NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

NBA playoffs: greatest show on Earth

If I told my friends this, who are huge Kobe-homers, they would explode through their phones. My god... couple of these guys still have Kobe over LeBron.

Kobe is a tier below best ever/most valuable ever conversations. No way he should be considered in either of those discussions.

Steph averaged more rebounds, assists, steals, and had the same number of blocks in the conference finals as KD while shooting a higher percentage overall.

KD is a great scorer, but he doesn't affect the game in other ways a guy his size should IMO.

The only thing Kobe has over Steph at the moment is longevity. If i had to win a game tomorrow and I could get the best from either, give me Steph all day
Kobe is a tier below best ever/most valuable ever conversations. No way he should be considered in either of those discussions.

I won't even bring up this discussion with these guys... it's not worth the absolute show that would follow it.

Also, these guys love the physical 90s era and think Steph would just be bumped around like a rag doll because he's not that big.

We have a lot of great discussions as we all love bball and have some knowledge and passion, but definitely very opinionated.

I won't even bring up this discussion with these guys... it's not worth the absolute show that would follow it.

Also, these guys love the physical 90s era and think Steph would just be bumped around like a rag doll because he's not that big.

We have a lot of great discussions as we all love bball and have some knowledge and passion, but definitely very opinionated.

Can you imagine Nellie-Ball/Run-TMC with Steph?

The only thing Kobe has over Steph at the moment is longevity. If i had to win a game tomorrow and I could get the best from either, give me Steph all day

I think Kobe, in his physical prime, was a better defender than Steph and he was a great passer when he wanted to be, but he was a far more selfish player than Steph is. Steph is just a wayyy better offensive player all-around though.

Kobe falls into that same category as Carmelo where the variety of ways in which he can score is better than his actual scoring ability. Steph is a good scorer at all levels, but everything is built off of his absurd 3 point shooting; that allows him to get the looks that he does inside the arc. Kobe was never a consistent 3 point shooter, but he could hit 3's, he was a killer in the mid-range, he could post you up, he could take you off the dribble, etc.

I think Kobe, in his physical prime, was a better defender than Steph and he was a great passer when he wanted to be, but he was a far more selfish player than Steph is. Steph is just a wayyy better offensive player all-around though.

Kobe falls into that same category as Carmelo where the variety of ways in which he can score is better than his actual scoring ability. Steph is a good scorer at all levels, but everything is built off of his absurd 3 point shooting; that allows him to get the looks that he does inside the arc. Kobe was never a consistent 3 point shooter, but he could hit 3's, he was a killer in the mid-range, he could post you up, he could take you off the dribble, etc.

This is so, so true.

Kobe for sure a better defensive player as well. Steph is quite possibly the single best offensive player of all time. I kinda just said that right now, but I think I can defend it pretty well

This is so, so true.

Kobe for sure a better defensive player as well. Steph is quite possibly the single best offensive player of all time. I kinda just said that right now, but I think I can defend it pretty well

I’ve been kicking this around as well after that 3rd q in game 7. Remember the famous Jordan Portland game where he threw his hands up? Curry has those streaks every other game. It’s ridiculous

And if you think about the effect his shooting has on the other 4 guys on the court at all times.

Yep tnt broke down a play where the dude guarding curry has to come waaaay out top which left the top of the key wide open for Durant to take his man and drive an open lane to finish or dish to a wide open Klay.

If they sign Lebron they need a replacement for Redick unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut. I kind of feel like Saric isn't a great fit either with that team.
LeBron needs a wing guard who can score a la Wade or Irving + a big who can shoot from the perimeter and open the lane for him a la Bosh or Love.
Philly has Embiid who is better than either Bosh or Love who can be the big but they can’t keep Redick who would be their Korver and Covington and Simmons aren’t Wade or Irving.

Redick has the most money to lose if LeBron goes to philly.They would renounce his cap hold and then he would have to pray a time with cap space would want him but none of them are contenders.
Redick would have to take a MLE and could be like screw this if I can only make 6 million go to Golden State or Boston.

Last edited:
Kobe and Steph are completely different players.
Kobe is the closest thing we will see to MJ.
If culture wasn’t about tearing people down today instead of MJ’s day Kobe would be even closer to Jordan than he is.
Today Jordan would have a Skip Baynes polluting people’s minds and other haters. Jordan wouldn’t be the god he is because we didn’t tear down athletes we built them up in 80s and 90s.

Steph is a hybrid guard who is more valuable today because the game has become more perimeter orientated.

He is an alltime great who could play in any Era because of his shooting ability.

Kobe was a high volume offensive player like MJ who was a killer and played his a$$ everytime he was on the court. Except game 7 in 2005 at Phoenix when he passed intentionally to make a point while the Lakers were getting killed in the 2nd half.

Would there be a bigger upset in NBA history in the Finals, post-lottery era, than if the Cavs win this year?
Biggest Finals upset since 1984 has to be either Houston over Orlando in 95 or Detroit over LA Lakers in 04.

Upsets really don’t happen in the Finals and even those 2 weren’t that big. The Rockets were defending champs it was just Orlando looked better on paper.

Biggest Finals upset since 1984 has to be either Houston over Orlando in 95 or Detroit over LA Lakers in 04.

Upsets really don’t happen in the Finals and even those 2 weren’t that big. The Rockets were defending champs it was just Orlando looked better on paper.

I don't remember the consensus in 95. Detroit over LA was a pretty big one. I think this would kinda dwarf it. Cavs are like +800 to win the series

If i put the over/under for titles Steph ends his career with at 4.5, what side do you want?

I’d probably throw Dallas over Miami in there too.

Houston is a hard one to call. They were a 6 seed, but they were also the defending champions and they picked up Drexler in a trade late in the season. They would’ve been a much higher seed if they had him all year.

Orlando was loaded but that was their first time doing anything in the playoffs. They lose game 1 in a crushing way, and basically folded.

I think the Dallas > Miami title is probably up there too. I have no idea if the advanced metrics would suggest it was a huge upset, but people certainly expected Miami to make relatively quick work of the Mavs. That was possibly my favorite NBA Finals to watch/a great playoffs in general with Dirk's incredible run.

If i put the over/under for titles Steph ends his career with at 4.5, what side do you want?

This year will be #3 right? I'd take the over.

I think the Dallas > Miami title is probably up there too. I have no idea if the advanced metrics would suggest it was a huge upset, but people certainly expected Miami to make relatively quick work of the Mavs. That was possibly my favorite NBA Finals to watch/a great playoffs in general with Dirk's incredible run.

This year will be #3 right? I'd take the over.

Dallas Miami is a good one, I kinda forgot about that one. I don't know of an easy way to look up NBA finals odds historically. I was just looking at that series lately, Miami won game 1, was up 15 with like 6 min to go in game 2, and won game 3. So close to totally rolling them.

I think I go over on Steph too, but I think 4.5 is the right number. I was really thinking of the # because of the Kobe discussion; he's probably going to end up with 5 titles.

Dallas Miami is a good one, I kinda forgot about that one. I don't know of an easy way to look up NBA finals odds historically. I was just looking at that series lately, Miami won game 1, was up 15 with like 6 min to go in game 2, and won game 3. So close to totally rolling them.

I think I go over on Steph too, but I think 4.5 is the right number. I was really thinking of the # because of the Kobe discussion; he's probably going to end up with 5 titles.
Dallas > Miami was 2011.
LeBron’s first year in Miami.

Miami > Dallas was 2006 when Bennett Salvador gave Wade FTs every drive in game 3 and the Heat were down 0-2 and came back to win 4 straight.

I think Melancer is referring to 2011.

Greatest show on earth needs a different final than the same show every year.

It'd be crazy for the cavs to win this though. Should be fun to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom