NBA Playoffs or NCAA Tournament: This isn't difficult, but which do you prefer? ('Bud & Brent') | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Playoffs or NCAA Tournament: This isn't difficult, but which do you prefer? ('Bud & Brent')

Every NCAA tournament game is a game 7.

longislandcuse said:
An ugly, busted, fugly, gimmicky game 7.

You're opinion. Many would disagree.

longislandcuse said:
NBA Playoffs and its not even close. The Charlotte Bobcats have knocked off Miami on a fluke game and rode Kemba Walker to the Championship. Oh wait, no, that didn't happen because this isnt gimmicky March Madness.

It's the difference between a tournament and a championship. Both great in their own ways, but give me the championship all day long.

Winning your league means nothing anymore. The NCAA Tournament has become all that matters.

Excellent post btw.

44cuse

44cuse said:
It's the difference between a tournament and a championship. Both great in their own ways, but give me the championship all day long. Winning your league means nothing anymore. The NCAA Tournament has become all that matters. Excellent post btw. 44cuse

50% of the NBA teams make the playoffs so winning a division means little.

To win the the ncaa title, you have to win 6 games all on a neutral court, with zero margin for error. You can lose three times every series and still win an nba championship. Game 7's are exciting, but there is nothing that compares to the ncaa tournament.

I like the NBA playoffs more.

1. I love seeing rivalries develop over a 7 game series, and get renewed the following years.
2. I like that the fluke element is eliminated. Seeing your team lose to someone it would beat the majority of the time is infuriating.
3. Upsets are more satisfying, as seeing an underdog play at a higher level over the course of an entire series is fun. No luck, it takes more to earn a series victory.
4. The level of play is much higher, obviously.
5. The commentators are far less annoying and are less likely to latch onto some obnoxious storyline(I still want to punch the guys who called our OSU game for that Aaron Craft love-fest) and beat it into the ground all game for the benefit of all the dorks who like that kind of stuff. Just call the game! The game tells it's own story!
6. You don't get dorks who know nothing about sports trying to tell you about their brackets.
7. You don't get dorks who DO know something about sports whining about their brackets when someone good loses.
8. You don't get dorks who read something good on the internet about a team they never watched, bragging about "I had it!" when an upset happens.

That said, there is nothing like the thrill of a Cuse tourney run! So do I like the NCAA Tourney better when Cuse is making a run. But for just watching other teams, NBA playoffs easily. When Cuse loses early, the Tournament sucks and is a miserable experience.

To win the the ncaa title, you have to win 6 games all on a neutral court, with zero margin for error. You can lose three times every series and still win an nba championship. Game 7's are exciting, but there is nothing that compares to the ncaa tournament.
there are problems with either format. in the ncaa's, there is the excitement of a single elimination tournament and anyone can win until they lose. but sometimes you wind up with mediocre teams in the championship game. did UConn or Kentucky deserve it that much more than Arizona or Virginia? in the NBA you lose the upset atmosphere, but in the long run the best basketball prevails. some people hate watching the best team win. some people appreciate it. I am a college fan first, so I understand why people get pissed about the nba.

another thing too, tell the people in Portland that their buzzer beater to win the series against Houston wasn't as exciting as an ncaa game. LOL

another thing too, tell the people in Portland that their buzzer beater to win the series against Houston wasn't as exciting as an ncaa game. LOL

I am sure it was very exciting, but what does it mean? They have no chance of beating the spurs. It will be a spurs/heat finals. Did anyone see a uk/uconn final? Did anyone other than ourselves see us winning it in 03? That is what makes the tourney so great.

Huge NBA fan here and absolutely love watching it... But since when is the NBA playoffs better than the NCAA tournament? What? just because more basketball is being played? I love the NBA, and the quality of play is literally mind boggling... But give me the NCAA tournament over any sporting event... none of that conference bullcrap screwing with the matchups. Committee picks random groupings every year. The cinderella story can literally change your university as a whole... Not to mention it is one and done. loser gets the hell out and thats the way it should be. Great teams show up or find a way to win whenever their season is on the line.. Simple as that... LOVE MARCH MADNESS

...The NBA haters on this board don't know what they're talking about. The NBA game surpassed college hoops a few years ago and the gap is getting wider ...

To each his own. You couldn't give me tickets to an NBA game. I occasionally check in on the playoffs simply because I like basketball, but I'm usually reminded fairly soon why I don't watch it.

Cowtown said:
To each his own. You couldn't give me tickets to an NBA game. I occasionally check in on the playoffs simply because I like basketball, but I'm usually reminded fairly soon why I don't watch it.

Really. Those who like the NBA better talk like they are coming from facts vs personal preference. Nothing in sports compares to March madness IMO.

Yeah, so much better to see two college teams claw their way to 90 total points. The NBA haters on this board don't know what they're talking about. The NBA game surpassed college hoops a few years ago and the gap is getting wider. And I'm someone who would blow off my kid's wedding if it meant missing a Syracuse game.

Doesn't have anything to do with "hate" for me. I like the NBA just fine, but prefer college basketball more. To each their own.

My problem with this and the 1000000000 other threads like this on the exact same topic is that NBA advocates on this board often behave like overzealous jehova's witnesses, providing a running commentary every time something exciting happens in the NBA, as though that's going to change peoples' minds.

Reminds me of soccer fan from the '90s.

Last edited:
the first four days of the NCAA tournament (or, rather, the first weekend after the play-in games) are the best 4 days in sport . . . but overall, the NBA playoffs are vastly superior and much more enjoyable . . . the most skilled players in the world delivering great games day after day after day for two full months.

A friend of mine went to an NBA officials identification camp a few years ago. They were told right off the hop that the NBA is in the entertainment business and "anyone who doesn't understand what that means that should just go home right now." In other words, the NBA is not so much about basketball as it is about making money with a basketball.

Doesn't have anything to do with "hate" for me. I like the NBA just fine, but prefer college basketball more. To each their own.

My problem with this and the 1000000000 other threads like this on the same topic is that NBA advocates on this board behave like overzealous jehova's witnesses, providing a running commentary every time something exciting happens in the NBA, a though that's going to change peoples' minds.

This is what I have been wanting to say but you said it much better than I could have and funnier too. Agree totally.

My problem with this and the 1000000000 other threads like this on the exact same topic is that NBA advocates on this board often behave like overzealous jehova's witnesses, providing a running commentary every time something exciting happens in the NBA, as though that's going to change peoples' minds.

It seems to largely be a reaction to the "NBA sucks!! I haven't watched a game in 20 years!!" stuff.

If you don't watch it, you don't know if it sucks or not.

moqui said:
the first four days of the NCAA tournament (or, rather, the first weekend after the play-in games) are the best 4 days in sport . . . but overall, the NBA playoffs are vastly superior and much more enjoyable . . . the most skilled players in the world delivering great games day after day after day for two full months.

Agreed. I'm not going to tell anyone what he should or shouldn't enjoy. To each his own.

But the overall quality of basketball is better in the NBA (obviously) and with the elite talent in the league right now, IMO, you are seeing the best basketball in decades.

It is tough for me to wrap my head around someone saying they are a basketball fan, but not be able to enjoy the talents of LeBron or Durant, or even San Antonio as a team. But like I said, to each his own.

Agreed. I'm not going to tell anyone what he should or shouldn't enjoy. To each his own.

But the overall quality of basketball is better in the NBA (obviously) and with the elite talent in the league right now, IMO, you are seeing the best basketball in decades.

It is tough for me to wrap my head around someone saying they are a basketball fan, but not be able to enjoy the talents of LeBron or Durant, or even San Antonio as a team. But like I said, to each his own.

I don't care if someone doesn't like the NBA. But when they say things that show they have no idea what they're talking about, it's annoying.

Like...things that were valid criticisms of the NBA in 1994 or 2004 probably don't apply today but a lot of these guys have been repeating the same things for years and really have no clue if it's true or not anymore. You'd have to actually watch it enough to know.

Just say you lost interest at some point, and don't watch it anymore! But if you're going to knock the current state of the league, at least know what you're talking about. Most don't.

Chris Paul 7-7 from 3 going up against an all pro player in Westbrook. This is what it's about.

I don't care if someone doesn't like the NBA. But when they say things that show they have no idea what they're talking about, it's annoying.

Like...things that were valid criticisms of the NBA in 1994 or 2004 probably don't apply today but a lot of these guys have been repeating the same things for years and really have no clue if it's true or not anymore. You'd have to actually watch it enough to know.

Just say you lost interest at some point, and don't watch it anymore! But if you're going to knock the current state of the league, at least know what you're talking about. Most don't.

It's also annoying to have a billion daily posts mutually affirming [for some] how orgasmically gratifying the NBA is every time somebody makes a highlight play. :cool:

The funny thing is: I've never seen one post on the football board from NFL fans demanding that everyone agree that the League is a superior product to college football in terms of quality of play. It is, by the way, but who freaking cares? If people want to watch some sports and not others, or watch college versus professional [or vice versa], that's up to them.

For the record, I've never seen one poster on this forum claim that college ball is superior in terms of quality of play to the NBA. Not one. I've seen plenty of posters cite other reasons for why they prefer college basketball to the pros. They're not "wrong," by the way, even though you and others might disagree. Everyone's entitled to an opinion--not sure what there is to get annoyed about.