NBA 2018-2019 | Page 114 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

Per Zach, "The door is slightly ajar for a surprise Davis suitor beyond the Lakers, Knicks and Celtics. But Gayle Benson has empowered Griffin, and the bet here is that Griffin will push for the best deal -- if a deal happens -- without much regard to the destination."
He said on TV the league thinks the Pelicans ownership is stupid enough to hold a grudge against Lakers for the Rams/Saints thing.
I don’t think AD is going to the Lakers but I have been wrong plenty.

He said on TV the league thinks the Pelicans ownership is stupid enough to hold a grudge against Lakers for the Rams/Saints thing.
I don’t think AD is going to the Lakers but I have been wrong plenty.

Getting up to #4 sure helped out. I'm with you that after the top 3 I might swing for the fences with Bol Bol. Might be just because of how he destroyed us but I don't see a higher ceiling after the clear top 3.

Getting up to #4 sure helped out. I'm with you that after the top 3 I might swing for the fences with Bol Bol. Might be just because of how he destroyed us but I don't see a higher ceiling after the clear top 3.
Bol Bol is the guy I have been all over. I want him to get to 14 badly. I was in the minority of Celtics fans in wanting the Memphis pick this year to take him at 9.

I see a ceiling a level below the Greak Freak.
His injury history prevents him from being a top 5 pick I just hope these stupid teams pass on him.

I think Lebron trades the 4th pick, but if they keep it I'm very worried about the Lakers drafting that smoldering trash heap Reddish.
If I were picking 4th I would take Jarett Culver. He seems like a guy who will be good.

If I were picking 4th I would take Jarett Culver. He seems like a guy who will be good.

I’d take De’Andre Hunter. Better shooter and defender than Culver.

In reference to Bol Bol, bad feet on bigs scare me.

I think I'd lean towards Garland if I'm the Lakers, but I personally probably prefer Culver and Hunter as prospects over him in general.

Anyone that says it's good for the the NBA that Zion goes to the Pelicans is delusional. The Pelicans are the sideshow. It's always been and it always will be a Saints town down in NOLA. It's a joke. They didn't appreciate AD while he was there and it's about to start the same cycle over again with Zion.

And yes, as a Knicks fan I hate the new format. We got screwed. Although the Suns, Bulls and Cavs got it worse. And it's an absolute sham that the Lakers, who won 37 games got the 4 seed. They need to balance this out. The Knicks didn't tank like the Sixers did. Big difference.

Anyone that says it's good for the the NBA that Zion goes to the Pelicans is delusional. The Pelicans are the sideshow. It's always been and it always will be a Saints town down in NOLA. It's a joke. They didn't appreciate AD while he was there and it's about to start the same cycle over again with Zion.

And yes, as a Knicks fan I hate the new format. We got screwed. Although the Suns, Bulls and Cavs got it worse.

To be fair, they figured out that if they split up the ping pong balls based on the previous system's odds, the Knicks pick still would have ended up being #3. #1 and #2 would have been Atlanta and Washington.

Was thinking that this was one of the worst groups of talent in the lottery beyond the top 3 and went back to look and guess I forgot about 2011 and 2013.

And yes, as a Knicks fan I hate the new format. We got screwed. Although the Suns, Bulls and Cavs got it worse. And it's an absolute sham that the Lakers, who won 37 games got the 4 seed. They need to balance this out. The Knicks didn't tank like the Sixers did. Big difference.

It may not be good for the NBA but it's damn good for the Pelicans. They hire Grif, allow him to hire and bring in solid support staff, allow him to start renovating and improving facilities. They have AD to set themselves up for the future and they also now will get Zion. I think it's maybe a bit premature to say that they cant win there and it's not like Grif just took the job because he had no other options. It's pretty much his show and vision. Will be interesting. I think the City of New Orleans will 100% back this franchise if there is some demonstrated success on the court and I think Gayle Benson has made it clear they aren't going anywhere for the awhile. They caught a huge break, the rest of the league will just have to deal with it. Time will tell but the franchise will be funded and backed by Gayle Benson and I think that is becoming 100% clear. Onward and upward and I don't think there are many people within the franchise who won't believe that they can't compete at the highest level because the guy who is calling the shots not only doesn't believe it but won't tolerate it.

Not really. They take Morant and call it a day. Maybe keep Conley around until the deadline to show him how its done and then sell him for whatever assets you can.
Clearly you have no imagination. ;)

Clearly you have no imagination. ;)

Well when you're in the process of a rebuild and your star PG that you were shopping at the deadline is going to be 32 when the season starts and the fairly clear #2 guy in the draft is a PG. It doesn't really take a lot of imagination.

Well when you're in the process of a rebuild and your star PG that you were shopping at the deadline is going to be 32 when the season starts and the fairly clear #2 guy in the draft is a PG. It doesn't really take a lot of imagination.
moving that 32 year old with the huge contract does

you spelled r.c. buford wrong
Buford does whatever Popovich wants.
Popovich is like Belichick he has complete ultimate power in the organization. Even without the title of GM just like Belichick.

moving that 32 year old with the huge contract does

Don't think so. Conley is still seen as a positive asset with just 2 years left on it. Already rumors about the Jazz trying to go after him again. This isn't the debacles of Wall, Westbrook or Paul's contracts we're talking about.

Don't think so. Conley is still seen as a positive asset with just 2 years left on it. Already rumors about the Jazz trying to go after him again. This isn't the debacles of Wall, Westbrook or Paul's contracts we're talking about.
Conley isn’t going to get that much of a return.
His contract is more valuable than he is. As when it expires gives that team a lot of potential cap space.
Utah wouldn’t give the rebuilding Grizzlies a package that would be that attractive. Utah is able to stay competitive because they find value and don’t overpay in trades.

If the Grizzlies get 2 first round picks for Conley that is probably the best case. The West is so loaded they aren’t going to the playoffs the next few years.
Clippers are getting better.
Lakers will get better.
Nuggets are getting Porter Jr.
Warriors will still be dominant.
Rockets are a playoff team.
Blazers, Thunder, Spurs, Jazz are better.

That leaves Kings/TWolves/Mavs all better than the Grizzlies.
Pelicans, Suns, Grizzlies are lottery teams next year.

Conley isn’t going to get that much of a return.
His contract is more valuable than he is. As when it expires gives that team a lot of potential cap space.
Utah wouldn’t give the rebuilding Grizzlies a package that would be that attractive. Utah is able to stay competitive because they find value and don’t overpay in trades.

If the Grizzlies get 2 first round picks for Conley that is probably the best case. The West is so loaded they aren’t going to the playoffs the next few years.
Clippers are getting better.
Lakers will get better.
Nuggets are getting Porter Jr.
Warriors will still be dominant.
Rockets are a playoff team.
Blazers, Thunder, Spurs, Jazz are better.

That leaves Kings/TWolves/Mavs all better than the Grizzlies.
Pelicans, Suns, Grizzlies are lottery teams next year.

He's not gonna fetch a ton but he was talking as if he was a negative asset.

and I don't think they will, going to be a bidding war between LAL, LAC, knicks and the Celts.

Pels will need a point guard, 3 that can shoot as well.

But the Knicks will probably need to start here Mitch, the 3 pick, Frankie Smokes, 2021 Mavs 1st, 2021 Knicks protected ( 1-4), 2023 Dallas 1st protected ( 1-10)... and maybe Knox It's going to get stupid
Knicks are idiots if they give up all those #1 draft picks plus their few good young players for a guy who is injury prone. How many playoff wins did the Pelicans have with him? You don't need a big scoring center in today's NBA. You need multiple 3 point wing shooters. Aircraft carrier ball is obsolete. But then we all know the Knicks are the dumbest team in the league so nothing they do shocks me.

NBA is the only major sport where the draft order is not transparent but decided in a back room by some mysterious process. I find it a bit too convenient that New Orleans gets the 1st pick. A franchise in bad shape and teetering on the edge of destruction if AD forces his way out to Lakers. Now they have a new hot superstar to save the franchise. Add in that Lakers move up like 7 spots in the draft order to get the #4 pick so they can trade it to NO for AD now and get NBA meal-ticket LeBron back in the playoffs. The Suns and Cavs who openly tanked were punished by moving down. And the Knicks who mostly just have no talent more so than tanking were tossed a bone to get 3rd.

Knicks are idiots if they give up all those #1 draft picks plus their few good young players for a guy who is injury prone. How many playoff wins did the Pelicans have with him? You don't need a big scoring center in today's NBA. You need multiple 3 point wing shooters. Aircraft carrier ball is obsolete. But then we all know the Knicks are the dumbest team in the league so nothing they do shocks me.

Easy to forget that the Pelicans won 48 games and swept the Blazers in the playoffs last year. And that was just giving Davis a little bit of help. We’re talking Holiday having a great year and Rajon Rondo - not all NBA guys.

He’s spent his whole career in the loaded West with little help.

With him it’s not just about having a “big scoring center” - he’s also an outstanding defensive player and rebounder who can anchor a defense. Also a good passer, and has even become a decent 3 point shooter.

I remember the narrative getting a little bit negative on Olajuwon in the early 90s, when he had little help and his teams weren’t doing much. That all changed in a hurry. Davis is similar in that he has a huge impact on both ends. Only real knock on him is durability.

NBA is the only major sport where the draft order is not transparent but decided in a back room by some mysterious process. I find it a bit too convenient that New Orleans gets the 1st pick. A franchise in bad shape and teetering on the edge of destruction if AD forces his way out to Lakers. Now they have a new hot superstar to save the franchise. Add in that Lakers move up like 7 spots in the draft order to get the #4 pick so they can trade it to NO for AD now and get NBA meal-ticket LeBron back in the playoffs. The Suns and Cavs who openly tanked were punished by moving down. And the Knicks who mostly just have no talent more so than tanking were tossed a bone to get 3rd.

Yeah, the Suns and Cavs have never got the number one pick while openly tanking before...
DisguisedUnsightlyEagle-max-1mb.gif.cf.gif

Pascal Siakam was a freaking great find.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom