NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Melo with a patented “I GOT IT, F&CK OUTTA HERE!!!” while grabbing a rebound that was easily caught by the TNT mics. Always hilarious.

He’s playing well. 15 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists so far.
I can't remember who the player was or which team, late 90s Big East guy, but he cracked me up. Big man, every time he got the ball in the paint and made a move, I mean EVERY time, the dude let out a "OH $#!+" so loud the cameras caught it every time. I mean, this happened constantly. My dad and I were rolling. Shot off clean, fouled, kicked it out, didn't matter. That's how he reacted every time. It was amazing.

I can't remember who the player was or which team, late 90s Big East guy, but he cracked me up. Big man, every time he got the ball in the paint and made a move, I mean EVERY time, the dude let out a "OH $#!+" so loud the cameras caught it every time. I mean, this happened constantly. My dad and I were rolling. Shot off clean, fouled, kicked it out, didn't matter. That's how he reacted every time. It was amazing.

Ha! Wish I caught that or if I did, wish I had some memory of it.

Brings to mind...I remember the mics catching the stoic and seemingly silent Jeremy McNeil yelling “Gimme that $#it!!!” while blocking a shot. Loved it.

Last edited:
Been watching Melo get iced out by his coach by sitting for the last 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter and first 6 minutes of the 4th going back to his latter Knick years.

You can’t sit those old legs for like a half hour of real time. Come on.

Hollinger's idea was you would get 2 shots if it happened in the first 46 minutes, and then in the final 2 you would get 3 shots.

I forget who pointed this out, but once I read it, it kind of blew my mind, and it makes me lean toward agreeing with Hollingers idea. The single most efficient offensive play in basketball is to get fouled on a 3 pointer. A wide open dunk that you have 100% chance of making is worth 2 points, whereas 3 foul shots for anyone shooting over 66.7% from the line is worth more than that. Which just kind of creates a weird incentive

so why then change the rule in the last two minutes? why in every sport is the last two minutes to be officiated entirely different? It seems myopic to me that someone as "woke" as Hollinger would fall for this and not just have the rule be the rule throughout.

Been watching Melo get iced out by his coach by sitting for the last 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter and first 6 minutes of the 4th going back to his latter Knick years.

You can’t sit those old legs for like a half hour of real time. Come on.

You know im not the biggest NBA mellow fan, but I have to say, I think he looks really good mobility and legs wise considering he basically walked in off the street not having played in a year and with zero pre-season, not not even having really practiced with his new team.

so why then change the rule in the last two minutes? why in every sport is the last two minutes to be officiated entirely different? It seems myopic to me that someone as "woke" as Hollinger would fall for this and not just have the rule be the rule throughout.

His idea was basically if a team is up 3 late then they can foul and don't have to worry about fouling someone in the act and giving them a chance to tie the game.

Another signpost that, sigh, time is moving at maximum mach speed: Dwayne Wade's son Zaire assisting on a LeBron James Jr. basket. Wasn't LeBron Sr. just in high school? Hell, wasn't I just in high school.

Last edited:
Let's hope Kemba is OK - scary injury.
The local Boston broadcast says he got a stinger and couldn’t move right away. He has all his feel back in his body and is being treated for a concussion.
However it doesn’t look a like long term injury. He may miss a little team Recovering from a concussion but not hopefully not that long.

Harden made Beverley look like a fool - moreso than usual - down the stretch tonight

Harden has actually been quite efficient since his woeful start, tonight included. What is actually going to be the death of this team is Westbrook. he's basically a crappier harden. shoots worse from the floor, low 20's from three (yet still takes a ton) and barely over 70 percent from the line.

they'd be better off if he just went away.

Harden has actually been quite efficient since his woeful start, tonight included. What is actually going to be the death of this team is Westbrook. he's basically a crappier harden. shoots worse from the floor, low 20's from three (yet still takes a ton) and barely over 70 percent from the line.

I find the FT thing with Russ fascinating. For the first 9 years of his career, he was great, 82%. Then he dropped down to 73.7%, then last year 65.6%, and now 68.9%. How does that happen?

they were better with Chris Paul.

I find the FT thing with Russ fascinating. For the first 9 years of his career, he was great, 82%. Then he dropped down to 73.7%, then last year 65.6%, and now 68.9%. How does that happen?

same thing is kinda going on with Giannis. Was a 75ish percent shooter but uncharacteristically struggled in the playoffs, and now he literally airballs 1 or 2 free throws every single game.

same thing is kinda going on with Giannis. Was a 75ish percent shooter but uncharacteristically struggled in the playoffs, and now he literally airballs 1 or 2 free throws every single game.

I have done/read zero research on this, but it seems to me that FT% should be one of the more static stats around, since the circumstances are basically the same every time. At the very least, you shouldn't expect someone who has exhibited a certain level for so long to suddenly get a lot worse. Better, I could see if you work at it. But how do you get so much worse?

I have done/read zero research on this, but it seems to me that FT% should be one of the more static stats around, since the circumstances are basically the same every time. At the very least, you shouldn't expect someone who has exhibited a certain level for so long to suddenly get a lot worse. Better, I could see if you work at it. But how do you get so much worse?

The yips?

With Giannis, he’s changed his shooting form and it’s just a lot worse. His new form completely takes his legs out of the shot and also arches his back away from the hoop so it’s taking away from his arms too. He’s basically making it as difficult on himself as possible.

Idk about Westbrook

With Giannis, he’s changed his shooting form and it’s just a lot worse. His new form completely takes his legs out of the shot and also arches his back away from the hoop so it’s taking away from his arms too. He’s basically making it as difficult on himself as possible.

Idk about Westbrook

Which is weird, cause it's like...why are you changing your motion?? He was shooting them pretty well!

Im guessing it has something to do with overhauling his jumper?

I think the FT shooting may be one of the most consistent stats from year to year... but the outliers, since it becomes a mental thing and not an athletic thing, can be highly volatile.

Maybe it is similar to a pro-golfer getting the short putt yips or the chipping yips. Its not really a physical thing.

Which is weird, cause it's like...why are you changing your motion?? He was shooting them pretty well!

Im guessing it has something to do with overhauling his jumper?

I agree that sometimes change is not necessary.

I guess I am the golf example guy. But I find many pro's that regress, are in the process of change things to try to get better. And what happens is the change puts you in a worst place. My two favourite gofers are prime exampes (Tiger Woods and MIke Weir). If you think of Tiger in the past 2 years, he finally got rid of a swing coach, and escaped the technical trap he was in -- just started to think less technically. He doesn't talk the "my Glutes were not firing" crap like he did a few years back. Mike Weir went to the stack and tilt, and then when he changed back found his swing was way different than before. People blamed injuries for both, and they were certainly a big part, but always trying to change what you do is not always the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom