NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

Realize not relevant to most here, but the Knicks Kids just came back from 17 down in Q4 to win by 8 in Miami.
Whole new team since Julius has been out -Obi has been filling the stat sheet, Sims was +19 and IQ had a great game.
I'm OK with Robinson and Randle moving on and building with the young guys (if Thibs seeing the light).
Don’t forget about Q Grimes ..

Realize not relevant to most here, but the Knicks Kids just came back from 17 down in Q4 to win by 8 in Miami.
Whole new team since Julius has been out -Obi has been filling the stat sheet, Sims was +19 and IQ had a great game.
I'm OK with Robinson and Randle moving on and building with the young guys (if Thibs seeing the light).
Won't happen until Thibs moves on.

Jack Armstrong is the Raptors TV analyst. Looks about 70, only 56.
Drops the name Ron Jeremy.

Milwaukee and Boston are playing like they don’t care where they finish.
Miami and Philadelphia are playing like they don’t want Brooklyn.

Toronto getting that 6 is ideal for people who don’t Brooklyn to finish 8th seed.
Toronto hosting Brooklyn in the 7 seed game would require no Kyrie.
Toronto at 6 gives the Nets Kyrie for the 7 seed game.

Was just coming over to post an Eastern Conference Update, but see Alsacs beat me to it.
Toronto is now officially 6th and Cleveland is now 7th.

Charlotte got a huge win last night against Utah... they could still sneak into the 8th spot over somebody.

As of now Boston vs Toronto in the 3 vs 6, but things are changing rapidly. Would like retribution for that 2020 playoff bubble series, but also realize Boston is the hottest team in the East and they probably give us more beatdowns than anybody in recent years. So that might not be the ideal matchup.

If I had to pick someone I would prefer to play Miami. We have played them well this year.

1648351478140.png

Looks, from the uniform number, like baby LeBron was a Magic fan. Or maybe Jim Brown or Sandy Koufax.

Would have liked the to match up against a healthy Boston team tonight. Would have been a very good test. But Brown, Tatum, Williams are all out.

In the end its more important to get the W and lock up that playoff spot and avoid the play in.

My All NBA right now:
Luka
Demar
Jokic
Embiid
Giannis

(dont care what the rules are, I'm putting those three in the front court)

2nd Team
Ja
Steph
Bron
KD
Tatum

3rd Team
CP3
Booker
Lavine
KAT
Rudy

Apologies to Donovan Mitchell who I'm sure can be swapped out for a wing on the third team. I can't put Harden on any of these teams.
Looping back to this, my guess for how the teams ultimately shake out would be:

1st Team
Jokic
Giannis
Tatum
Booker
Luka

2nd Team
Embiid
LeBron
Durant
Steph
Ja

3rd Team
KAT
DeRozan
Butler
CP3
Mitchell

The ones that I think could change pretty easily would be:
  • Mitchell > Trae Young
  • Butler > Siakam
  • LeBron > DeRozan
  • Embiid > Jokic
  • Luka > Steph/Ja

Would have liked the to match up against a healthy Boston team tonight. Would have been a very good test. But Brown, Tatum, Williams are all out.

In the end its more important to get the W and lock up that playoff spot and avoid the play in.
Boston tanking a game because it helps them with Brooklyn.
Toronto at 6 is better than Toronto at 7.

I think they are resting the stars non-Williams tonight because of that. They will play against Miami on Wednesday.

Toronto deserves a break. The non-vaccinatied not allowed in Canada is an advantage for Toronto in basketball and baseball.

The non-vaccinatied not allowed in Canada is an advantage for Toronto in basketball and baseball.
That’s only accurate because all the international non US citizen Raptors (and hopefully the Jays) are vaccinated.

The impacts would actually be worse for the Jays and Raptors if they had non US citizens players that we’re not vaccinated.

The USA has the exact same rules as Canada for non vaccinated non US citizens trying to enter the country. So calling it an exclusive advantage to Toronto teams is not really fair.

If a Raptors international (non US citizen) decided to not vaccinate they would miss half the season jnstead of only a few games like Kyrie.

Last edited:
That’s only accurate because all the international non US citizen Raptors (and hopefully the Jays) are vaccinated.

The impacts would actually be worse for the Jays and Raptors if they had non US citizens players that we’re not vaccinated.

The USA has the exact same rules as Canada for non vaccinated non US citizens trying to enter the country. So calling it an exclusive advantage to Toronto teams is not really fair.

If a Raptors international (non US citizen) decided to not vaccinate they would miss half the season jnstead of only a few games like Kyrie.
I got no problem with the Canada rule for the record.

It’s just an advantage as Aaron Judge and Anthony Rizzo as of now won’t be allowed to play against the Jays.

The Red Sox made Trevor Story get the jab as a condition of signing.

The NBA outside of Kyrie I don’t know any players not vaccinated.

All i was saying it could be an advantage. It does force Toronto players to be vaccinated though as you said.

