suffer through years of badness in the future waiting for the lightbulb to come on but whatever, i could drop dead tomorrow, i'm glad this season is fun

maybe it's the no huddle that makes all the difference in the world but then that would put me in the king/grotto camp which is a hopeless wasteland of madness

The 1 int wasn't even his fault. It was Wales'.

I'll give both of them credit for that one unless Wales stopped short for some reason. The ball was a little wide and a little hard, but Wales probably should have made the catch. Nassib threw a fastball earlier on a TE route that was incomplete. He sometimes does that to TEs over the middle, but he has cut down on that significantly over the past 5 games or so and what I like is that when he makes a mistake he shakes it off and doesn't allow it to affect his mood or put him into a rut.

i'm loving the funderburke, thompson, west combo next year. 2 of the 3 unproven yes, but great athletes that have some hype to them.

I think you're wrong.

Sometimes we get lucky and something we say turns out to be true, and sometimes we don't and we end up being totally wrong.

The same people crowing that they knew it all along (whatever the "it" may be) were the same people totally wrong about something else not so long ago. And vice versa.

The OL improvement is a good point. Wasn't Nassib sacked some 50x once before? This year he's only been sacked 14 times.

IMO one of the biggest changes for Ryan has occurred during the season. Over the last 5 or 6 games he doesn't appear to be scared - no happy feet. He's standing strong in the pocket right up til the last mili second.

I think this has been a huge positive as guys have come open from their patterns and he's made some big throws with DLine right in his face. Earlier in the season he would've been tucking and running or just taken the sack.

The scared happy feet was blown out if proportion. It's a lot different getting 4 seconds to stand tall in a real pocket and your WR's having times to get into their breaks than it is having the pocket break down immediately and having ti get out of dodge at 2 seconds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

105-170, 1496 yards, 12 TD, 1 Int, 158 qb rating

i guess that's decent.

in 06-08, their leading qb only had 13, 11 and 13 td for the whole year

he's obviously way better than I thought he'd be but I still maintain anyone who thought they saw anything like this coming the previous two years is still on crack.

Why's that?

I don't think anybody saw a potential 4000 yd, 30 td season, but it was pretty obvious that he could be a top 25 QB, and even that was scoffed at.

That's a crock.

i think it's a miraculous improvement where I don't know what i'm looking at any more and don't believe my eyes. like some football equivalent of ricki lake or some biggest loser hippo 0.5 that stops eating for a year and becomes a 7.5 (did i just admit i think ricki lake's ok?) or maybe the football inverse of kirstie alley or something. i don't know where i'm going with this

i fear that we're going to be forever doomed to suffer through years of badness in the future waiting for the lightbulb to come on but whatever, i could drop dead tomorrow, i'm glad this season is fun

maybe it's the no huddle that makes all the difference in the world but then that would put me in the king/grotto camp which is a hopeless wasteland of madness

The last five games isn't because Nassib is suddenly a different player, it's because of Pugh and the run game have made the whole offense better.

There's a townhome for sale right next to me.

Once you get used to the madness it's actually a really nice neighborhood.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The last five games isn't because Nassib is suddenly a different player, it's because of Pugh and the run game have made the whole offense better.

Absolutely, give him a couple of extra seconds and the receivers have more time to get open. I think all the guys have stepped up and having Pugh back was/is huge.

whatever positive thing you can think of, i think it's all of it. i think nassib has improved a lot too. i'll give you credit for beating the Pugh drum hard for sure. but i think everyone's improvement is helping everyone's improvement. (each improvement is multiplicative, not just additive)

almost a full yard per play difference this year. that's awesome.

I'm surprised that's only the 20th best improvement in yards per play. I would've thought it would've been near the top but whatever, it's still great.

Interesting off topic yards per play stat: Florida state is #1 in offense and defense yards per play. They're the best team no one talks about. 7.27 to 3.67. That is amazing.

Why's that?

I don't think anybody saw a potential 4000 yd, 30 td season, but it was pretty obvious that he could be a top 25 QB, and even that was scoffed at.
well, he's not top 25 in passer rating. he's 33rd. he's obviously blown away my expectations but i think he's had a better year than just about everyone could've seen coming. so i don't think it's fair to say that it was obvious.

Man, you would think Nassib was the worst QB in the world his first two years. Considering the talent around him (see: mediocre OL and WR corps his first two years), he had a very good 2010 and 11. Maybe he was more game managerish during those years, but I attribute that to our style of offense and our relative strength and dependence on our RBs.

And for the record, it's a complete myth that he was ever mistake prone. If anything, he was more risk averse than anything. Look at his TD to INT ratio career wise. Always good to very good. He's undoubtedly improved this year, but as you know Milly, I have thought we have had a good QB all along. Never have understood the anti Nassib faction on the board

Personally, I think he just throws a much more accurate football this year. Maybe it's because of a better line, maybe it's because of a better run game. Whatever it is, it's happening. I can't ever remember feeling this confident on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long. I'm sure the stats will show high completion %'s at times in the past, but it seemed like we threw so many safe 3 yard passes to Provo. That little TE out play rears its head here and there, but maybe once per game now. We throw down the field much more this year.

He also puts more loft on the deep balls now. Which leads to some underthrows. But as we've seen, underthrows have a better chance of being caught than overthrows. Better chance of being intercepted too, but I'll take the good over the bad (DBs at a disadvantage, if they were so good at it, they'd be WRs). Past few years, it seemed like he tried to make the perfect throw with no chance of INT. Which meant nothing deep ever worked.

I'm encouraged with his development, because I will take that to mean that this staff can develop QBs. Gravy.

Personally, I think he just throws a much more accurate football this year. Maybe it's because of a better line, maybe it's because of a better run game. Whatever it is, it's happening. I can't ever remember feeling this confident on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long. I'm sure the stats will show high completion %'s at times in the past, but it seemed like we threw so many safe 3 yard passes to Provo. That little TE out play rears its head here and there, but maybe once per game now. We throw down the field much more this year.

He also puts more loft on the deep balls now. Which leads to some underthrows. But as we've seen, underthrows have a better chance of being caught than overthrows. Better chance of being intercepted too, but I'll take the good over the bad (DBs at a disadvantage, if they were so good at it, they'd be WRs). Past few years, it seemed like he tried to make the perfect throw with no chance of INT. Which meant nothing deep ever worked.

I'm encouraged with his development, because I will take that to mean that this staff can develop QBs. Gravy.
Underthrows have more pass int yards too

just keeping the ball in bounds has done wonders.

You are right about 3rd and longs, more than 10 was a gty'd punt (less than 10% conversion) until the last few games.

All I know is that I'm terrified of having to replace Ryan, Alec and Pugh next season more than any three players in a long time. Even moreso than DC3, because at least we had an idea about what Ant brought to the table.

Same here. It took us 13 years to get a QB playing on this level post-McNabb [and Nassib certainly had some mixed success the previous three years], and there is no obvious successor that I feel confident can play at the level Nassib is demonstrating this year.

i guess that's decent.

he's obviously way better than I thought he'd be but I still maintain anyone who thought they saw anything like this coming the previous two years is still on crack.

ARE YOU SAYING HCDM IS ON CRACK?

Same here. It took us 13 years to get a QB playing on this level post-McNabb [and Nassib certainly had some mixed success the previous three years], and there is no obvious successor that I feel confident can play at the level Nassib is demonstrating this year.
the trend is to throw less as the year goes on. and generally, he has better ratings. 21% of his qb rating is inversely related to the number of attempts if i got the r squared right (big if). it's only 21% but that's still somewhat important. as the year goes on, the trend is to run relatively more.

over nassib's whole career, there's not really much correlation.

need to run the ball a lot more and get attempts down to 25 a game.

another way to look at it - last year nassib threw 32 times each of the last 8 games (average 36). this year, 4 of the last 8 games have had 31 or fewer (avg 34)

considering the difference in pace this year (there's going to be more of everything), i think it tells us something or at least gives us a little hope that we don't neccessarily need to depend too much on a freshman throwing too much

What makes me optimistic is that we seem to finally have a system in place that will work as long as we have generally competent QB play. Talent and production-wise, the OL is getting better, our WRs seem to be getting better (Lemon & Sales aside), we have some depth at RB and TE... so with the pieces improving we might be able to get by as a new QB gets his feet wet.

What makes me optimistic is that we seem to finally have a system in place that will work as long as we have generally competent QB play. Talent and production-wise, the OL is getting better, our WRs seem to be getting better (Lemon & Sales aside), we have some depth at RB and TE... so with the pieces improving we might be able to get by as a new QB gets his feet wet.

And it's generally the same system that the incoming Texas QB has been running to the tune of about 100 points per game. The incoming freshman is a better runner as well. Not saying he'd hit the ground running to play next year, but if we keep consistency in everything we do, things should continue to look good.

i guess that's decent.

The pay side knew it when he committed.:)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2