NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 166 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

I was 6-7 in Kareem’s last season. Magic was my first favorite, and I was watching and understanding basketball WAY younger than most kids, and I remember the playoff series in 89 and particular 90 and 91 pretty well.

But I was 12-13 when Van Exel was pulling up for deep 3’s and shadow boxing.
Man you were a tall kid..what did you end up ? 8-2,

I consider the weirdos that bet on games that they don't plan on watching and don't know any of the players playing to have a problem. I was just adding a little fun to the night in lieu of going out to watch it somewhere.
Just having fun. Not my money. IDC. Just fascinates me the number of obscure things that can be bet on.

Just having fun. Not my money. IDC. Just fascinates me the number of obscure things that can be bet on.
I usually just throw random bets on things I love. Did a handful for the NFL draft and now this but mainly just do a couple longshots in F1 races. Don't ever bother with regular games/events.

I usually just throw random bets on things I love. Did a handful for the NFL draft and now this but mainly just do a couple longshots in F1 races. Don't ever bother with regular games/events.
What's the weirdest thing you ever bet on?

I once bet a really annoying guy named Todd $5 that he couldn't eat a whole jar of mayo.

He couldn't do it. Even though I was $5 richer, I felt like we all lost.

That's not a true story by the way.

I once bet a really annoying guy named Todd $5 that he couldn't eat a whole jar of mayo.

Lost the best bar bet ever. There was a fly that had "drowned" in a beer. Guy bet us he could get it to fly. It was just laying there, dead. Easy win. The guy poured salt on the fly, which withdrew the alcohol from the fly, and it flew away. I didn't even mind paying off the bet. (A fresh beer, as I recall.)

Last edited:

Was at a pizza hut lunch buffet in my high school years

Towards end of lunch we bet some guy $10, that he could not drink a full glass of water which we filled with salt (dumped the salt shaker which was about 3/4 full). Also he had to finish the glass in 4 sips or less.

He won the $10. He also puked in my dad's car on the way back to school.

Bulls/Knicks fans.. I just came across this interview with Eddy Curry. I never heard all the details and behind the scenes stuff regarding his heart condition. Worth a watch/listen...

If the Knicks did all this to throw >$100M at Brunson, I'm going to be very upset.

well, I hate to break it to you, but...

Doing all this to go all in for a guy like Brunson. Its just classic. The best positive spin I can put on it is the only real way out for them (like most teams now) is 1) draft a star or 2) trade for a star. Blowing cap space probably doesn't affect 2. As for 1, it will probably make them a little better, but the lottery odds are flat now so I dunno.

Doing all this to go all in for a guy like Brunson. Its just classic. The best positive spin I can put on it is the only real way out for them (like most teams now) is 1) draft a star or 2) trade for a star. Blowing cap space probably doesn't affect 2. As for 1, it will probably make them a little better, but the lottery odds are flat now so I dunno.
Give the Jazz salary filler and all the draft picks for Mitchell!!!

Give the Jazz salary filler and all the draft picks for Mitchell!!!

I very much think thats a possibility. Feels very Knicks to make a huge FA offer to Brunson and trade the farm for Mitchell; both guys are good to very good but thats not exactly a title caliber core.

I saw the Jazz have a TPE that would fit Burks in; wonder if they would have any interest in taking him for a year for a second rounder.

I very much think thats a possibility. Feels very Knicks to make a huge FA offer to Brunson and trade the farm for Mitchell; both guys are good to very good but thats not exactly a title caliber core.

I saw the Jazz have a TPE that would fit Burks in; wonder if they would have any interest in taking him for a year for a second rounder.
I don't think so, unless they can shed a ton of salary elsewhere. The new owner isn't a fan of the repeater tax.

There will be a no-trade in any contract. Not sure his dad and former agent would do that to him.

If what this guy says is true, it’s going to be a few years of mediocrity that will hopefully pay off with a superstar three or four years from now.

If what this guy says is true, it’s going to be a few years of mediocrity that will hopefully pay off with a superstar three or four years from now.

There's a certain logic to it.

In a year if they package Brunson and picks to get Donovan Mitchell from the Jazz I think that works.

I get the thought process. The cap space is basically going to evaporate when they sign Barrett (especially if they sign Mitch)

They need to draft or trade for a star. That's basically the issue. FA doesn't seem to be the way to acquire those guys anymore. It's going to be a lot harder to draft one if you're constantly picking around 10.

I’m not super convinced $100 mil for Brunson is a bad deal. Feel like it could even be an underpay/not enough to get him out of Dallas.

It's wild, I would love to see what those games looked like. Must've just been guys running up and down and chucking up so many shots.

In 1962 the average NBA team took 108 shots and 37 FT. This year? 88 shots and 22 FT. 22% more FGA, 68% more FT.

Also wild to think Wilt could just never come out of games.
Not quite the same, but same era. My dad played in the Syracuse Parochial league in the 50's. He said first guy open over half court had the green light, and was expected to shot.

6-10 225. 1 inch in height difference between he and Cole and both essentially just shooters.
While true, Novak’s 3 point shooting numbers were just insane.

51%, 43%, 46%, 47% from 3 in his four seasons. 354-768 (46%) for his career. 93% from the FT line too.

28%, 35%, 40%, 41% for Cole. Steady improvement and a very good shooter, but his best season wasn’t as good as Novak’s worst. 167-438 (38%) for his career. 79% from the FT line.

While true, Novak’s 3 point shooting numbers were just insane.

51%, 43%, 46%, 47% from 3 in his four seasons. 354-768 (46%) for his career. 93% from the FT line too.

28%, 35%, 40%, 41% for Cole. Steady improvement and a very good shooter, but his best season wasn’t as good as Novak’s worst. 167-438 (38%) for his career. 79% from the FT line.

Yeah I did phrase it as anything can happen FYI...

I remember in high school a bunch of people were willing to pay one of our friends to try and drink a gallon of strawberry milk in the senior lounge. This was after seeing the milk challenge on Jackass and it ended up with him getting about 3/4 of the way there and then just projectile vomiting pink liquid all over the place for a while. It still gets talked about 20 years later.