NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick." | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick."

I don't think he should go to the green room. There is always a kid who slides a bit and the camera is all over him when they don't get picked where they had hoped. Unless you are Guaranteed to be in the top 10 stay home. You will be sitting there for hours with a camera in your face not my idea of fun.

I don't think he should go to the green room. There is always a kid who slides a bit and the camera is all over him when they don't get picked where they had hoped. Unless you are Guaranteed to be in the top 10 stay home. You will be sitting there for hours with a camera in your face not my idea of fun.
Look, if a kid won't accept an invite to the green to because they're afraid that they might slip and be in there for a while, chances are they don't have the mental toughness to be a professional athlete to begin with.

You get invited, you go.

Look, if a kid won't accept an invite to the green to because they're afraid that they might slip and be in there for a while, chances are they don't have the mental toughness to be a professional athlete to begin with.

You get invited, you go.

No kids reject them all the time especially late invitations largely because they have already planned a private party. It makes no difference on anything and has nothing to do with mental toughness.

No kids reject them all the time especially late invitations largely because they have already planned a private party. It makes no difference on anything and has nothing to do with mental toughness.
Meh.

The green room is more for the benefit of the NBA and the media than the player.

Tough news for the haters :)

Congrats to Mal.

There are no haters. Maybe some fans are selfish. But haters is little too strong. Once most fans get over the shock of the announcement and eventually just want to see him do well. Mal has been great for us. He practically single handled won our Elite 8 game against UVA. One of the most amazing tournament games in over 10 years. It's really hard to hate Malachi after that game. I just can't imagine anyone who would be that way.

There are no haters. Maybe some fans are selfish. But haters is little too strong. Once most fans get over the shock of the announcement and eventually just want to see him do well. Mal has been great for us. He practically single handled won our Elite 8 game against UVA. One of the most amazing tournament games in over 10 years. It's really hard to hate Malachi after that game. I just can't imagine anyone who would be that way.

Nah, there are.

Like who? There seems to be a completely absurd perception that there is.
I don't believe it's an absurd notion. Don't forget, you and I don't get to see posts that are quickly deleted by the moderators.

I don't believe it's an absurd notion. Don't forget, you and I don't get to see posts that are quickly deleted by the moderators.

That might be true, but I highly doubt anyone here hates Malachi.

I like Malachi and will root for him. He just isn't a guy I'd want my team to take in the lottery. I'll be pretty surprised if he's not "just another Syracuse bust" if he goes in the lottery and that reputation annoys me.

Melancer46 said:
I like Malachi and will root for him. He just isn't a guy I'd want my team to take in the lottery. I'll be pretty surprised if he's not "just another Syracuse bust" if he goes in the lottery and that reputation annoys me.

Meh.

How many busts have there been really? Flynn?

All schools have similar track records. Most top lottery picks end up as role players - which is a damn good life.

MCW, Ennis, Grant are all on NBA teams and are not busts.

Meh.

All schools have similar track records. Most top lottery picks end up as role players - which is a damn good life.

I agree, but that's not the perception we have. And I'd say Wes is a bust despite the fact that he's lasted in the league awhile now.

I agree, but that's not the perception we have. And I'd say Wes is a bust despite the fact that he's lasted in the league awhile now.

I disagree on Wes. If you're still in the league, you're not a bust.

At least we can all agree Thabeet was a bust.

Every school has there bust as Syracuse fan we are more aware of ours.

Meh.

I wouldn't consider Flynn to be a bust; his hip injuries knocked him out of the league.

I wouldn't consider Flynn to be a bust; his hip injuries knocked him out of the league.

That's what a bust is, esp when Steph Curry goes after.

Anyway, I think the general consternation with this stuff is that when guys used to leave early, they were lock stock and barrel ready and awesome where college would seem silly to stay.

This case seems like a big wildcard, therefore...

Meh.

There are different expectations for the 3-6 players than a lotto pick in the back half between 8-14

Johnson at 3
Waiters at 4
Flynn at 6

All Failed to meet expectations, even with Johnson and Waiters developing into role players, They will be labelled individually and as a group as busts.

The positive way for Syracuse to spin these picks is that all 3 arrived to Syracuse with no expectation of being a top 6 pick, and that Syracuse helps your draft profile even allowing you to be overpicked at times.

What's not a bust? An MVP? An all-star? That's an insanely high standard. If a player isn't 1 or 2 in the draft, chances aren't great that they'll ever make an all-star team. Starting games in the NBA is pretty high standard. Steph Curry is the exception and not the rule. Role player in the NBA for 3-6 years is tough enough to do.

What's not a bust? An MVP? An all-star? That's an insanely high standard. If a player isn't 1 or 2 in the draft, chances aren't great that they'll ever make an all-star team. Starting games in the NBA is pretty high standard. Steph Curry is the exception and not the rule. Role player in the NBA for 3-6 years is tough enough to do.

Past 10 drafts, half the #1 picks were All Stars, only a couple of #2 picks, but there is a pretty solid amount of All Stars after the top two picks. I was actually shocked when I made the list of the amount of guys after the 15th pick that ended up making an All Star team.

Anthony Davis 1st pick
Kyrie Irving 1st pick
John Wall 1st pick
Blake Griffin 1st pick
Derrick Rose 1st pick
Kevin Durant 2nd pick
Lamarcus Aldridge 2nd pick

Damian Lillard 6th pick
Andre Drummand 9th pick
Draymond Green 35th pick
Klay Thompson 11th pick
Kawhi Leonard 15th pick