NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick." | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Scout: "I'm hearing Malachi will be a top 10 pick."

And you know this how?
Bismack Biyombo, Nerlens Noel, Elfrid Payton, Big Will Cauley-Stein, Rudy Gobert. All players drafted with little expectation that they would ever do much on offense. You could even put MCW on that list. And these are just guys that were looked at almost entirely for defense. The list is even longer if you pick out guys that the NBA expected were mostly only going to impact the game on offense.

bpo57 said:
I'm sure they think that way about every guy they draft in the first round. Yet it very often doesn't work out that way.

Yeah. Teams should probably abstain on account of the uncertainty.

Bismack Biyombo, Nerlens Noel, Elfrid Payton, Big Will Cauley-Stein, Rudy Gobert. All players drafted with little expectation that they would ever do much on offense. You could even put MCW on that list. And these are just guys that were looked at almost entirely for defense. The list is even longer if you pick out guys that the NBA expected were mostly only going to impact the game on offense.
R.E.M. LYRICS - It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Now do it with your post. It works. (First sentence down to Gobert)

Last edited:
My general observations -- there are always exceptions and coaches that operate differently.

In the realm of mid-late first rounders and second rounders, I absolutely agree that you need to play steady D to get on the floor (Defence > Offence). You are not going to be one of the high usage guys on the floor, so they are expecting you do the role on the defensive end. If you are good or at least average on the defensive end you will get burn before the opposite type..

Now if you are a high offensive upside lotto pick, that may get you some time with poor D. But you still see some NBA coaches be really tough with regards to minutes on some lotto players who can't play D.

My general observations -- there are always exceptions and coaches that operate differently.

In the realm of mid-late first rounders and second rounders, I absolutely agree that you need to play steady D to get on the floor (Defence > Offence). You are not going to be one of the high usage guys on the floor, so they are expecting you do the role on the defensive end. If you are good or at least average on the defensive end you will get burn before the opposite type..

Now if you are a high offensive upside lotto pick, that may get you some time with poor D. But you still see some NBA coaches be really tough with regards to minutes on some lotto players who can't play D.

Agreed. But also size matters. For example Kryie Irving gets more of a pass on his defense because of his size than Karl Anthony-Town even though they are both #1 picks.

I browsed the Jazz forum and another team (I forgot which) and both set of fans do not want Richardson.

Reddit also did a "mock" based on the the input of the fans of each team. Richardson was not in the top 25.

I browsed the Jazz forum and another team (I forgot which) and both set of fans do not want Richardson.

Reddit also did a "mock" based on the the input of the fans of each team. Richardson was not in the top 25.
Knicks fans probably didn't want an unknown euro dude.

Jazz fans look at Rodney Hood and Alec Burks and probably don't want another 2 guard.

Knicks fans probably didn't want an unknown euro dude.
Well, the Knicks track record with Euro dudes wasn't exactly stellar before Porzingas.

Not sure that they don't like MR. A lot of the Jazz fans think they can get someone more highly rated at number 12. And if they take a 2 guard, it will most likely be one of the foreign dudes (France or Turkey).

NBA Draft Rumors: Orlando Magic meet with two prospects

As a Magic fan, would love this and think it's another great fit. Fournier is a FA and their best three point shooter. Not sure what he's going to do, but is a SG/SF, then you have Oladipo. Malachi would get plenty of minutes off the bench, and learn from a very good coach in Vogel. Glad he worked out for them. Number 11 would be great for him, and a good young team to grow with.

Amazing what a final 4 run can do. He wasnt on any NBA radars all season, goes off vs VA and now hes potential a lottery

Amazing what a final 4 run can do. He wasnt on any NBA radars all season, goes off vs VA and now hes potential a lottery
You don't get to where he is because of one game -- he still had to show well at the Combine and in workouts. And he had already tipped his hand with some outstanding play during the season.

You don't get to where he is because of one game -- he still had to show well at the Combine and in workouts. And he had already tipped his hand with some outstanding play during the season.

Malachi has done a terrific job selling himself. It's pretty amazing what he's done post season. I really hope he get's drafted really high in the first round.

Sounds great for Mali. I did not see him this high in the first round (16th per Draft Express), but the passing on certain workouts makes it seem like something has been worked out. Great for Mali, and another hit on my already bad fake scouting skills.

I agree, he had a great freshman season, but if he didnt go bananas against VA I dunno if he would have had the hype behind him. I do hope he does well in the draft and the league.

I'm sure they think that way about every guy they draft in the first round. Yet it very often doesn't work out that way.

Alright. A do-over.

I thought what you wrote was off because I think the sure bets are at the top 3 or so. Every other team drafts according to their board. I've said repeatedly that I think the calculation is skewed towards players who are offensively skilled/focused as opposed to guys who are defensive first guys.

Like this:

Player A, 150
O: 70
D: 25
Size/atheticism: 50
Intangibles: 5

Player B, 150
O: 25
D: 70
Size/atheticism: 50
Intangibles: 5

Let me be clear, you're taking a chance drafting either guy because they aren't:

Player C, 230
O: 75
D: 75
Size/atheticism: 70
Intangibles: 10

But I think teams will pick Player A over Player B in the top half of the draft most of the time.

(Of course teams talk themselves into their picks based on projection of certain attributes or skills. And of course they don't know how that player will develop. But you can't not make a pick. If it were easy no one would miss.)

EDIT: I also believe that defense is important and ever team needs a guy like Player B. But they tend to be late lottery picks.