NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 187 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Kinda interesting: there's been some articles/graphics going around the last couple days about how bad the defensive 3 seconds rule is. Essentially, refs are only willing to call it in the first half of games because they don't want to be seen as making a call that fans hate in a crucial moment.

One of the graphics is this one. This is an analysis of made/missed calls in the last two minute reports for every game. So for example, they get shot clock violations correct 97.2% of the time (sad that this isn't 100% but I digress). They get defensive 3 second calls correct 1.12% of the time. One. Percent.
View attachment 187560

We knew they never called traveling, but come on with the three seconds and 5 second inbounds calls.

If Giannis leaves Milwaukee I think Dallas is where everyone will push him to go.
But if he leaves Milwaukee then Miami has to be the spot.

Milwaukee is going to offer Bledsoe, Indiana first round pick from Brogdon and another first pick for Chris Paul.

If the Bucks wanted to go all in to keep Giannis they offer the Wizards the Paul George trade and do Bledsoe
and Ilyasova 2021, 2023, 2025, unprotected 1st round picks and pick swaps for 2022, 2024 for Bradley Beal.

Would the Bucks do their own Paul George type trade?

Kinda interesting: there's been some articles/graphics going around the last couple days about how bad the defensive 3 seconds rule is. Essentially, refs are only willing to call it in the first half of games because they don't want to be seen as making a call that fans hate in a crucial moment.

One of the graphics is this one. This is an analysis of made/missed calls in the last two minute reports for every game. So for example, they get shot clock violations correct 97.2% of the time (sad that this isn't 100% but I digress). They get defensive 3 second calls correct 1.12% of the time. One. Percent.
View attachment 187560
Crazy, but also curious how they got all of this data.

Milwaukee is going to offer Bledsoe, Indiana first round pick from Brogdon and another first pick for Chris Paul.

If the Bucks wanted to go all in to keep Giannis they offer the Wizards the Paul George trade and do Bledsoe
and Ilyasova 2021, 2023, 2025, unprotected 1st round picks and pick swaps for 2022, 2024 for Bradley Beal.

Would the Bucks do their own Paul George type trade?
Is Milwaukee way under the cap? Bledsoe's salary is like $12M a year less than Paul's. They would have to send more salary out.

Is Milwaukee way under the cap? Bledsoe's salary is like $12M a year less than Paul's. They would have to send more salary out.
Bledsoe, Hill, Ilyasova would makes the cap work.

No we are way over.

I do expect Milwaukee to pursue Chris Paul. I would imagine a third team like the Knicks would need to be involved. OKC is most likely trying to get cap savings or young talent and Milwaukee can't really offer either of those things (or at least very minimal in terms of young talent).

I would guess if it happens, it's something like Bledsoe, Hill, and Ilyasova to the Knicks, Robin Lopez and DJ Wilson to the Thunder (expiring contracts and some semblance of young talent), and then Milwaukee and OKC provide some sort of incentive probably in the form of draft picks to get them to take those contracts into cap space.

The Knicks are one of the very few examples that would theoretically work with but of course that changes if they end up deciding to make a serious run at expensive free agents this offseason.

If it's only a two-team trade with Milwaukee and OKC it gets a lot more difficult because I think Milwaukee will be very hesitant to offer too many future draft picks when they aren't sure of Giannis' plans yet. Not to mention they'd theoretically be trading like a 2024 first round pick for a guy that will at best be gone years before that pick conveys.

I don't know; we'll see what happens there. Based on Billy Donovan leaving, it seems like OKC plans to blow things up a bit and I think they'd probably like to do CP3 a solid if the value is okay. Not many teams can offer CP3 a chance to contend while also theoretically making sense as a trade partner. It's pretty much Milwaukee and the Lakers IMO.

I know some Bucks fans are also hopeful that Utah might be interested in Bledsoe because their VP said anyone with defensive integrity that is an active and athletic defender is someone Utah will be interested in this offseason...Bledsoe certainly fits that criteria. Things might become a lot easier financially if it's built around CP3 to Milwaukee, Conley's expiring deal to OKC, and Bledsoe to Utah.

Edit: The one that works financially speaking is:

Utah gets: Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, Ersan Ilyasova
OKC gets: Mike Conley, DJ Wilson
MKE gets: Chris Paul

Last edited:
No we are way over.