Moron alert …. Talks about another team .. then gets butt hurt and tells responder to worry about his own team

Nets currently tied with Detroit midway through the 4th (with Durant and Irving playing)
This is after they lost to Charlotte last game.

At this point with 1-4 so close, 5-7 so close, and 8-10 so close, not sure if it makes any sense for any teams to break their rhythm or change things specifically to try to avoid the Nets... when trying to do is so difficult because the moving parts within those 3 groups so close to each other.

Teams should try to get healthy, rest as needed on back 2 backs, work on systems, but I don't think messing with things to plan around Brooklyn makes any sense. Plan what is best for your team to play well in the playoffs.

Chris Mannix of SI claims that Al Horford and Jaylen Brown are unvaccinated at the 4:20 mark. Interesting because it came up yesterday, and the Celtics coach and some media said all the players are eligible to play in Canada. So who knows who to actually believe here. Mannix says some guys will get vaccinated though if it impacts their ability to play.

Chris Mannix of SI claims that Al Horford and Jaylen Brown are unvaccinated at the 4:20 mark. Interesting because it came up yesterday, and the Celtics coach and some media said all the players are eligible to play in Canada. So who knows who to actually believe here. Mannix says some guys will get vaccinated though if it impacts their ability to play.

I heard Tatum said no comment or something when he was asked about the team being vaccinated. Windhorst or someone else was hinting that some of the Celtics are unvaccinated too.

Horford was hurt. He wasn’t playing yesterday.
Tatum was given a matience day.
Brown probably is unvaccinated and that is why he was out.

I am sure they get the vaccine if Boston plays Toronto in the playoffs.

I heard Tatum said no comment or something when he was asked about the team being vaccinated. Windhorst or someone else was hinting that some of the Celtics are unvaccinated too.
Apparently there are no issues at all with Tatum.

Apparently there are no issues at all with Tatum.
Tatum has gotten Covid 2 times. I think he has been vaccinated. He said last year when he got it from Brad Beal it really affected his conditioning and lungs.

Tatum was given the game off because he took a beating the night before against the T-Wolves and a back to back on the road.
Brown was a surprise scratch but makes sense it was vaccine related.
Horford was hurt and wouldn’t have played yesterday.

I think those 2 might be unvaccinated though.

Horford was hurt. He wasn’t playing yesterday.
Tatum was given a matience day.
Brown probably is unvaccinated and that is why he was out.

I am sure they get the vaccine if Boston plays Toronto in the playoffs.

Its interesting that Mannix said the same... i.e they will just get vaccinated.

But I think it might already be too late (EDIT - unless they got on that J&J fairly Pronto). From Government of Canada Website, it appears you have to have had your two shots for 14 days. I checked the US rules if a Canadian wanted to go in and they are very similar.

1648607771836.png

Last edited:
Tatum has gotten Covid 2 times. I think he has been vaccinated. He said last year when he got it from Brad Beal it really affected his conditioning and lungs.

Tatum was given the game off because he took a beating the night before against the T-Wolves and a back to back on the road.

Based on the way Boston played last night they could probably still win a game without the two of them, even if they are huge losses.

That team last night played hard and well with all those absences -- Udoka has done something right installing the system. Then again it may have been the Raps who play well against good teams and have absurd What losses.

If Brown and Horford could not play it made plenty of sense to rest Tatum as well.

What do Boston fans think of the loss of Robert Williams (or is he coming back for playoffs?) Seems like a big loss to me -- he almost always played well against the Raptors.

If Brown and Horford could not play it made plenty of sense to rest Tatum as well.

What do Boston fans think of the loss of Robert Williams (or is he coming back for playoffs?) Seems like a big loss to me -- he almost always played well against the Raptors.
Rob Williams defense is elite. He is a huge loss to win the East.
They are saying 4 weeks and he can come back.
If they can get to the ECF I think he would be back.

They should win round 1 without him. Theis is a solid 3rd big who can fill in for the short term.

I think the Celtics will finish 3rd or 4th.
Philadelphia, Milwaukee 1-2.
Boston, Miami 3-4
Chicago, Toronto, Cleveland 5-7
Brooklyn, Charlotte, Atlanta 8–10.

Rob Williams defense is elite. He is a huge loss to win the East.
They are saying 4 weeks and he can come back.
If they can get to the ECF I think he would be back.

They should win round 1 without him. Theis is a solid 3rd big who can fill in for the short term.

I think the Celtics will finish 3rd or 4th.
Philadelphia, Milwaukee 1-2.
Boston, Miami 3-4
Chicago, Toronto, Cleveland 5-7
Brooklyn, Charlotte, Atlanta 8–10.

I think Cleveland will be the one that ends up in 7th, but obviously far from settled... Mobley is day to day, and Raps have an easier schedule (6 home, 2 road)

I see the Hornets have 1 game left against Miami and Philly. (and are only 1/2 game behind Brooklyn)
Will be interesting to see if Miami and Philly put put their G-League team against the Hornets.

Its in the interest of all those team to try to get Charlotte into that 8th spot ahead of Brooklyn, and force Brooklyn win 2 games to play themselves in.

Last edited: