NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

The hottest team in the last 10 games in the NBA is the T'Wolves.

They are 6th in the west and have an outside shot to catch Dallas at the 5.

They may still end up 7th, but want to give a shout to a team that I'd never thought I'd give a shout to.
I bust on them a lot but it would be a nice righting of the ship for them to avoid the play-in games.

Due more to talent, style, or strategy?

If I believed that, (not my comment, so I'm not sure I do), it would have to be strategy/style of play.

The 86 Celtics, to pick a random team, made 1.7 3's per game. Karl Anthony Towns himself makes 2.1 per game t his year. Minnesota makes 14 3's a game. (they're first in 3's per game, I never would've guessed) If the Celtics are playing the way the normally do, but transported to this era, I'm just not sure you can make up that difference.

I do believe the average player is better now than in the 80s or 90s. And the best players are probably better as well. But I also believe if you put Bird, for instance, in today's game he would be shooting (and making) a ton of threes.

I find Oakley very annoying.

"For Mike and Scottie, I think it' something else besides 'The Last Dance' because yeah, Scottie, they didn't give him a lot of headlines like they did Dennis Rodman or Kerr, but I think Mike could have won without Scottie...you just gotta live with it."

If "Mike could have won without Scottie" then why didn't Mike win a title without Scottie?

Really Lebron ? You’re the best to ever do it ? I didn’t realize we had all decided that
Here is a great article from December 2020 with interviews of the four guys who played with both MJ and LBJ. Some great lines. MJ wanted to beat you in a way that you are too embarrassed to ride home with your wife.

Last edited:
Hey -how bout those Knicks everybody?
Black MSG floor matches the cloud that returned this season.

Julius' apparent fragile mental state a growing concern -esp since Payne left. $130K total fines.
Went from "need a star complement Julius" to "shop Julius".

Guards feasting on Knicks D -Mitchell's 36 topped by Trae's 45.
Trae owns the Knicks -demolished them last night.

10 games to get a look at the young guys and collect L's with hope a good lottery result.

Hey -how bout those Knicks everybody?
Black MSG floor matches the cloud that returned this season.

Julius' apparent fragile mental state a growing concern -esp since Payne left. $130K total fines.
Went from "need a star complement Julius" to "shop Julius".

Guards feasting on Knicks D -Mitchell's 36 topped by Trae's 45.
Trae owns the Knicks -demolished them last night.

10 games to get a look at the young guys and collect L's with hope a good lottery result.
Who is this years Elfrid Payton or Knox ?

The Celtics have looked amazing for like 2 months now. I am starting to get concerned!!
Yup. Not a fan of anything Boston. But they are really playing well together and it seems like everyone has elevated their game.

The Celtics have looked amazing for like 2 months now. I am starting to get concerned!!
Tatum upped his game they got White for Schroeder minutes and can defend about as good as you can in the modern NBA.

Celtics biggest issue is 3rd scorer.
White/Smart/Horford one of them has to be on in the playoffs.

Milwaukee is the worst matchup for Boston in the East.
The rest I would favorable matchup with.
Brooklyn would be the hardest of the rest but Boston realistically would have a good chance to beat them.
Boston has the perimeter defense to contain Harden and Philadelphia IMO.
I just want on the other side of Milwaukee. Don’t want them till ECF.

The top 4 in the East are 2 games apart.

The NBA should allow the top 3 in each conference to pick their first round opponents like G league.
That way Brooklyn wouldn’t be such an enigma coming down the stretch.

Like I would want the 1 seed unless Brooklyn finishes 9th.

Tatum upped his game they got White for Schroeder minutes and can defend about as good as you can in the modern NBA.

Celtics biggest issue is 3rd scorer.
White/Smart/Horford one of them has to be on in the playoffs.

Milwaukee is the worst matchup for Boston in the East.
The rest I would favorable matchup with.
Brooklyn would be the hardest of the rest but Boston realistically would have a good chance to beat them.
Boston has the perimeter defense to contain Harden and Philadelphia IMO.
I just want on the other side of Milwaukee. Don’t want them till ECF.

The top 4 in the East are 2 games apart.

The NBA should allow the top 3 in each conference to pick their first round opponents like G league.
That way Brooklyn wouldn’t be such an enigma coming down the stretch.

Like I would want the 1 seed unless Brooklyn finishes 9th.

Yes I can definitely see Boston having some trouble scoring in the playoffs. But their defense is absolutely killer.

Though I was watching the Nets last night; I know they lost to Memphis with no Ja, but Durant is just so damn good. I would not want to face him in a 7 game series

1648247069404.png

The East is fascinating on so many levels

Top 4
Battle for Top 6 which obviously is huge for me as a Raps fan
Battle for Top 8

The Top 4 could really go anywhere. No one may be that enthused of facing Brooklyn anyway.
Miami had the recent altercation which will either strengthen their bond or expose the team.
Boston is certainly the hottest of the bunch.

Top 6 matters to avoid the play in and its a very tight 3 team race between Chicago, Toronto and Cleveland. Toronto has the lowest win% of opponents remaining (although all the teams are close in that regard), but Toronto should have the big advantage with 7 of its last 9 at home. That being said Toronto has actually not played well at home this year (better on the road). This could go either way.

I think Brooklyn has likely run out of time to get to the top 6. Its far from impossible, but its certainly not likely that they catch 2 of the above 3 teams.

Play-in Picture - What intrigues me is how close Charlotte and even Atlanta for that matter are to Brooklyn. If either of those two streak and Brooklyn stumbles and could fall to ninth. The difference between 8th and 9th is huge. Finish 8th its win one of 2 games. Finish 9 and its must win 2 games.

Imagine a scenario where Brooklyn is ninth, wins the first game, but then must play AT Toronto for that final spot. And Kyrie Irving would not be allowed to play in Toronto as of now.

1648246438350.png

Charlotte beats Utah
Atlanta beats Golden St

Charlotte is now only a 1/2 game behind Brooklyn, and Atlanta 1.5 game behind.
As I said above Brooklyn needs to be very careful not to fall into ninth place which is much more difficult play-in route than eighth place.

Realize not relevant to most here, but the Knicks Kids just came back from 17 down in Q4 to win by 8 in Miami.
Whole new team since Julius has been out -Obi has been filling the stat sheet, Sims was +19 and IQ had a great game.
I'm OK with Robinson and Randle moving on and building with the young guys (if Thibs seeing the light).

Realize not relevant to most here, but the Knicks Kids just came back from 17 down in Q4 to win by 8 in Miami.
Whole new team since Julius has been out -Obi has been filling the stat sheet, Sims was +19 and IQ had a great game.
I'm OK with Robinson and Randle moving on and building with the young guys (if Thibs seeing the light).
That's great for the Knicks. Miami, though, wow. They were awesome 3 weeks ago.

I definitely care. Milwaukee has a real chance at the 1 seed if we keep playing well down the stretch.