NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

He is definitely underpaid on that deal.
He will probably be a problem as he will want numbers to go back on the market next year.
There should be more money in FA next year.
I would flip him at the trade deadline for a pick as the Celtics aren’t winning much next year.
They will have max slot cap room next summer.
Schroeder turning down 84 million is one of the worst blunders of alltime.

For 1 year 5.9 million it’s a deal the Celtics or any team has to do. Not using the full 9.5 MLE prevents the Celtics from being hard capped again.
It surpasses the Kemba to Knicks deal as the best non vet minimum value deal.

I would take Schroeder over Kemba now.

It's interesting you say that because I was dreading the Knicks possibly signing Schroeder and I am beyond pumped they got Kemba. But theres a reasonable chance Kemba is just cooked physically, so I get it.

Schroeder’s camp is saying he didn’t sign the extension with the Lakers because if he did he would have been traded.
That the Lakers just wanted his cap number to trade him for another piece.
Dumb logic but that is the spin.

It's interesting you say that because I was dreading the Knicks possibly signing Schroeder and I am beyond pumped they got Kemba. But theres a reasonable chance Kemba is just cooked physically, so I get it.
Kemba’s knee has been a potato for 1.5 years now. The Knicks having Rose/Quickley and Fournier makes him less risky. Right now though I would rather have Schroder at 1 year then Kemba. Now if you guys paid Schroder the Fournier contract I would get preferring Kemba.

Schroeder’s camp is saying he didn’t sign the extension with the Lakers because if he did he would have been traded.
He's probably going to be traded now too but just for less money lol

He's probably going to be traded now too but just for less money lol
If Boston isn’t top 4 in the east at the deadline I trade for a pick that somebody contending will give them.
He didn’t want to go Sacramento for Buddy Hield or something like that but he would gotten his bag. It’s dumb logic.

If Boston isn’t top 4 in the east at the deadline I trade for a pick that somebody contending will give them.
He didn’t want to go Sacramento for Buddy Hield or something like that but he would gotten his bag. It’s dumb logic.
Yeah...I suppose the upside of getting traded now is with the $5.9 mil cap number, you're probably more likely to find a contender-ish team that wants him rather than just dumping him on some team like OKC.

Kinda interesting angle to the potential Lillard trades that I hadn't considered before from Zach Lowe's latest article:
  • He views Philly, New York, and New Orleans as the contenders for Lillard if he actually requests a trade, though New Orleans' potential interest level is unknown at this point.
  • Lowe pointed out that if it really just boils down to New York and Philly, Portland would have to wait until at least mid-December if not later to entertain a trade with New York because all of their salary-matching options are new contracts that aren't trade eligible until later in the year. So basically, Philly is hoping that things blow up in Portland before New York can actually make a trade. And at the same time, Philly is inclined to trade Simmons sooner than later due to how awkward it will be if Simmons returns to the team.
The other somewhat interesting stuff in there:
  • He thinks people may be freaking out about the spacing of a team with both Draymond and Simmons too much; he thinks with their playmaking abilities and the shooting that Golden State can surround them with, they could make magic.
  • Also mentions that he's absolutely not available right now and may never be, but the guy Golden State should be hoping for is KAT.

Kinda interesting angle to the potential Lillard trades that I hadn't considered before from Zach Lowe's latest article:
  • He views Philly, New York, and New Orleans as the contenders for Lillard if he actually requests a trade, though New Orleans' potential interest level is unknown at this point.
  • Lowe pointed out that if it really just boils down to New York and Philly, Portland would have to wait until at least mid-December if not later to entertain a trade with New York because all of their salary-matching options are new contracts that aren't trade eligible until later in the year. So basically, Philly is hoping that things blow up in Portland before New York can actually make a trade. And at the same time, Philly is inclined to trade Simmons sooner than later due to how awkward it will be if Simmons returns to the team.
The other somewhat interesting stuff in there:
  • He thinks people may be freaking out about the spacing of a team with both Draymond and Simmons too much; he thinks with their playmaking abilities and the shooting that Golden State can surround them with, they could make magic.
  • Also mentions that he's absolutely not available right now and may never be, but the guy Golden State should be hoping for is KAT.

This is why i thought maybe their best chance to make a Lillard deal happen would be before FA, could take him into cap space. But he hasn't demanded one yet, so I figure/hope at this point he won't ask for one until closer to to the trade deadline. It's an interesting mix with Philly though, as they def would like to move Simmons before the season.

Lillard makes so much next season, it's maybe a little more difficult than I thought for the Knicks to match salary. I'm sure they will make it happen if they need to, but Dame is making either 39 or 43 million (i've read both, not sure which is correct) next season

My draft heart throb Alperen Sengun trying to lock up his Hall of Fame spot through two summer league games.

BTW, I’m not sure how long it’s going to take before NBA teams understand that the top international leagues that guys crush it in and get mvp like Luka and Sengun have better competition and talent than college.

These leagues have grown men with experience and talent that know how to play ball.

When Luka was coming up, there were comments like “but can he do it against D1 teams” or whatever. And it’s hilarious because the league he was in was MUCH better than the NCAA.

Last edited:
BTW, I’m not sure how long it’s going to take before NBA teams understand that the top international leagues that guys crush it in and get mvp like Luka and Sengun have better competition and talent than college.

These leagues have grown me with experience and talent that know how to play ball.

When Luka was coming up, there were comments like “but can he do it against D1 teams” or whatever. And it’s hilarious because the league he was in was MUCH better than the NCAA.
This is all true.

These leagues have grown me with experience and talent that know how to play ball.

Luka would have been the best freshman in college basketball history.

These leagues have grown men with experience and talent that know how to play ball.

if that league is so good how come they aren't on Big Monday??

it would have been him and the freshman team Lew Alcindor as the best two frosh of all time.

I think about this from time to time, it blows my mind. In his first (soph) season at UCLA, he avergaed 29-15 and shot 67% from the field. UCLA went 30-0 and won the national title. So, obviously, he would've been about that good as a freshmen. But also, after that soph season, he played 2 more years in college! His rookie year in the NBA he averaged 29-15, and the Bucks went from 27 wins to 56.

I sometimes wonder if college stunted his development a little, even as great as he ended up being. How much could he really have improved in college if he was the best player in the country probably from the day he showed up on UCLA campus? I try and imagine Lebron playing 4 years in college (I would throw Lebron up there with Luka and Kareem as potentially best freshmen in history) and I feel like his game for sure would've stagnated if he played 4 years in college.

On one hand it was probably an accurate read. The Lakers were likely looking to potentially use him as filler.

But sometimes you have to accept your fate and value as a player. No one was going to use 20m of pure cap space to sign him. So then it was hope any team signs him to near that and they can work a sign and trade with the Lakers who would not be interested.

So accept your status and take the money even if you know you could end up in a so so situation.