NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 222 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Just saw the Giannis injury; really unfortunate. My quick take: capsule damage, bone bruise (tibia impacting femur) appear to be the baseline here. Looked like 30 degrees hyperextension which is... a lot. I think I see some valgus here (joint bent inward) as well. Very likely that ACL and/or PCL were stressed; if I had to guess the ACL took the worst of it due to the nature of the injury but could just as easily be the PCL. Valgus movement is less severe, but strains to MCL and/or LCL also possible.

Would be shocked if he returns at any point in this playoff run. ACL/PCL readout will determine impact on next season, with multiple ligament involvement possible.

So what your saying is.. he probably is out next game then?

Love the scientific breakdown as always!!

He also choked in college. SU was lined up to play #2 seed Wake Forest in the 2003 sweet 16 if the chalk held up. I would have enjoyed seeing Edelin treat Chris Paul like Chris Thomas.
Paul actually wasn't at Wake yet at that point. You may be thinking of Josh Howard.

But they did get bounced in Paul's final year in 2005 by West Virginia.

Paul actually wasn't at Wake yet at that point. You may be thinking of Josh Howard.

He must be thinking of fellow Oak Hill guard Justin Gray?

Premise for OKC was that SGA is gonna be expensive soon and its gonna be a while before they are ready to turn their picks into anything. Basically are just turning back the timeline 3 years and getting another elite guy in Suggs Green or Mobley to start with. May not be brilliant but I can understand why it could make sense to Presti with that arsenal he has. Not like SGA is old by any means but is likely gonna be a $30m/year guy soon on a team not going anywhere for 3/4 more years.
But who cares? The way that team is constructed they have to pay somebody. They might as well pay a really good and super young player rather than giving that money to older lesser guys. I just don’t see it. They already struck gold and can lock him in for a long time before he even hits his prime.

Got bounced by one of my favorite non-Cuse tandems of all time...

1625078910175.png

I would also say they have so few other high salary guys, that even when SGA is expensive, so what? He is making 25% of the cap or whatever, they aren't going to have any other big salaries clogging them up. He should be the guy they are building around.

Plus, like you said, they have so many picks they're going to need to trade some, and it's not like OKC is a FA destination, so the most likely route to contention is them trading for a star (duh, or drafting one, brainfart by me), and it seems like it's a lot easier to trade for/extend a star if you already have one.
Yeah, I generally believe that NBA front offices tend to be pretty smart, but it's nuts to me when the conversation turns to how good young players are in the wrong window. They're always in the right window! Even on the 2nd contract those are often your most productive guys!

They're part of the answer!

Yeah, I generally believe that NBA front offices tend to be pretty smart, but it's nuts to me when the conversation turns to how good young players are in the wrong window. They're always in the right window! Even on the 2nd contract those are often your most productive guys!

They're part of the answer!
The only counter to that I can see is if they feel that one of Green/Suggs is an equal or superior player to what they have in SGA. I'd rather have the bird in hand but there are fringe benefits if they think that one of the kids in the draft is an equal player. That extra $25m of cap room per year allows them to keep making the shrewd moves they have been in taking on other teams crap contracts in exchange for assets.

It will also guarantee that they will be at the very bottom of the standings for the next 2-3 years. Well my preference would be to hold onto SGA, I can see why it would be something to think about. If SGA and Kemba are healthy and Dort, Bazley and Poku make strides along with whoever they get at 6, they'll likely push themselves out of the very bottom of the standings where they have the best shot at franchise guys going forward. If they remove SGA and were to add #4 and 6 then that would pretty much guarantee they are garbage next year.

I've heard from sources I trust that - hard to believe - Giannis has no ligament tears. Likely bone bruise, and some capsule stress, but all ligaments intact. Not sure if this has been announced on social media yet, but if not I'm sure it will be in short order.

The only counter to that I can see is if they feel that one of Green/Suggs is an equal or superior player to what they have in SGA. I'd rather have the bird in hand but there are fringe benefits if they think that one of the kids in the draft is an equal player. That extra $25m of cap room per year allows them to keep making the shrewd moves they have been in taking on other teams crap contracts in exchange for assets.

It will also guarantee that they will be at the very bottom of the standings for the next 2-3 years. Well my preference would be to hold onto SGA, I can see why it would be something to think about. If SGA and Kemba are healthy and Dort, Bazley and Poku make strides along with whoever they get at 6, they'll likely push themselves out of the very bottom of the standings where they have the best shot at franchise guys going forward. If they remove SGA and were to add #4 and 6 then that would pretty much guarantee they are garbage next year.
Yeah I see what you're saying, but asset wise, with the salary floor they gotta pay somebody. SGA on $25M is a solid asset, plus eats some of the minimum they need to hit the floor. If $25M isn't going to SGA, it's still going somewhere. It could very well be less movable attached to other players.

Plus, I don't know, with the number of picks they have I feel like that means you don't have to bottom out and try to secure the best lottery odds for your own picks. They have so many draft choices if they like guys, they're going to have the option to swap picks around and move up.

I just feel like OKC is in a pretty unprecedented situation. It's really bizarre. Every viable avenue they have to improve is open to them, all at the same time, and for years to come. Why wait? Plus, I mean look at the Hawks. They went bananas last off-season and signed a bunch of dudes and now they're in a 3 game series to make a finals appearance.

NBA franchises gotta shoot their shot.

I never understood the fascination the general population, not necessarily you, have with famous people, especially Hollywood. In a totally unrelated comment, Allison Mack, from Smallville, will be sentenced this week for her role in the NXIAM cult regarding s e xual abuse and other things. Yes she helped the prosecution but hopefully she has to serve at least five years of real jail time. Then, I wonder, upon her release, if her fans will wait in lines for her autograph at Comic Con.
3 years.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but asset wise, with the salary floor they gotta pay somebody. SGA on $25M is a solid asset, plus eats some of the minimum they need to hit the floor. If $25M isn't going to SGA, it's still going somewhere. It could very well be less movable attached to other players.

Plus, I don't know, with the number of picks they have I feel like that means you don't have to bottom out and try to secure the best lottery odds for your own picks. They have so many draft choices if they like guys, they're going to have the option to swap picks around and move up.

I just feel like OKC is in a pretty unprecedented situation. It's really bizarre. Every viable avenue they have to improve is open to them, all at the same time, and for years to come. Why wait? Plus, I mean look at the Hawks. They went bananas last off-season and signed a bunch of dudes and now they're in a 3 game series to make a finals appearance.

NBA franchises gotta shoot their shot.

They almost have to do this; they have so many picks coming there's no way they can roster all of them. Throw in an extra first here or there to move up to take a guy you really like.

You look at their page here and its just insane. A lot of the picks are first rounders from good teams too, a bunch of them may end up in the 20s. Maybe you can use them now to cash in and move up

They almost have to do this; they have so many picks coming there's no way they can roster all of them. Throw in an extra first here or there to move up to take a guy you really like.

You look at their page here and its just insane. A lot of the picks are first rounders from good teams too, a bunch of them may end up in the 20s. Maybe you can use them now to cash in and move up
Yeah you get to OKC and then you just scroll for a while.

I guess they could just sell some picks, but... that's dumb.

Yeah you get to OKC and then you just scroll for a while.

I guess they could just sell some picks, but... that's dumb.

I was just reading (or I heard it? who knows) that the last time a first round pick was sold it was the one that turned into Rudy Gobert in 2013

I was just reading (or I heard it? who knows) that the last time a first round pick was sold it was the one that turned into Rudy Gobert in 2013

That is correct.
The pick that became Loul Deng was sold to the Chicago Bulls from Phoenix for 3 million dollars because Sarver is a cheap owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom