NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

The potential subplot of George, Kawhi, and Powell all returning for the playoffs is breathing a little life into the West Playoffs for me again.
Unfortunately, I don’t think Leonard’s coming back this year. Powell might. They would have to play before the regular season ends, as the organization doesn’t want them coming back during the playoffs.

Looping back to this, my guess for how the teams ultimately shake out would be:

1st Team
Jokic
Giannis
Tatum
Booker
Luka

2nd Team
Embiid
LeBron
Durant
Steph
Ja

3rd Team
KAT
DeRozan
Butler
CP3
Mitchell

The ones that I think could change pretty easily would be:
  • Mitchell > Trae Young
  • Butler > Siakam
  • LeBron > DeRozan
  • Embiid > Jokic
  • Luka > Steph/Ja

I still think they’ll get Jokic, Embiid and Giannis on first team. Agree with the guards.

It’s actually crazy to me that Luka isn’t talked about more in MVP (not that he’ll win).

Bump Tatum down and I think we’re in agreement.

I think Jimmy might get bumped off third team. Dunno tho.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Leonard’s coming back this year. Powell might. They would have to play before the regular season ends, as the organization doesn’t want them coming back during the playoffs.

Assuming Pop is just emeritus status now, top coaches in some order have to be: Lue, Monty, Spo and Ime (that took juevos to do what he did this year).

Assuming Pop is just emeritus status now, top coaches in some order have to be: Lue, Monty, Spo and Ime (that took juevos to do what he did this year).
What did Ime do?

What did Ime do?

He basically called out the players over and over again to get them to buy in, publicly and behind the scenes, from what I saw and read.

Basically gave them some tough love that Brad just didn’t have in his personality.

Finally clicked and then the run started.

Trading Schroeder I’m sure helped as well.

He also tees up Timelord’s role on D perfectly. Bummer he got hurt.

What did Ime do?
Ime called out the players bullchit.

He has big boy pants to call out great players.

He is a good coach. He may need to show it a couple more years but you can see the Pop influence. He is probably top half but needs to show a litrle more for top tier.

So it begins - Sam Amico calls to ban Toronto from the playoffs if they do not play in the US.
Bear in mind that the US has the same border rules as Canada.

Last edited:
It’s a stupid take. As an American team could do the same thing.
Brooklyn and New York.

Also no offense to the Raps but they aren’t a top contender in the East. Let it be.

It’s a stupid take. As an American team could do the same thing.
Brooklyn and New York.

Also no offense to the Raps but they aren’t a top contender in the East. Let it be.

Thanks for the info. I'll contact the Raps coaching staff and let them know to send all the players home at the end of the regular season.

I still think they’ll get Jokic, Embiid and Giannis on first team. Agree with the guards.

It’s actually crazy to me that Luka isn’t talked about more in MVP (not that he’ll win).

I tend to think the voters won’t be cohesive enough to get Jokic in as a forward but maybe I’m wrong. I hope I’m not though; I think it’s stupid to vote for someone at forward that has never played a minute there.

I think Luka’s case is hurt by the fact that Dallas has statistically been better when he’s on the bench.

Thanks for the info. I'll contact the Raps coaching staff and let them know to send all the players home at the end of the regular season.
I meant a US state could enact the same rules as Canada has enacted.
It’s not a big deal.

I just being a realist I think Raptors have bounced back excellent this year I just don’t see them winning more than a round.

I meant a US state could enact the same rules as Canada has enacted.
It’s not a big deal.

I just being a realist I think Raptors have bounced back excellent this year I just don’t see them winning more than a round.

The Hawks make the semi's last year and were competitive through 4 games.
The Heat make the finals in 2020 (although that was in a bubble that was strange)

I'm going to throw out one other point that impacted things more than normal in last year's playoffs- injuries. Because of the 2020 Covid season, the NBA has compacted games and offseasons for both of the last 2 years. And there are seemingly more injuries than normal because of it. It had a big impact last year, so I think it possible it could cause some upsets again. Not that I am cheering for any team to get injured, but it will strike somebody.

There is clearly a pecking other of a top 4. Not going to disagree with that and the Raps are clearly not one of those 4. That being said they are only 3 losses behind that group, and are 28-16 in their last 44 games despite not being fully healthy.

Do I think its likely they win one or two series. No, but I think the NBA playoffs might be a little crazy again this year so can't dismiss it.

Also on your first point -- as I said the US as a country has the same border entrance rules as Canada, Not sure if you caught that -- I suspect you did and you are simply point out that a city or state could also do their own things.

Melancer and Mike - what do you think of Pascal Siakam's shot at 3rd team All-NBA. He has been 23pts, 8 rebs, 5 asts and could well lead the Raptors to 5th in the East. I think he should be in the discussion for 3rd team, but its a tough team to crack, and he may be a "4th teamer".

He is playing his best basketball in his career - probably better than the start of the 2019/2020 season. I think what hurts his chances are the 2020 playoffs where he was extremely bad. He was a mess in the bubble. A complete failure, I think he needs to play well in the playoffs (win or lose) to get some credibility back in league wide circles.

(EDIT - Siakam just got a triple double tonight (his shot wasn't falling at 5-15) but the T-Wolves kept sending the double at him and he got 13 assists.

Last edited:
Ime called out the players bullchit.

He has big boy pants to call out great players.

He is a good coach. He may need to show it a couple more years but you can see the Pop influence. He is probably top half but needs to show a litrle more for top tier.
So it’s OK for a coach to call out NBA players because…they get paid?

Melancer and Mike - what do you think of Pascal Siakam's shot at 3rd team All-NBA. He has been 23pts, 8 rebs, 5 asts and could well lead the Raptors to 5th in the East. I think he should be in the discussion for 3rd team, but its a tough team to crack, and he may be a "4th teamer".

He is playing his best basketball in his career - probably better than the start of the 2019/2020 season. I think what hurts his chances are the 2020 playoffs where he was extremely bad. He was a mess in the bubble. A complete failure, I think he needs to play well in the playoffs (win or lose) to get some credibility back in league wide circles.

(EDIT - Siakam just got a triple double tonight (his shot wasn't falling at 5-15) but the T-Wolves kept sending the double at him and he got 13 assists.

I think he’s close. Jimmy Butler just tried to fight his coach and you could argue that Bam and Herro may be more valuable to that team.

Siakam at least has an argument.

Last edited:
I think he’s close. Jimmy Butler just tried to fight his coach and you could argue that Bam and Herro may be more valuable to that team.

Dial am at least has an argument.
Miami looked pretty synced up tonight in a big road win at Boston. I guess winning will cure everything.

I mentioned in my post that I think Butler's spot could easily go to Siakam. He's been great this season but he's really flown under the radar, especially before Toronto went on their 2nd half run.

I mentioned in my post that I think Butler's spot could easily go to Siakam. He's been great this season but he's really flown under the radar, especially before Toronto went on their 2nd half run.

I think he had a rough year last year and people wrote him off just a bit but I agree he's been great this year. Barne's too

Siakam's spot could also come down to how the Jokic/Embiid thing works out. If they both make first team, someone is making it at F, which bumps someone off the list.

So it’s OK for a coach to call out NBA players because…they get paid?

It's ok if it works!