I do expect Milwaukee to pursue Chris Paul. I would imagine a third team like the Knicks would need to be involved. OKC is most likely trying to get cap savings or young talent and Milwaukee can't really offer either of those things (or at least very minimal in terms of young talent).

I would guess if it happens, it's something like Bledsoe, Hill, and Ilyasova to the Knicks, Robin Lopez and DJ Wilson to the Thunder (expiring contracts and some semblance of young talent), and then Milwaukee and OKC provide some sort of incentive probably in the form of draft picks to get them to take those contracts into cap space.

The Knicks are one of the very few examples that would theoretically work with but of course that changes if they end up deciding to make a serious run at expensive free agents this offseason.

If it's only a two-team trade with Milwaukee and OKC it gets a lot more difficult because I think Milwaukee will be very hesitant to offer too many future draft picks when they aren't sure of Giannis' plans yet. Not to mention they'd theoretically be trading like a 2024 first round pick for a guy that will at best be gone years before that pick conveys.

I don't know; we'll see what happens there. Based on Billy Donovan leaving, it seems like OKC plans to blow things up a bit and I think they'd probably like to do CP3 a solid if the value is okay. Not many teams can offer CP3 a chance to contend while also theoretically making sense as a trade partner. It's pretty much Milwaukee and the Lakers IMO.

I know some Bucks fans are also hopeful that Utah might be interested in Bledsoe because their VP said anyone with defensive integrity that is an active and athletic defender is someone Utah will be interested in this offseason...Bledsoe certainly fits that criteria. Things might become a lot easier financially if it's built around CP3 to Milwaukee, Conley's expiring deal to OKC, and Bledsoe to Utah.

Edit: The one that works financially speaking is:

Utah gets: Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, Ersan Ilyasova
OKC gets: Mike Conley, DJ Wilson
MKE gets: Chris Paul
If I'm the Jazz, I'd do that trade easy.

OKC is so weird to me. I think they're a pretty good team, but I don't think they do! It's so weird. With Paul you've got a legit all-star. SGA and Adams are plus players. They've got really good young talent that you'd have to think is going to get better. I don't get why they don't want to compete. It's weird.

View attachment 187560

I assume thus us from the same article, maybe not, but the number I saw was one defensive three second called out of 141 that were identified!

If I'm the Jazz, I'd do that trade easy.

OKC is so weird to me. I think they're a pretty good team, but I don't think they do! It's so weird. With Paul you've got a legit all-star. SGA and Adams are plus players. They've got really good young talent that you'd have to think is going to get better. I don't get why they don't want to compete. It's weird.

I think the timeline is just a little off for them; Gallo is a FA, they have Adams for one more year. Paul for 2 more at big money, and at his age, you never know when the drop-off is going to come. Meanwhile SGA looks real good, but he's young enough to where he still has lots of time left, and they have all these picks they can use in the next few years to either land a star via trade or the draft. I can kinda see where they are coming from.

Kevin O'Connor saying the Bucks are viewed by league sources as the clear favorite to keep Giannis past 2021 (yay!). Also says if we strike out on Chris Paul (sources view Philly and the Knicks as the other potential threats for him), our likely next targets would be Dennis Schroder, Derrick Rose, and Patty Mills, so...I really hope we get CP3.

Honestly though Rose was an option I've been throwing around a lot as someone I'd love to have off our bench. We really need players that can just dribble a basketball and be capable of creating shots either for yourself or your teammates. Rose definitely fits that bill. Mills seems like pretty much just a spot up shooter right? He hasn't gotten any more creative with the ball in his hand in recent years? Schroder...meh, I'd take him but feels like his value is probably overrated to me.

Paul played well this year but he is an injury waiting to happen. Not sure how an old PG makes Freak think he wants to sign long term.

I think the timeline is just a little off for them; Gallo is a FA, they have Adams for one more year. Paul for 2 more at big money, and at his age, you never know when the drop-off is going to come. Meanwhile SGA looks real good, but he's young enough to where he still has lots of time left, and they have all these picks they can use in the next few years to either land a star via trade or the draft. I can kinda see where they are coming from.
But, why can't all those things work in your favor while you still win games? The draft picks aren't going anywhere unless they want them to. They probably have too much talent to bottom out. There's this weird thinking that you have to be awful before you can get better - between SGA/Bazely/Dort that's solid youth, plus when Adams and Schroeder come off the books they'd only be 28 and 27 - that's their prime!

I just don't understand NBA management sometimes. It's like teams are itching to get worse when they can put a team out there. It makes no sense. Especially when there are other franchises that seem completely incapable of ever competing.

Kevin O'Connor saying the Bucks are viewed by league sources as the clear favorite to keep Giannis past 2021 (yay!). Also says if we strike out on Chris Paul (sources view Philly and the Knicks as the other potential threats for him), our likely next targets would be Dennis Schroder, Derrick Rose, and Patty Mills, so...I really hope we get CP3.

Honestly though Rose was an option I've been throwing around a lot as someone I'd love to have off our bench. We really need players that can just dribble a basketball and be capable of creating shots either for yourself or your teammates. Rose definitely fits that bill. Mills seems like pretty much just a spot up shooter right? He hasn't gotten any more creative with the ball in his hand in recent years? Schroder...meh, I'd take him but feels like his value is probably overrated to me.
Really? I think Schroeder's easily the best guy from that trio. I don't even think it's close.

Paul played well this year but he is an injury waiting to happen. Not sure how an old PG makes Freak think he wants to sign long term.

In all likelihood he won't sign with anyone long-term, but CP3 does three things for Milwaukee:

1. Gives Milwaukee probably the best trio in the league
2. Just makes Giannis' life a helluva lot easier on the court.
3. Gives the Bucks some financial flexibility since his deal is only two more years

Really? I think Schroeder's easily the best guy from that trio. I don't even think it's close.

He was legitimately good this season, but this was the first year he's ever been more than an inefficient chucker that can't defend. Up until this season, he was a worse 3 point shooter than Eric Bledsoe while also sacrificing basically all the good things Eric does.

I'd still happily take him if the trade is essentially the same, but for example, I think we could probably get Rose for essentially nothing of consequence whereas Schroder might be like Bledsoe, DiVincenzo, and a 1st round pick or something which would be ridiculous IMO.

But maybe we'd get lucky and this past year's version of Schroder is the new him, in which case I'd be fine with it. I'm just not confident that's the case.

He was legitimately good this season, but this was the first year he's ever been more than an inefficient chucker that can't defend. Up until this season, he was a worse 3 point shooter than Eric Bledsoe while also sacrificing basically all the good things Eric does.

I'd still happily take him if the trade is essentially the same, but for example, I think we could probably get Rose for essentially nothing of consequence whereas Schroder might be like Bledsoe, DiVincenzo, and a 1st round pick or something which would be ridiculous IMO.

But maybe we'd get lucky and this past year's version of Schroder is the new him, in which case I'd be fine with it. I'm just not confident that's the case.
It might be the new him. He's a vet. Very possible his game has matured.

Sure - he must have bladed himself.
It was incidental contact, but you'd never know that from the way he overacted on the contact. He does it to himself. He acted like he was hit with a samurai sword right through his throat.

It was incidental contact, but you'd never know that from the way he overacted on the contact. He does it to himself. He acted like he was hit with a samurai sword right through his throat.
Lowry flops like Marcus Smart.
The refs now punish Smart when he flops and don’t give him close calls.

The same thing happened to Lowry there. He complains about everything that loses the benefit of those calls.

Lowry is very annoying with how obvious he is acting on everything and smiles when he fools the refs.

It’s like Smart.

Without a doubt there is no player in watching the NBA this year or even the last 5 years, that pushes off or hooks more then Jayson Tatum. That gets his mid game going.

So sad to see the NBA trying to create a star like this.

And before a certain Celts fan calls me out like he did in the first game about being a homer, you have been whining about refs the entire series since them.

Lowry flops like Marcus Smart.
The refs now punish Smart when he flops and don’t give him close calls.

The same thing happened to Lowry there. He complains about everything that loses the benefit of those calls.

Lowry is very annoying with how obvious he is acting on everything and smiles when he fools the refs.

It’s like Smart.
Lowry should have just been called for the hold on Theis as well. He protected his QB and got the call.

Without a doubt there is no player in watching the NBA this year or even the last 5 years, that pushes off or hooks more then Jayson Tatum. That gets his mid game going.

So sad to see the NBA trying to create a star like this.

And before a certain Celts fan calls me out like he did in the first game about being a homer, you have been whining about refs the entire series since them.
His skinny arms make it so obvious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom