NBA Draft Tonight | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

They're not going to have a whole lot around George unless they get really creative.

If they dump Hibbert somewhere, they'll have enough cap space for a max contract at least, so they'll have some financial flexibility in all likelihood, but I agree that they're being overrated if we think they're a lock to make the playoffs.

The Knicks slowly went away from the triangle as the season progressed. Drafting Grant shows that they are looking to run with more of a pick and roll offense next season. They ran a ton of P n R's as the season progressed. Let things play out.

Of Melo isn't happy they need to trade him to continue this rebuild. This is the first time they seem to be doing it the right way, although you could argue they were on the right path prior to the Melo deal in 2011.

If only Melo waits a few months so we don't give up so much and all those picks.

Phil Jackson is just stealing Dolan's money. The guy has not been consistent in his plan. Unless he swings a miracle and gets Marc Gasol the Knicks will suck next year. Aldridge is going to San Antonio or Portland, Rondo is going to Sacramento, Love is going to LA or Cleveland. Phil needs Gasol or the NYK are garbage next year. Melo should have gone to Chicago in a sign and trade.
I doubt Phil's looking to score in the draft .. it's free agency. With the draft alone, I agree with you ... why take a post project who'll take 2-3 years to gel when your franchise player is ready for a complimentary cast right now.

I am a Celtics fan and I am pissed at Ainge. Every year he talks a big game and does nothing. He would have been smarter to then say he was trying to move up and do nothing.

I know your Louisville guy but I think the worst 1st round pick BY FAR was Rozier at 16. He can't shoot, he is small, and he can't pass well enough to play PG. He is a good defender, but the C's didn't need that at guard.
Rozier will be behind Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, and Evan Turner. Then C's go and take R Hunter and the guard from W&M. Ainge failed this draft. Martin isn't enough rim protection. Bobby Portis or Sam Decker would have been the picks that made sense. Rozier will be lucky if gets to Bradley's level but he will likely be Marcus Banks 2.0 and hopefully be traded soon.
I understand your frustration. I also get tired of big talk and no action. I'm with you on that. I read the tweets and rumors that always say that they tried really hard to make a deal, practically offering the house, but with no takers. Who knows.

As for Rozier, I was surprised because indeed the Celts have too many guards. There must be a trade coming sometime, unless it's more smoke and mirrors. Despite liking Rozier, I also thought he was drafted too high and the Celtics need front court help much more, not back court. With that said, I'm not as pessimistic about Rozier as you might be, time will tell as they say. But I think he can do well with a lot of work, whether it's with the Celtics or elsewhere. He is a tenacious defender and penetrator, which they need but not sure if he brings that much more to the table than what they already have in other guards. His shot can be very good if it would become more consistent.

Eventually something's got to give. They have too many draft pics and guards. I hope they keep Smart, I think he can become very good in time. But they need a very good F or C. I like Crowder, hard to tell what will become of Sullinger, and am luke warm on Zeller. With Ainge, who know who will stay or go, or whether it's just more hot air.

Is "bouncy" the new hot word to describe prospects? Are "length" and "motor" on the way out?

Does that advice apply to the Cuse?

College basketball is a little different, because it is more about the coach, and roster turnover happens so often, esp in the one and done era.

Maybe so, but this pick is essentially a big F-you to their franchise player. What was the point in signing Carmelo if you're looking to win three or four years down the road? And I won't even comment on Phil's obsession with the triangle. I suppose his rings buy him time, but I'm sensing he's overmatched in his current role.
Jay Bilas says the Knicks won draft night. Pretty strong praise and I'll take his analysis over yours. Perhaps PJ doesn't see it taking 3-4 years. And BTW, none of the players available at#4 are going to be major factors for 2-3 years. Huh...go figure. Melo's help will have to come via FA and next years increased cap. Nothing the knicks can/could do were going to make them winners next year and it certainly could mortgage the future. Hats off to Phil. Also, Melo's tweet seems to indicate he's on board.

Oh yea, I forgot, 2 point jump shots...triangle...archaic basketball. Sounds awesome. West and Monroe have a mid-range game but neither is a 3 point threat, which is fine when your SF doesn't like to iso on the mid-post/block, not very advantageous when he does. ...but #triangle, 2 point jumpshots are the greatest.
You do realize that parts of the triangle are in almost every good teams offense, right? NY is not strictly a triangle offense. They are a blend of triangle (motion), and P&R. Melo will adapt or get traded.

Jay Bilas says the Knicks won draft night. Pretty strong praise and I'll take his analysis over yours. Perhaps PJ doesn't see it taking 3-4 years. And BTW, none of the players available at#4 are going to be major factors for 2-3 years. Huh...go figure. Melo's help will have to come via FA and next years increased cap. Nothing the knicks can/could do were going to make them winners next year and it certainly could mortgage the future. Hats off to Phil. Also, Melo's tweet seems to indicate he's on board.

I love Bilas, I think he is the best analyst in the business, but how much does he really know about the kid the knicks drafted? He is busy watching college basketball all year long.

I love Bilas, I think he is the best analyst in the business, but how much does he really know about the kid the knicks drafted? He is busy watching college basketball all year long.

More than you, I, or the other poster. Pretty sure.

Of course, but do you think hes actually seen this kid play?
In person? Likely not, but there are plenty of full games out there to watch. You can get a decent feel for a guy through them...

Manu Ginobli, Paul Millsap, Marc Gasol, Goran Dragic, Carlos Boozer, Isaiah Thomas, Mo Williams, Draymond Green, and Monta Ellis were all drafted in the 2nd round. There are plenty of first round guys that didn't pan out. The scouts don't always get it right. Rak could very well have a 10 year NBA career. Danny Shayes and Jason Hart played longer than that.

There are always exceptions. Of course Rak has a chance. I just think many here underestimate how difficult it is to maintain a long nba career. We don't have to look far to see evidence of that wrt to former SU players, many of whom were drafted higher than Rak. The fact that just 5 out of 30 2010 NBA 2nd rounders are still in the league drives that point home quite well.

There are always exceptions. Of course Rak has a chance. I just think many here underestimate how difficult it is to maintain a long nba career. We don't have to look far to see evidence of that wrt to former SU players, many of whom were drafted higher than Rak. The fact that just 5 out of 30 2010 NBA 2nd rounders are still in the league drives that point home quite well.
And yet there are 10 from 2009.

That's still only 1 of 3 and a long way from a 10+ year NBA career as was suggested earlier in the thread.

You mean to tell us that NBA success is NOT guaranteed????

This is a pedantic discussion. Rak has the tools to have a long career as a journeyman, and quality bigs tend to have fairly lengthy careers. Of course it doesn't mean that it is a guarantee. As some have pointed out in this thread, there are plenty of second rounders who have gone on to have lengthy NBA careers--some of them starting / becoming all stars. Just like there are first rounders who bust and barely make a ripple.

Who knows how Rak's career is going to go? He might struggle to make the team he was traded to as a 2nd rounder. Then again, maybe they'll be looking for cheap depth, and his second round salary makes him an attractive end of bench guy. Guess we'll find out. But you certainly can't say with any certainty that he won't be a 10+ year NBA career guy, any more than anyone can forecast with any accuracy how his career will unfold. Using trends is generally informative, but success occurs on a case-by-case basis in the NBA. Rak having success or not making the league won't have anything to do with how other players who've been second round picks have fared before him.

Last edited:
You do realize that parts of the triangle are in almost every good teams offense, right? NY is not strictly a triangle offense. They are a blend of triangle (motion), and P&R. Melo will adapt or get traded.
I do however, a frontcourt of Melo-West-Monroe isn't very complimentary of each other.

IMO, the biggest move I saw was the trade for Jerian Grant who is a pick n roll guard. I don't care if we run some components of the triangle but when Phil Jackson pimps 2 point jumpshots and rips 3 point shooting teams in the Playoffs it makes me worry a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom