NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Quite the imbalance in standings so far.

I was just looking at the standings today, and there are 11 teams that are playing over .667 (winning at least 2 of 3 games).
1) So you have 11 teams on pace for 55 wins or more.
2) You have 13 teams that are on pace to finish .400 or below (33 wins or less).
3) And you have just 6 teams that are on pace to finish in between 34-54 wins.

That's severe even by NBA standards.

Small sample size so it may normalize a bit.

Which is weird, cause it's like...why are you changing your motion?? He was shooting them pretty well!

Im guessing it has something to do with overhauling his jumper?

I'm not really sure either. Possible he got a little freaked out after the disaster in the playoffs. Or possible that he's simply always trying to get better and may have just made the wrong adjustment this time. But it's terrible. Down to 59% after his last game (think he went 3/9).

I'm not sure where it is on the biggest what-ifs, but every game Luka plays is making his selection at #3 (via trade) look insane.

I honestly don't know if Cuban would trade him for anyone in the league right now.

Dallas is blowing the rest of the league out of the water in offensive efficiency. 4ppg better per than the Wizards and over 6ppg better than the Rockets and Bucks.

If they could just improve their defense a bit and make it average they could be real threat come playoff time.

Dallas is blowing the rest of the league out of the water in offensive efficiency. 4ppg better per than the Wizards and over 6ppg better than the Rockets and Bucks.

If they could just improve their defense a bit and make it average they could be real threat come playoff time.
Clips/Mavs tomorrow is gonna be fun.

Clips/Mavs tomorrow is gonna be fun.
clipper's bench is insanely good. montrezl harrel is the only guy in the league with a chance at beating out teammate lou williams for 6th man award

clipper's bench is insanely good. montrezl harrel is the only guy in the league with a chance at beating out teammate lou williams for 6th man award
Yep. I remember a lot of people questioning the depth of this team before the season. I tried to warn them...

A lot of people also think Harrell is gone after this year. I wouldn’t count on that either.

Neither of them should even be eligible for the award IMO
And why is that? They both come off the bench. There’s no rule regarding minutes played.

And why is that? They both come off the bench. There’s no rule regarding minutes played.

There should be. They're literally #2 and #3 on the team in minutes per game. It's a joke that Lou is playing as many minutes as Giannis and is eligible for an award given to the best bench player.

There should be. They're literally #2 and #3 on the team in minutes per game. It's a joke that Lou is playing as many minutes as Giannis and is eligible for an award given to the best bench player.

Tough rule to put in place. Best 6th man that only plays 24 minutes per game?

Part of that has to do with the limited number of minutes George is playing right now as he gets healthy.

Regardless, they’re better coming off the bench and the award is for bench players. I do understand where you’re coming from, though.

player who plays 6th most minutes per game?
I would guess that the majority of award winners this decade were among the top five in minutes played on their respective teams.

I would guess that the majority of award winners this decade were among the top five in minutes played on their respective teams.

Yep and it's been that way forever. It's typically one of the best players on a good to great team where the coach brings them off the bench to stagger lineups and keep someone who is good with the rest of the bench. Multiple HOF'ers and All Stars have won the award. Here is the list.

Tough rule to put in place. Best 6th man that only plays 24 minutes per game?
That would disqualify every winner since 2002 and all but three winners since they started giving out the award. (I know you’re just spitballing.)

Figured I'd give that claim a look:

2009-10: Jamal Crawford - 4th on Hawks in MPG
2010-11: Lamar Odom - 3rd on Lakers in MPG
2011-12: James Harden - 3rd on Thunder in MPG
2012-13: JR Smith - 4th on Knicks in MPG
2013-14: Jamal Crawford - 4th on Clippers in MPG
2014-15: Lou Williams - 7th on Raptors in MPG
2015-16: Jamal Crawford - 5th on Clippers in MPG
2016-17: Eric Gordon - 3rd on Rockets in MPG
2017-18: Lou Williams - 4th on Clippers in MPG
2018-19: Lou Williams - 6th on Clippers in MPG

So eight of the past ten winners have been in the top 5 of MPG on their respective teams (and 7 of 10 in the top four MPG).

Last edited:
Yep and it's been that way forever. It's typically one of the best players on a good to great team where the coach brings them off the bench to stagger lineups and keep someone who is good with the rest of the bench. Multiple HOF'ers and All Stars have won the award. Here is the list.

Yeah, and that’s why they come off the bench. The team doesn’t miss a beat offensively when they come in. And you can’t split them up because they play so well together.

Figured I'd give that claim a look:

2009-19: Jamal Crawford - 4th on Hawks in MPG
2010-11: Lamar Odom - 3rd on Lakers in MPG
2011-12: James Harden - 3rd on Thunder in MPG
2012-13: JR Smith - 4th on Knicks in MPG
2013-14: Jamal Crawford - 4th on Clippers in MPG
2014-15: Lou Williams - 7th on Raptors in MPG
2015-16: Jamal Crawford - 5th on Clippers in MPG
2016-17: Eric Gordon - 3rd on Rockets in MPG
2017-18: Lou Williams - 4th on Clippers in MPG
2018-19: Lou Williams - 6th on Clippers in MPG

So eight of the past ten winners have been in the top 5 of MPG on their respective teams (and 7 of 10 in the top four MPG).
Thanks for doing the work.

That would disqualify every winner since 2002 and all but three winners since they started giving out the award. (I know you’re just spitballing.)

Yeah I don't agree with putting a minutes restriction on it at all. 6th man is 6th man, usually they provide a spark in some fashion coming off the bench.

Yep, I get that that's how it's been done in the past too. I just think the award isn't really what it's supposed to be. A guy that comes into the game after the first possession and then is a starter isn't really a 6th man IMO.

Last edited:
Obviously this season is only like 20% over, but this is pretty amazing...

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 4.44.12 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom