NBA Draft Tonight | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

Gladly I am getting annoyed dealing trolling. The David West case is interesting. Cleveland and San Antonio competing for West. Cleveland is also offering Brooklyn Andy Varajeo and Brandon Haywood's non guaranteed contract for Joe Johnson. If Cleveland has Johnson over JR Smith that would be a good upgrade.

The West is a 3 way dance between OKC, San Antonio, and Golden State.

OKC is an interesting animal. Westbrook marked his territory last year and thats not a good thing for the Thunder. The chemistry that got them to a finals has been non existant lately be it due to injury or personnel moves. With the coaching change, upcoming Durant FA among other things it should be interesting. What once looked like a good spot for Dion looks more like his situation in Cleveland all over again. I cant imagine being a teammate of Westbrooks in how often takes a bad shot vs making the easy pass.

How was Mario Chalmers a bust? He was a second round pick with 8 years under his belt. If Grant or Christmas play 8 years in the league would they be considered busts?
No offense I did say bust or underachiever, but as Zoo said we need to let these internet superiority threads go. I have no problem saying I am wrong. Chamlers has been okay, but he isn't anything more than a role player who can make some good plays. Role players are important.

OKC is an interesting animal. Westbrook marked his territory last year and thats not a good thing for the Thunder. The chemistry that got them to a finals has been non existant lately be it due to injury or personnel moves. With the coaching change, upcoming Durant FA among other things it should be interesting. What once looked like a good spot for Dion looks more like his situation in Cleveland all over again. I cant imagine being a teammate of Westbrooks in how often takes a bad shot vs making the easy pass.
I've always seen Westbrook as a guy who wants to be the Alpha at all costs and makes insanely idiotic plays as a result. He never really wanted to be a distributer guy despite that mostly being what the offense needed. It's no surprise to me that when Durant got hurt, he went into hero mode.

With Durant presumably returning healthy, it will be very I retesting to see the dynamics of the Thunder. I would love it to go wrong and for OKC to have to watch Durant be the biggest superstar to change teams in FA since the decision. I'd love it even more if he took his talents to NY to help revive the Knicks in the East.

hey Craig Forth - you're still ticked that I was right about MR. Get over it.

You are trying hard to say you're not a troll, but then you repeatedly call Malachi Richardson overrated because of two all-star games that barely resemble college basketball.

bold-strategy-cotton.jpg

I've always seen Westbrook as a guy who wants to be the Alpha at all costs and makes insanely idiotic plays as a result. He never really wanted to be a distributer guy despite that mostly being what the offense needed. It's no surprise to me that when Durant got hurt, he went into hero mode.

With Durant presumably returning healthy, it will be very I retesting to see the dynamics of the Thunder. I would love it to go wrong and for OKC to have to watch Durant be the biggest superstar to change teams in FA since the decision. I'd love it even more if he took his talents to NY to help revive the Knicks in the East.

He would be a good transitional guy for NY to play with Melo and take over. Many say they cant play together but i disagree given he is a perimeter guy who worked well with westbrook when westbrook was willing. Right now NY is building a team that is a smart collection. Guys like oquinn and porzingas will grow as will lopez. Proven commodities are always the hot chick in town but not always so glamorous when they are in a new dress 6 months later.

I think Jordan is going to dissapoint in Dallas. He wants the ball more but is no shaq around the hoop. He will be good no doubt but for those expecting dwight howard... You are getting a more physical and slight improvement to chandler at his apex. Couple that with what i expect to be dirk truly showing his age and an odd fit with matthews and cuban wont be a happy guy. Maybe im wrong but i dont see it.

He would be a good transitional guy for NY to play with Melo and take over. Many say they cant play together but i disagree given he is a perimeter guy who worked well with westbrook when westbrook was willing. Right now NY is building a team that is a smart collection. Guys like oquinn and porzingas will grow as will lopez. Proven commodities are always the hot chick in town but not always so glamorous when they are in a new dress 6 months later.

I think Jordan is going to dissapoint in Dallas. He wants the ball more but is no shaq around the hoop. He will be good no doubt but for those expecting dwight howard... You are getting a more physical and slight improvement to chandler at his apex. Couple that with what i expect to be dirk truly showing his age and an odd fit with matthews and cuban wont be a happy guy. Maybe im wrong but i dont see it.
I think the Mavs moves this offseason don't have as much to do with next season as they do the years after that. They're going to have an interesting group to build around.

Also of note - all three of their free agent splashes this offseason and last offseason were either 2nd round draft picks or undrafted free agents.

Joe Johnson possibly to Cleveland? Ugh, just when I started respecting Lebron. Hard to acknowledge his greatness when he's constantly on super teams.

Sorry I gotta disagree. Ohio State and Michigan will always be football schools first. Wisconsin is no where close to Indiana. Bo Ryan has done a good job, but he elevated the program, but that job isn't in the ballpark of IU. Wisconsin doesn't produce the players in-state that Indiana does and Wisconsin is probably equally a football/basketball school.

I can agree Michigan State is probably the closest Big Ten basketball job to Indiana. Currently being better does mean the job is better. Indiana HS BB is probably the best outside of NYC. Indiana is a great job being held by a total in over his head boob who took advantage of Kelvin Sampson cheating to get the job. Look at Kentucky after 1999 Tubby had them losing 10 games a year and that program underachieved until they got Calipari. If Indiana gets the right coach I.E. Brad Stevens they become scary in college hoops.

I'll agree to disagree. Indiana is like UCLA to me. Great for a long time, but not much lately. They won their last title against us in 87, and we have been to two final fours since they last went to one. I hear you on the great/coach a la Calipari, but great coaches can win anywhere today. Calipari proved that at Memphis. Nobody thinks UCLA is a top 10 program anymore.

I actually think the football school mentality helps Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin, because they are using that money to invest in the basketball program.

Crean has got good talent to go there, but he reminds me of Steve Lavin, someone who can collect talent, but doesn't know how to put a team together.

Indiana had their best season in years when we beat them in 2013. The program eroded a long time before Kelvin Sampson. The late Knight years were relatively average as most top recruits didn't want to play for a a drill sargeant and it continued to go down hill during the Mike Davis years.

Anyway we are talking about a conference who still hasn't won a title this milennium. Last year was the BIGS best recent shot.

Joe Johnson possibly to Cleveland? Ugh, just when I started respecting Lebron. Hard to acknowledge his greatness when he's constantly on super teams.

You won't be good with Joe Johnson as your first best player, but your fourth?

I think Cleveland knows they can get out of the east, but they know they need more firepower to beat whoever comes out of the west.

He was in a better situation in Cleveland. I was a huge fan, but I'm afraid this season will be huge in determining which direction his career goes: to finding his role (Dion, despite his ego, is not gonna be the Alpha Dog/primary shooter on many, if any NBA teams) or head to China.

I actually like what the Knicks have done this offseason.

Lopez
Porzingis
Melo
Afflalo
Grant

O'Quinn
Williams
Calderon

The Williams signing is low-risk, high reward. They got good value out of un an underated O'Quinn, and Lopez is a solid center/rim protector, and passer. The important thing for the Knicks is they need to make themselves relevant again. If they can win 40-45 games this year somehow, then a big name will me more likely to sign next year.

I still don't understand what the lakers are doing. Lou Williams and Kobe on the court together should be fun to watch as they take turns shooting contested 25 footers.

Oh Lord now I have to re-hash this all over again. I watched him play in person a few times and was very unimpressed. Did you watch him in the all star games?

All-star games determine a kid's college career?

I actually like what the Knicks have done this offseason.

Lopez
Porzingis
Melo
Afflalo
Grant

O'Quinn
Williams
Calderon

The Williams signing is low-risk, high reward. They got good value out of un an underated O'Quinn, and Lopez is a solid center/rim protector, and passer. The important thing for the Knicks is they need to make themselves relevant again. If they can win 40-45 games this year somehow, then a big name will me more likely to sign next year.

I still don't understand what the lakers are doing. Lou Williams and Kobe on the court together should be fun to watch as they take turns shooting contested 25 footers.
Agreed. Based on what our circumstances allowed, I think we've done as well as we can do. Took a gamble on Porzingis which at 4 is fine since the top 3 were gone. Traded for Jerian Grant who the staff seems high on and then signed a really solid Center rotation of Lopez/O'Quinn along with a decent starting SG in Afflalo. Not crazy about Derrick Williams at 5 mil but he does fill a need at PF whether it be starting or backing up Porzingis. The team actually looks like it fits. No random pieces. Expectations should be a low playoff seed imo.

Say what? He was elevated from assistant to head coach to take over for Jud Heathcote. Michigan State finished ranked 11th the year before he took over and had been to the tournament 5 out of the previous 6 years. He just expanded on his predecessors success.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/jud-heathcote-1.html

Mess is an definitely an overstatement. Michigan State had an NIT in there, and a 1st and 2nd round loss in the NCAA's along with two 2nd round losses before Izzo took over. Prior to that there was an NIT and two losing seasons. Heathcote had 5 losing seasons in the 80's too.

Agreed. Based on what our circumstances allowed, I think we've done as well as we can do. Took a gamble on Porzingis which at 4 is fine since the top 3 were gone. Traded for Jerian Grant who the staff seems high on and then signed a really solid Center rotation of Lopez/O'Quinn along with a decent starting SG in Afflalo. Not crazy about Derrick Williams at 5 mil but he does fill a need at PF whether it be starting or backing up Porzingis. The team actually looks like it fits. No random pieces. Expectations should be a low playoff seed imo.

This is where I've landed. I'm really high on the Porzingis pick, but just not sure how much he can contribute right away.

They should be looking at the bottom half of the East bracket and hopefully will play some entertaining ball (doubt it, but you never know).

Would love to Seattle and Vegas get a team. There is SOOOOOOOO much talent out there that an extra 26 guys added to the league wouldn't ruin the product. I doubt expansion will happen but it would be cool.

They are building an arena behind NY NY, will be interesting what happens.

I'll believe the Bucks are leaving Milwaukee when the new owners actually sell the team.

I guess politics can get in the way, but it would be beyond stupid for Wisconsin to let them go.

I don't think more NBA teams would be good for the NBA. We have enough teams that are unwatchable now, and only about 4 teams are capable of winning the finals next year (GS, SAS, CLE, OKC). Four more teams will add more teams to mediocrity and more teams to purgatory.

I'll believe the Bucks are leaving Milwaukee when the new owners actually sell the team.

I guess politics can get in the way, but it would be beyond stupid for Wisconsin to let them go.
Herb Kohl had to protect the Milwaukee fans in the sale right? I personally hate publicly funding for professional sports teams. These league are flush with money and the freaking owners don't want to spend their own money.

The city of Boston has given 0 dollars to our sports teams for arenas. Bruins/Celtics paid for their new arena and Kraft paid for his new stadium.

It sucks the leagues let their teams extort money out of their cities. If the Bucks left Seattle would be the spot. Seattle is the LA of the NFL for NBA teams.

NHL could support 2 more team, but the NBA is fine at 30.

NBA became watered down after it expanded in 1990's. The juggernaut teams of the 80's never happen with a deeper league. NBA does well enough in markets like Utah, Portland, Oklahoma City it doesn't need 32 teams. I wish Seattle still had a team as what Clay Bennett did was wrong and robbed that market of Durant and Westbrook.

If the NBA wasn't a superstar driven league expansion could happen, but the top players make so much of a difference that you are either a contender, stuck in mediocrity, or are tanking. I will say Golden State winning a title could give teams hope that they can draft 6th-12th and build an NBA champion if more front offices are ran by David Kahn.

Herb Kohl had to protect the Milwaukee fans in the sale right? I personally hate publicly funding for professional sports teams. These league are flush with money and the freaking owners don't want to spend their own money.

The city of Boston has given 0 dollars to our sports teams for arenas. Bruins/Celtics paid for their new arena and Kraft paid for his new stadium.

It sucks the leagues let their teams extort money out of their cities. If the Bucks left Seattle would be the spot. Seattle is the LA of the NFL for NBA teams.

He did in a way. The guys that bought the team from Kohl can't move the team. Unfortunately, a part of the contract also stated that if the new owners can't get a new arena in time for the 2017 season (meaning they need to start construction in the next two or three months), they'll be forced to sell the team to the NBA for pennies on the dollar basically. And then the NBA team will likely sell to Las Vegas or Seattle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom