NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA free agency/LeBronapalooza 2018

I can get his thinking.

He's got three rings.

He already took a pay cut once.

I'm not sure he's really worth that. It's not totally fair, but how good is he, versus how much did he fit perfectly with what the Warriors became?

Oh I would do the same thing. I'm just thinking from the organizations perspective am I really going to give a supermax to a guy who is at best the third (maybe fourth) option on that team

I also really like him.

Also, they'll almost certainly have to pick between giving the supermax to Durant versus Draymond. That's an easy decision IMO regardless of any loyalty you feel towards Draymond. He's simply going to have to accept less than the supermax IMO.

Also, they'll almost certainly have to pick between giving the supermax to Durant versus Draymond. That's an easy decision IMO regardless of any loyalty you feel towards Draymond. He's simply going to have to accept less than the supermax IMO.

Picking between Durant and Green isn't a choice that requires any level of thought.

I'm about 95% sure Durant isn't supermax eligible because he was signed as a FA.

I'm about 95% sure Durant isn't supermax eligible because he was signed as a FA.

I think you have to be playing for the team that drafted you or have been traded to another team while still on your rookie deal.

So I guess if you get traded when your on your second contract you're SOL? that sucks.

I had someone else explain this to me earlier today because I had the same thought. The supermax limitations are for players in their 8th or 9th season. Once you're past that point, my understanding is that the "must be with your original team/been traded on your rookie contract" aspect no longer applies; the team you're with just needs your bird rights at that point from what I understand.

There's been a lot of articles floating around recently about how if Durant signs a 1 year deal this offseason, he can get the supermax next year.

I had someone else explain this to me earlier today because I had the same thought. The supermax limitations are for players in their 8th or 9th season. Once you're past that point, my understanding is that the "must be with your original team/been traded on your rookie contract" aspect no longer applies; the team you're with just needs your bird rights at that point from what I understand.

There's been a lot of articles floating around recently about how if Durant signs a 1 year deal this offseason, he can get the supermax next year.

I just read the salary cap FAQ thing. Here's what I think it is

The reason the limitations are for players in their 8th or 9th years is because the benefit of the supermax is it allows you a salary that is 35% of the salary cap, which is the max you can get, which is normally only allowed for guys with 10 years in the league. (I remember when Durant as a FA originally, the idea was he'd sign a 1 plus 1 deal, because after that first year he'd have ten years in the league and could sign the max). So basically, Durant won't be eligible for the supermax, he'll just be able to sign a contract starting at 35% of the cap due to his service time. But all the supermax does is allow you to get a starting salary of 35% of the cap.

What I am not clear on is if Durant would count toward the max of 2 designated players (super max)contracts per team or not. I don't think he would, so theoretically, you could supermax Dray (were he eligible), Steph (already did) and then sign KD at the 35% starting salary.

I think. (I did some more reading, you're also right on the Durant thing now; I think he needs to delay the max for a few years so the Warriors have his full bird rights.)

The same was said about the Warriors back when they signed Durant and had to find a taker for Andrew Bogut to complete the move. If the Rockets are willing to offer enough assets attached to Anderson, someone will take him. It'll be tough to find someone willing to completely absorb that cap hit, but it's possible that they can swap Ryan for a smaller cap hit and then stretch that player, reducing the new cap hit even more.

Fair enough. They still may have to unload Tucker and Gordon. If that happens I can't see how they are as attractive of an option for Lebron. I think the most likely scenario...

Paul opts out. Bron Opts out. They sign those 2 and PG13.

I'm not sure what LeBron does moves the needle that much.

Does him leaving create a new contender? I'm not certain it does.

Does him staying mean Cleveland remains a contender? I'm not sure it does.

I think this is kind of silly. The guy just put up staggering numbers in the Finals, again. He has played in, what, 8 or 9 consecutive Finals, and you don't think what he decides to do "moves the needle much"? He is still one of the top 5 players in the game, even at his age, and look at the minutes he played throughout the playoffs! Put him on another superteam, give him some rest during the season, and he will help them bring home the title - again.

Fair enough. They still may have to unload Tucker and Gordon. If that happens I can't see how they are as attractive of an option for Lebron. I think the most likely scenario...

Paul opts out. Bron Opts out. They sign those 2 and PG13.

Who does? Houston? LA?

I think this is kind of silly. The guy just put up staggering numbers in the Finals, again. He has played in, what, 8 or 9 consecutive Finals, and you don't think what he decides to do "moves the needle much"? He is still one of the top 5 players in the game, even at his age, and look at the minutes he played throughout the playoffs! Put him on another superteam, give him some rest during the season, and he will help them bring home the title - again.

The only way I think he gets on a team that puts him over the top is if he signs with Boston or San Antonio. The rest of the teams he signs with would still be underdogs with the Warriors.

I say Houston would have to trade Gordon and Tucker to get Lebron. I think he goes to LA with George and Paul.

Unless they're taking massive paycuts, I don't think there's any way to get that to work?

TL;DR - super teams are already contenders. Lebron joining a super team doesn't make that team a contender. They already are.

Break it down:

San Antonio was already good - without Kawhi. With Kawhi, they're already contenders. Adding Lebron doesn't make them contenders, they already are.

Houston was already a contender and had the Warriors on the ropes. Adding Lebron doesn't make them a contender, they already are.

Warriors... we don't even need to talk about this.

Boston, nearly knocked Cleveland out, they're already contenders. They can add Lebron, but he doesn't make them a contender, because they already are.

Philly... I mean, everybody has already slotted them in as a contender in the East next season. Adding Lebron makes them, what? More of a contender?

So that leaves us with the Lakers. He goes to the Lakers, let's even just say Paul George joins them, and then they move their young talent to get some rusted out vets that can be "trusted," because that's how Lebron do. You really want to say that Lebron, George and whatever creaky ring chasers end up in a Lakers uniform can contend against the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs and the rest of the meatgrinding teams in the West? Or even what it's likely Boston and Philly will look like in the East?

I don't. That Lakers team doesn't scare me relative to the rest of the NBA. That means they're not a contender.

Not a contender.

Last edited:
Unless they're taking massive paycuts, I don't think there's any way to get that to work?

I think (not sure though) the Lakers could theoretically sign-and-trade for Paul George while signing LeBron and CP3. They'd have to get OKC (or someone involved in the swap) to take back Deng though.

I'm not sure if that exact scenario works, but I do think that if LeBron goes to the Lakers, it will be with two other stars. I had always assumed that would mean signing Paul George and trading Ingram/Kuzma/picks for a 3rd guy like CJ McCollum though.

I think (not sure though) the Lakers could theoretically sign-and-trade for Paul George while signing LeBron and CP3. They'd have to get OKC (or someone involved in the swap) to take back Deng though.

I'm not sure if that exact scenario works, but I do think that if LeBron goes to the Lakers, it will be with two other stars. I had always assumed that would mean signing Paul George and trading Ingram/Kuzma/picks for a 3rd guy like CJ McCollum though.
I abhor that strategy.

Build a team. An actual team.

Yeah actually you could probably swing that. Dumping the Deng deal is going to be so hard. Would 2 first rounders, if you assume the Lakers are good, really do it?

Yeah actually you could probably swing that. Dumping the Deng deal is going to be so hard. Would 2 first rounders, if you assume the Lakers are good, really do it?
The Buss that keeps on giving.

LeBron to Houston first off makes no sense.
He and Harden need to be ball dominant.
How they do it now is Paul comes out early for Gordon and then leads the second team during the regular season.
LeBron, Harden, and Paul means Harden has to give up a lot.
That isn’t happening.

If Houston traded Harden to team like Toronto which could send them back pieces they could use like Ibaka and bench depth.
Then LeBron with Paul in Houston makes sense.

Philadelphia is the same fit problem with Simmons and Fultz needing the ball.

Boston just has too much baggage.
Cleveland has a crap roster.
Spurs I can’t see how they get the players back to Cavs to make a trade. Spurs don’t have appealing assets.

It’s Lakers or i have no clue.

LeBron to Houston first off makes no sense.
He and Harden need to be ball dominant.
How they do it now is Paul comes out early for Gordon and then leads the second team during the regular season.
LeBron, Harden, and Paul means Harden has to give up a lot.
That isn’t happening.

If Houston traded Harden to team like Toronto which could send them back pieces they could use like Ibaka and bench depth.
Then LeBron with Paul in Houston makes sense.

Philadelphia is the same fit problem with Simmons and Fultz needing the ball.

Boston just has too much baggage.
Cleveland has a crap roster.
Spurs I can’t see how they get the players back to Cavs to make a trade. Spurs don’t have appealing assets.

It’s Lakers or i have no clue.
I agree with you, it's going to be the Lakers.

And they'll become a run of the mill Western conference playoff team.

6C7360A4-8912-4792-A55A-A43382712A43.jpeg

Changed my mind. Super max!

I agree with you, it's going to be the Lakers.

And they'll become a run of the mill Western conference playoff team.

I swear if we try to hotshot our way into contending, while GS is on a tear and seems to have a chokehold on the top spot in the West...SMH.

GS built themselves organically. Drafted Curry, Klay, and Green and steadily built it up. OKC did too(before they blew it). Boston too.

Keep building and let’s hit our stride in 2-3 years when the Warriors start getting old. Trying to throw a team of old FA’s together to lose to the Warriors... *Insert Michael Scott “no” rant.

I swear if we try to hotshot our way into contending, while GS is on a tear and seems to have a chokehold on the top spot in the West...SMH.

GS built themselves organically. Drafted Curry, Klay, and Green and steadily built it up. OKC did too(before they blew it). Boston too.

Keep building and let’s hit our stride in 2-3 years when the Warriors start getting old. Trying to throw a team of old FA’s together to lose to the Warriors... *Insert Michael Scott “no” rant.

Accept it now and it will be a lot less painful.

I’ve read rumors of LA wanting LBJ, PG and Capela.

I’d be tempted to take a shot with Lebron/PG/Kuzma/Capela and co.

I’ve read rumors of LA wanting LBJ, PG and Capela.

I’d be tempted to take a shot with Lebron/PG/Kuzma/Capela and co.

I like Capela.

And I want to snatch Klay in a couple years to hurt the Warriors and he’d be the ideal two guard that doesn’t need the ball in his hands unless he’s open for a jumper.

Ball, Klay, Ingram, Kuzma, Capela make a run starting in ‘21 and contend for years.

That’s my dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom