Nathaniel Hackett: Up-and-coming coach in the Big East | Syracusefan.com

Nathaniel Hackett: Up-and-coming coach in the Big East

If you like tight end screens he's the guy for you!

I'm sure coaches and athletic directors throughout the country were salivating while watching Hackett's brilliant and exciting offense work its magic in 2011.

If you like tight end screens he's the guy for you!

1st and 10, call a tight end roll out
2nd and 8, call a tight end roll out
3rd and 5, call a tight end roll out
4th and 2, punt

What the hell is she smoking? Hackett has done nothing but lose games. His offense has been so predictable that he could have turned over his play card to the opposing DC's and done no worse. What has he done? What has he achieved? He has been out-coached by every DC in the Big East.

What the hell is she smoking? Hackett has done nothing but lose games. His offense has been so predictable that he could have turned over his play card to the opposing DC's and done no worse. What has he done? What has he achieved? He has been out-coached by every DC in the Big East.

Except Casteel from WVU :cool:

Like it or not Hackett is very well thought of in football circles, he will be a head coach sooner than later.

I'm sure coaches and athletic directors throughout the country were salivating while watching Hackett's brilliant and exciting offense work its magic in 2011.

Yeah, why can't the guy have our RBs run around the end for 80 yard TDs?

And why can't he just have Nassib throw 75 yard strikes to one of our speedy WRs?

If only Hackett would use the right system - one that is exciting and relies upon quick strike run and pass plays!

Like it or not Hackett is very well thought of in football circles, he will be a head coach sooner than later.
Based on what resume though? Smart guy or not at some point you need some results.

I'm not going to comment on what kind of coach Hackett is b/c I'll give him some more time (I think I know the answer, but I'll wait). But being well thought of in coaching circles often strikes me as the same thing as being well thought of in political circles -- who you know and what pedigree you have often accounts for much of that. When your dad was an NFL guy and college head coach, you, at the very least, have the connections and the benefit of the doubt in your favor.

And why can't he just have Nassib throw 75 yard strikes to one of our speedy WRs?

If only Hackett would use the right system - one that is exciting and relies upon quick strike run and pass plays!

I get what you're saying and I agree with the general premise, but I can't quite figure out how people are putting this all on talent. Isn't that essentially saying the coach doesn't matter? Navy's rushing for 300 yds/game consistently, Air Force has great offenses all the time, IAA's occasionally run up and down the field on us, Texas Tech routinely puts up ridiculous stats in the Big 12 ... why is that? They are simply out-talenting their opponents? Come on. Criticism of this offense and offensive coaching staff is warranted and shouldn't generate a bristled, incredulous response all the time.

Criticism of this offense and offensive coaching staff is warranted and shouldn't generate a bristled, incredulous response all the time.
No need for us to do it, they did it themselves. Marrone said they were going to be visiting some teams in the offseason to study their tactics for attacking more of the field (sideline to sideline I think). So they know what they want to do, and want to see what other people are doing, who are successful at it.

No need for us to do it, they did it themselves. Marrone said they were going to be visiting some teams in the offseason to study their tactics for attacking more of the field (sideline to sideline I think). So they know what they want to do, and want to see what other people are doing, who are successful at it.

But facts is facts. This offense has been basically abysmal or, if not abysmal, at least wholly underwhelming for three years. I mean, unless we're not going to comment on how great it is if we are improved, we should be allowed to comment on how bad it has been. And that stain, it would stand to reason, would seem to extend to the coaches in charge of said offense (even if left-over talent put them in a tough spot).

Hackett is a work in progress. 3 years ago he was a quality control assistant for the Bills; now he has 2 years under his belt with Marrone. He sold the program to our 2 QB recruits.

Have we been dynamic under Marrone? Of course not. But he squeezed a lot out of the skill guys on hand in a system designed to control the ball and limit mistakes. Biggest issue is that it is taking a long time to land recruits better than the guys left in the cupboard.

The test for Hackett is this year -- can he bring some imagination to using young talent like Broyld, Kobena, Thompson and PTG?

I get what you're saying and I agree with the general premise, but I can't quite figure out how people are putting this all on talent. Isn't that essentially saying the coach doesn't matter? Navy's rushing for 300 yds/game consistently, Air Force has great offenses all the time, IAA's occasionally run up and down the field on us, Texas Tech routinely puts up ridiculous stats in the Big 12 ... why is that? They are simply out-talenting their opponents? Come on. Criticism of this offense and offensive coaching staff is warranted and shouldn't generate a bristled, incredulous response all the time.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir when you talk about the option series that Navy, Air Force and Ga Tech run.

I love that offense.

I loved the freeze option offense when it truly defined Syracuse University Football. I grew up watching the wishbone and always loved that kind of dynamic running game.

I wish I knew why more coaches don't run the option these days. It certainly seems to work.

It could be that great athletes do not want to play in that offense or the coaches don't know how to teach it or simply don't want to run it.

I don't know.

I wonder if Nassib could run it. Since it seems that the QB will be running more this fall, I guess we'll see how good his feet really are.

And if the Orange runs anything like the K-State offense I think it will be an interesting one to watch.

All good questions. I always wondered why HCDM didn't call more TD plays. ;)

Hackett is a work in progress. 3 years ago he was a quality control assistant for the Bills; now he has 2 years under his belt with Marrone. He sold the program to our 2 QB recruits.

Have we been dynamic under Marrone? Of course not. But he squeezed a lot out of the skill guys on hand in a system designed to control the ball and limit mistakes. Biggest issue is that it is taking a long time to land recruits better than the guys left in the cupboard.

The test for Hackett is this year -- can he bring some imagination to using young talent like Broyld, Kobena, Thompson and PTG?
It depends on what Marrone allows as the HC who has the "last say" I like Marrone but he may be overly conservative in his play calling. End arounds aren't a surprise to most defenses. You can't run a back into the center of the line on first down continuously and hope to get 7+yards for a short second down and easy first . Nassib doesn't have the speed Allen or Wilson will show when they get on the field so keepers aren't going to go for TDs often.:rolleyes:

I love that offense.

I loved the freeze option offense when it truly defined Syracuse University Football. I grew up watching the wishbone and always loved that kind of dynamic running game.

I wish I knew why more coaches don't run the option these days. It certainly seems to work.

Yeah, I'm with you on all of that. I loved the freeze option.

Looking at that list and the way she writes about, it's more "up" than "coming".

Up and coming to me means you've shown something and you are a coach on the rise. Brooks Bollinger coaching High School until now doesn't make me think future star.

Looking at that list and the way she writes about, it's more "up" than "coming".

Up and coming to me means you've shown something and you are a coach on the rise. Brooks Bollinger coaching High School until now doesn't make me think future star.
"Up and coming" is too damn easy.:rolling:

Don't you get tired of throwing our players under the bus over and over again?

The "lack of talent" does not excuse Hackett's poor playcalling and overall lack of production we've seen against porous competition over the last two seasons.

Yeah, I'm sure another OC would have broken records with the dynamic players we had on offense. QB who can't move,fastest WR runs a 4.7, running backs who make gymnasts look big. Hackett sucks.

Nassib is by far our best QB since McNabb. That's the best over the last 15 years or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom