NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 158 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

Wilt is def a weird one, I think for sure early in his career he was heavily stat focused at the expense of winning. (though maybe thats a little harsh, they weren't bad, and they usually lost to the Celtics, which, no shame in that). And even later in the career you read the stories about how he was fixated on leading the league in assists, which kind of makes you think he got the right answer but for the wrong reason. But from like 67 on his teams were awesome and he was much more of a team player. And then you read the stuff about how he never fouled out of a game and he was kinda focused on protecting that record, and again, it makes you think he wasn't always focused purely on winning. But also, he was so dominant and his teams were usually very good at worst and he did win 2 titles and came close to others. So I dunno.

I may as well do a top 20. This will probably be an awful list, but whatever
1) Lebron
2) Jordan
3) Kareem
4) Duncan
5) Magic
6) Steph
7) Russell
8) Shaq
9) Bird
10) Hakeem
11) Durant
12) Wilt
13) Kobe
14) West
15) Giannis
16) KG
17) Oscar
18) Malone
19) Robinson
20) West

Like I said, I'm sure this list sucks. (making one is harder than criticizing one! Just stuck Giannis in the back half of the second 10, but that might be an insult to him. I feel like the top 3 is a class by itself, I struggled deciding on 4. I also wanted to put Hakeem > Shaq but couldn't pull the trigger.
It’s very tough. And for me, the thing that stands out the most is LeBron at 1. As far as I’m concerned, MJ has that locked up.

That's not stupid. That's a definition.

Nobody is saying whether the triple double is a better game. It's just a thing.
Nobody is saying that ? An NBA mvp award was doled out solely because of that stat not too long ago

Gotta say, I think he is a good guy, and a great coach. Teams never panic. Not afraid of players egos, and the players all seem to believe that he cares about them, but not at the expense of winning.
He also appears to be very unassuming and humble.

So, Kerr vs Phil vs Red as coach.
Who you got?

It’s very tough. And for me, the thing that stands out the most is LeBron at 1. As far as I’m concerned, MJ has that locked up.

I could clearly go either way with that one. I leaned in the direction of Lebron's longevity, but maybe thats a wrong call. MJ was was a super super elite player from what, his third season to to the final Bulls one? So we're talking 10-11 seasons. Lebron has been that dude for like 15-16 seasons. Jordan was more durable in seasons, so maybe that closes the gap a little.

This could be the wrong way to think about it, but to me, I would rather have Lebron for his entire career (which is still going) than Jordan's entire career. Gives me a few more seasons to win a ring.

I could clearly go either way with that one. I leaned in the direction of Lebron's longevity, but maybe thats a wrong call. MJ was was a super super elite player from what, his third season to to the final Bulls one? So we're talking 10-11 seasons. Lebron has been that dude for like 15-16 seasons. Jordan was more durable in seasons, so maybe that closes the gap a little.

This could be the wrong way to think about it, but to me, I would rather have Lebron for his entire career (which is still going) than Jordan's entire career. Gives me a few more seasons to win a ring.
Totally arbitrary and subjective: who would you want to take the shot to win or lose: LBJ or MJ.
(BTW: I think LBJ is the more complete player, but that was by design. He always saw himself as a facilitator. MJ was always the guy. Also, I think LBJ is probably a better guy than MJ, if rumors are to be believed.)

Totally arbitrary and subjective: who would you want to take the shot to win or lose: LBJ or MJ.
(BTW: I think LBJ is the more complete player, but that was by design. He always saw himself as a facilitator. MJ was always the guy. Also, I think LBJ is probably a better guy than MJ, if rumors are to be believed.)

That's kinda what I was trying to get at; both guys 100% absolutely at their apex I think the answer is MJ. (But it's close) But Lebron was at his apex (or close to it) for a few more years so I leaned him on an all time list

Stephen A.’s a clown.

Stephen A is obviously a (professional) clown but not like I agree with Thompson here either

That's kinda what I was trying to get at; both guys 100% absolutely at their apex I think the answer is MJ. (But it's close) But Lebron was at his apex (or close to it) for a few more years so I leaned him on an all time list

Stephen A is obviously a (professional) clown but not like I agree with Thompson here either
If it's overall talent: it's Wilt. If it's winning, it's Russell, otherwise MJ of LBJ. No wrong answer.

Nobody is saying that ? An NBA mvp award was doled out solely because of that stat not too long ago
Did the dudes he won the MVP over average 50/20/9?

It is insane in any era someone could ever average 50 points. Been doing lot of digging into wilt etc based on the nba conversations I’ve been having and man I wish we could have seen more footage or him playing in 80s on.

Anyone else find it weird that Klay and Draymond are taking shots at Memphis after winning a championship?

Anyone else find it weird that Klay and Draymond are taking shots at Memphis after winning a championship?
Not really. Memphis was annoying as hell. I paid a lot of attention to them because they've got some great young talent, but also a buddy recently moved to N. Arkansas like 15' from Memphis and he had a season ticket package this year so naturally he's become a huge "fan".

I loved Ja in college, love his talent in the league minus the flailing in the paint (he needs to get stronger though, or he won't last), but he can definitely be a bit much outside the game. And Green is a bozo too, as I've routinely said.

Not really. Memphis was annoying as hell. I paid a lot of attention to them because they've got some great young talent, but also a buddy recently moved to N. Arkansas like 15' from Memphis and he had a season ticket package this year so naturally he's become a huge "fan".

I loved Ja in college, love his talent in the league minus the flailing in the paint (he needs to get stronger though, or he won't last), but he can definitely be a bit much outside the game. And Green is a bozo too, as I've routinely said.
I dunno….why not throw shade immediately after the series? Curry can’t be bothered with nonsense like this.

Memphis played GSW tougher than anyone in the post-season, IMO. Would have been interesting to see the series play out with Morant healthy.

Lebron left and joined a ready made team to win his Miami titles . They don’t even count.

I dunno….why not throw shade immediately after the series? Curry can’t be bothered with nonsense like this.

Memphis played GSW tougher than anyone in the post-season, IMO. Would have been interesting to see the series play out with Morant healthy.
Memphis was a higher seed and a really good team. Yeah it’s a bummer Morant got dinged up but they also lost game 1 with him and dominated a game without him. They were better defensively without him which is a big reason they won like 75% of their games when he was out.

Of course you wanted him all series though, but I think they still lose. Future should be bright though in Memphis building around him.

It is insane in any era someone could ever average 50 points. Been doing lot of digging into wilt etc based on the nba conversations I’ve been having and man I wish we could have seen more footage or him playing in 80s on.

It's wild, I would love to see what those games looked like. Must've just been guys running up and down and chucking up so many shots.

In 1962 the average NBA team took 108 shots and 37 FT. This year? 88 shots and 22 FT. 22% more FGA, 68% more FT.

Also wild to think Wilt could just never come out of games.

I thought Ja was right. You win a championship and one of the first things you do is give oxygen to a comment that nobody even cared about when it was said? Think they were/are in Klay's head.

I thought Ja was right. You win a championship and one of the first things you do is give oxygen to a comment that nobody even cared about when it was said? Think they were/are in Klay's head.
Haha... I think since Thursday night Klay is enjoying himself just fine.

Really curious to see how this plays out. The two LA teams need him to opt in for his relatively cheap player option to facilitate a trade, while the Knicks could theoretically make some moves to sign him outright (or a sign-and-trade).

I tend to think he'll be back in Brooklyn next season but you never know with the NBA.