NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

Gotta imagine Ty Lue's job is gonna be called into question soon despite the fact that he basically doesn't do anything. I was pretty pessimistic about the moves Cleveland made this offseason, but this start is simply unacceptable.

I can. That's a great way to keep losing, LeBron. That'll get you past the Warriors.

I think the Warriors will wax everyone, but it's not like they've had the best start in the world either.

I can. That's a great way to keep losing, LeBron. That'll get you past the Warriors.
Just to clarify... there is nothing the Cavs can do to get past the Warriors. If they didn't do it last year it's not going to happen. My point was that Lebron can coast, turn it on in the playoffs and still is pretty much guaranteed to get to the finals. The east is terrible... Boston had a shot before Hayward's injury... Milwaukee is a few players away... Wall can't seem to bring it in winning time... the sixers are years away... Toronto is very meh. I can't even name 2 other teams in the east who would even finish above .500 in the west. The Knicks, Hawks, Heat, Nets, Hornets, magic, pacers, pistons are all fighting it out for the last 2 spots. That's how bad the east is.

I think the Warriors will wax everyone, but it's not like they've had the best start in the world either.

The Warriors are playing sloppy offense and turning the ball over at very high rate. I think that’s more correctable than getting Wade, Rose, and Korver playing good defense.

Zach Lowe said it best last night. They may have to make some uncomfortable rotation decisions at some point to be able to build a solid defense.

The Warriors are playing sloppy offense and turning the ball over at very high rate. I think that’s more correctable than getting Wade, Rose, and Korver playing good defense.

Zach Lowe said it best last night. They may have to make some uncomfortable rotation decisions at some point to be able to build a solid defense.

No question, the Warriors are going to beat everyone, like I've said.

I've been bearish on the Cavs ever since the Kyrie trade and the news came out that IT would be for for a while. Look at that guard rotation; it's hideous.

They chopped half of the preseason so that teams could had fewer back to backs... typically the NBA doesn't start until Halloween. Things should normalize over the next few weeks.

KP for MVP? let's get the talk going
It's weird to see such a flawed team execute...after watching more talented teams piss away season after season.

KP for MVP? let's get the talk going
Ha... I think KP is the newest Dirk Nowitski model... did Dirk every win an MVP? I'm honestly asking as I have no idea.

I love KP but he doesn't dominate the game in all facets and over 4 quarters like MVPs do... yet. Will be interesting to see if he can develop that or will remain an offensive machine. There was a three play stretch in the 4th where he caught the sick alley oop, blocked a shot on the other end, and then JUST missed a three ball. If that three had gone in the garden would have exploded. Once he starts dominating in stretches more regularly I'll start thinking of him as an MVP.

It's weird to see such a flawed team execute...after watching more talented teams piss away season after season.
They seemed to have flipped a switch on D and are actually playing it effectively. Between that and their dominance on their boards they can stay in a lot of games. I don't think they have enough offense to finish above .500 but it will be fun to watch them and that's the first time I can say that in a LONG time.

Ha... I think KP is the newest Dirk Nowitski model... did Dirk every win an MVP? I'm honestly asking as I have no idea.

I love KP but he doesn't dominate the game in all facets and over 4 quarters like MVPs do... yet. Will be interesting to see if he can develop that or will remain an offensive machine. There was a three play stretch in the 4th where he caught the sick alley oop, blocked a shot on the other end, and then JUST missed a three ball. If that three had gone in the garden would have exploded. Once he starts dominating in stretches more regularly I'll start thinking of him as an MVP.

Dirk won the 2007 MVP. The year Dallas lost in round 1 to Golden State.

Obviously this was tongue in cheek, just having some fun. The big difference in favor of KP vs Dirk is that KP is an elite rim protector.

He really needs to work on his passing though. He has 5 assists total in 6 games. And he's going to face a ton of defensive attention, so there will be passes to be made.

Dirk won the 2007 MVP. The year Dallas lost in round 1 to Golden State.

Obviously this was tongue in cheek, just having some fun. The big difference in favor of KP vs Dirk is that KP is an elite rim protector.

He really needs to work on his passing though. He has 5 assists total in 6 games. And he's going to face a ton of defensive attention, so there will be passes to be made.
Your last paragraph is where I see Willy fitting in, he had a little more low post moxie than Kanter, but the big fella is getting it done through 6 games.

I have no problem with Horny keeping a short bench and selling out for wins, but at some point something will have to give.

Unless, this new schedule makes it irrelevant.

Last edited:
Porzingis is an all star for sure this year.
Average Al Horford is really the only guy to shut him down thus far.

Just what the Knicks want to win enough games for the Hawks/Bulls/Suns to get an early lead in tanking. It looks like there are potentially 3 studs in this year’s draft.

Pace yourselves, mates, it's still pre-season, long, long way to go.

But sure is nice to see a NY team generating a little bit of excitement (are they better sans Carmelo?) and teams like Detroit going into Golden State and taking them down.

Nice night last night for some Eastern teams on the road vs. some studs from the almighty Western Division: Charlotte wins at Memphis, Orlando wins at Nawlins, Toronto wins in the Pacific Northwest, and -- heart be still -- the Sixers take down the Rockets in Tejas.

Meanwhile, in northeast Ohio, the Cavs were partying at Chez James. Isaiah gets my vote for best costume.

Bucks Insider (basically the equivalent of Jake here) is saying a Bledsoe-Milwaukee trade is a long shot at this point. He says Milwaukee isn't nearly as interested as has been reported, and Phoenix is only willing to trade him to Milwaukee if they're getting Brogdon or Jabari in return and Milwaukee basically told them to off.

Bucks Insider (basically the equivalent of Jake here) is saying a Bledsoe-Milwaukee trade is a long shot at this point. He says Milwaukee isn't nearly as interested as has been reported, and Phoenix is only willing to trade him to Milwaukee if they're getting Brogdon or Jabari in return and Milwaukee basically told them to off.
That would be a bad deal for the Bucks. Lookin' forward to them playing OKC tonight.

OKC beat the brakes off the Bucks.

Hot take: Carmelo becoming a 3 and D guy who can still create his own shot pretty well too?

OKC beat the brakes off the Bucks.

Hot take: Carmelo becoming a 3 and D guy who can still create his own shot pretty well too?

The D still stands for defense, right?

The D still stands for defense, right?

He’s played great defense every time I’ve watched this year, and the defensive statistics back it up so far. We’ll see if it holds.

He’s played great defense every time I’ve watched this year, and the defensive statistics back it up so far. We’ll see if it holds.

Obviously the sample size is small and this accounts for more than just Melo, but OKC is 10 points better defensively when Melo is on the bench this season.

Probably far too early to really make any declarations about his defense regardless though. He is off to a nice start overall.

I haven't seen much of the thunder this year, I've seen a lot of Melo. He's a very indifferent defender. I doubt at this age he's going to improve a lot. (Also, i'm just having a little fun with that comment anyway).

I think the first part of the comment is more interesting though; a (very) cursory reading of the stats makes it look like he's been a lot more of a spot-up guy this year. He's been assisted on 41% of his 2 pointers this year, that would be the highest since his Denver days. 87.5% of his 3's, would be the highest in about 10 years. Obviously, it's early.

Speaking of small sample sizes and hilarious stats:

1. Giannis shooting 40% from 3 this season (on a solid 2 attempts per game) versus Middleton shooting 20%.

2. Lakers with Lonzo: -15.4 points per 100 possessions
Lakers without Lonzo: +11.7 points per 100 possessions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom