NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 145 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Another thought on historical player comps...

Not only is the game different with all the 3's now. But teams now concentrate more of their offense in their best player than basically ever before.

To pick a random year, 1988, since I was talking about the 88 Lakers before. Here is the top 5 in usage

1) Nique-35.2%
2) Jordan- 34.1%
3) Aguirre- 31.06
4) Bird- 30.2%
5) Malone-29.7

Top 5 this year
1) Giannis- 37.5%
2) Luka- 36.8%
3) Harden- 36.3%
4) Young- 34.9%
5) Russ- 34.4%

There were 15 players this year with a usage rate over 30% this season. In the entire 1980s, there were 30 total. (So basically 2 per season).

That isn't to say guys back then couldn't carry the level of offense guys do now, I'm sure the elite guys could. It just makes the comparisons even harder.

I also think its another reason offense is up now. More shots for the better players=more points

The only way to reduce scoring would be to have less possessions per game.
Offensive rebounds only put the shot clock back to 14 instead of 24.
NBA has increased possessions per game.

Those mid 2000 seasons the game was played at snails pace. NBA has got the game playing like the 1980s but teams are smart now and don’t get stuck playing primarily inside the paint.
Someone said it last week, I've been saying it for a while now, don't bend the 3 point line down into the corner. Get rid of the corner three. It's too easy for these guys. That will be a small decrease in scoring.

Boston-Toronto series is starting this Thursday at 6pm regardless if they are any first round series left.
That is rare but I bet the NBA wants to keep
tv partners happy and not make teams wait too long.

Yeah and I think I read they will move up the schedule whenever possible in the future. It makes sense, you want to get this over as soon as you can. Get people out of the bubble.

Someone said it last week, I've been saying it for a while now, don't bend the 3 point line down into the corner. Get rid of the corner three. It's too easy for these guys. That will be a small decrease in scoring.
That's an interesting idea.

Not only is the game different with all the 3's now. But teams now concentrate more of their offense in their best player than basically ever before.

To pick a random year, 1988, since I was talking about the 88 Lakers before. Here is the top 5 in usage

1) Nique-35.2%
2) Jordan- 34.1%
3) Aguirre- 31.06
4) Bird- 30.2%
5) Malone-29.7

Top 5 this year
1) Giannis- 37.5%
2) Luka- 36.8%
3) Harden- 36.3%
4) Young- 34.9%
5) Russ- 34.4%

There were 15 players this year with a usage rate over 30% this season. In the entire 1980s, there were 30 total. (So basically 2 per season).

That isn't to say guys back then couldn't carry the level of offense guys do now, I'm sure the elite guys could. It just makes the comparisons even harder.

I also think its another reason offense is up now. More shots for the better players=more points
Anybody else find it funny that Harden and Westbrook are on the same team, and both still top 5 usage?

1) Nique-35.2%
2) Jordan- 34.1%
3) Aguirre- 31.06
4) Bird- 30.2%
5) Malone-29.7

Top 5 this year
1) Giannis- 37.5%
2) Luka- 36.8%
3) Harden- 36.3%
4) Young- 34.9%
5) Russ- 34.4%

I think you can make the argument that teams now have the data to prove that you *should* feature your best player more than previously.

Same reason there are so many shots at the rim and 3s. We have clear data now saying that's what you should do.

Anybody else find it funny that Harden and Westbrook are on the same team, and both still top 5 usage?

I was gonna comment on that, and then I just didnt. i find it hilarious. The other guys on the court all just screen or stand in the corner for 3's.

When Russ is on the court and Harden sits, Russ has a usage rate of 39.6%, and when Harden plays and Russ doesn't, Harden is at 42.

I was gonna comment on that, and then I just didnt. i find it hilarious. The other guys on the court all just screen or stand in the corner for 3's.

When Russ is on the court and Harden sits, Russ has a usage rate of 39.6%, and when Harden plays and Russ doesn't, Harden is at 42.
Basically they adjusted their games to play together by... not adjusting their games at all.

Everybody else adjusted.

Nice coaching, Mike.

Basically they adjusted their games to play together by... not adjusting their games at all.

Everybody else adjusted.

Nice coaching, Mike.

To be fair, that's literally Morey and MDA's teambuilding philosophy lol (and to their credit, it's worked very well considering how poor the rest of their roster is).

jncuse are the Raptors good without Kyle Lowry?
His status for game 1 has to be in some question now that it is only 3 days away.
No Heyward and No Lowry would basically cancel out 10-14 ppg per team that has to come elsewhere.

To be fair, that's literally Morey and MDA's teambuilding philosophy lol (and to their credit, it's worked very well considering how poor the rest of their roster is).
I take zero joy in watching the Rockets play.

I'll watch terrible teams over them.

FWIW.

Lakers really want OKC over Houston second round.
The Rockets style would give the Lakers more problems.

Why did they wait almost 7 seconds to foul? Probably wouldn’t have mattered, but still weird.

Why did they wait almost 7 seconds to foul? Probably wouldn’t have mattered, but still weird.
Luka said he thinks it's easier to score in the nba because there is defensive 3 seconds. In europe they don't have that. He's incredible at taking his guy to the rim and using his body as a shield and there's basically nobody there to contest his shot and if they do, he finds someone open basically every single time.

I loathe Chris Webber. Mute TNT, turn on reggae.

luca-dies-ii.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom