NBA Thread 2021-22 Season | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2021-22 Season

Melancer46

Living Legend
Figure with Summer League starting up, it's time to move to the 21-22 season thread.

Rockets rookies looked pretty damn good in their summer league debuts. Green stole the show, but Sengun was doing his thing too. Impressive debut from Scottie Barnes for the Raptors as well. Not so much for Cunningham and Mobley.

Summer league is a funny time. You'd rather guys look good than not, but fans can't draw many conclusions from it.

We’re actually back to October-June 82 game schedule? Man, I’m so happy. Hope all goes smoothly.

Injuries could be a problem again this year.
They played a lot of games last year in a tight schedule, and the time off between seasons will be less than normal.

Last edited:
Glad the Lakers not only held on to Talen Horton-Tucker, but signed him to a 3-year deal. Kid — won’t turn 21 till end of November — is a stud. Uncanny ability to get to hole, good shooter & only getting better, and good defender.

Watching Horton-Tucker — a second-round draft pick after one year at Iowa State — I think about what Dion could’ve been. Schmuck.

Glad the Lakers not only held on to Talen Horton-Tucker, but signed him to a 3-year deal. Kid — won’t turn 21 till end of November — is a stud. Uncanny ability to get to hole, good shooter & only getting better, and good defender.

Watching Horton-Tucker — a second-round draft pick after one year at Iowa State — I think about what Dion could’ve been. Schmuck.

He's definitely a talented dude, but it's a stretch at best to call him a good shooter when he's shot 28.5% from 3 so far in his career on almost solely open and wide open shots. Pretty much non-existent mid-range game too, so it's not like he's a DeRozan type where he's a good shooter until he takes one more step out to the 3 point line.

The Athletic's Seth Partnow revealed the first tier of his annual player tiers today. Players ranked 80-125, which equates to a "high rotation" player (basically this is the beginning of the list of players that he believes positively impact their team).

https://theathletic.com/2737630/2021...shared_article

It is behind a paywall unless you have a subscription, but for those that don't, the Tier 5 players are as follows:

Alex Caruso
Andrew Wiggins
Anthony Edwards
Blake Griffin
Bruce Brown
Buddy Hield
Cameron Payne
Collin Sexton
D'Angelo Russell
Danilo Gallinari
Danny Green
Davis Bertans
Dejounte Murray
Dennis Schroeder
Derrick White
Devonte' Graham
Duncan Robinson
Evan Fournier
Gary Trent Jr.
Harrison Barnes
Immanuel Quickley
Ivica Zubac
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Jarrett Allen
Jeff Green
Jonathan Isaac
Jordan Clarkson
Kelly Olynyk
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kevin Huerter
Kyle Anderson
Lonzo Ball
Marcus Morris Sr.
Nerlens Noel
Nicolas Batum
Norman Powell
P.J. Washington
Patrick Beverley
Reggie Jackson
Richaun Holmes
Robert Williams III
Steven Adams
T.J. Warren
Terry Rozier
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Tyrese Haliburton

Not sure why they are highlighting a 61% restricted area shooting%. That is about average in the NBA in this regard.

Last edited:
I think Davion Mitchell was vastly underrated due to age and size. Just want to get that in now.
Hope you're right! Went to the first 2 Kings summer league games last week. He looked fantastic against the warriors. Had a gummy before the game against the lakers so my perception was a bit different but wasn't as impressed. There were two people in opposite ends of my section that had it out for Mac McClung. One guy hated him cause he's a cocky white dude but another guy seemed really mad that he left Georgetown. Called him a backstabber at least 15 times. Anyways, people tend to overreact to these performances, like Sengun yesterday but I'm feeling a little better about Davion.

The Athletic's Seth Partnow revealed the first tier of his annual player tiers today. Players ranked 80-125, which equates to a "high rotation" player (basically this is the beginning of the list of players that he believes positively impact their team).

https://theathletic.com/2737630/2021...shared_article

It is behind a paywall unless you have a subscription, but for those that don't, the Tier 5 players are as follows:

Alex Caruso
Andrew Wiggins
Anthony Edwards
Blake Griffin
Bruce Brown
Buddy Hield
Cameron Payne
Collin s e xton
D'Angelo Russell
Danilo Gallinari
Danny Green
Davis Bertans
Dejounte Murray
Dennis Schroeder
Derrick White
Devonte' Graham
Duncan Robinson
Evan Fournier
Gary Trent Jr.
Harrison Barnes
Immanuel Quickley
Ivica Zubac
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Jarrett Allen
Jeff Green
Jonathan Isaac
Jordan Clarkson
Kelly Olynyk
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Kevin Huerter
Kyle Anderson
Lonzo Ball
Marcus Morris Sr.
Nerlens Noel
Nicolas Batum
Norman Powell
P.J. Washington
Patrick Beverley
Reggie Jackson
Richaun Holmes
Robert Williams III
Steven Adams
T.J. Warren
Terry Rozier
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Tyrese Haliburton

Tier 4 was today, Knicks had 3 more guys on the list, and are now presumably done. (Randle, Rose, Kemba)

I was pretty surprised with how relatively high Seth was on most of the Knicks that made the list

Tier 4 was today, Knicks had 3 more guys on the list, and are now presumably done. (Randle, Rose, Kemba)

I was pretty surprised with how relatively high Seth was on most of the Knicks that made the list
I think 4 of Atlanta's 5 starters were revealed today too lol. Only one left is Trae. Bucks only have one guy so far but will obviously have 3 in the upper tiers still to be released.

Figure with Summer League starting up, it's time to move to the 21-22 season thread.

Rockets rookies looked pretty damn good in their summer league debuts. Green stole the show, but Sengun was doing his thing too. Impressive debut from Scottie Barnes for the Raptors as well. Not so much for Cunningham and Mobley.

Best thread of the year on this site, imo.

I think 4 of Atlanta's 5 starters were revealed today too lol. Only one left is Trae. Bucks only have one guy so far but will obviously have 3 in the upper tiers still to be released.

I had to laugh when both of the Bogdanovics were right next to each other on the list. Had to be intentional

Wonder where Trae lands; last year tier 3 was 17-37 in the overall rankings, and Trae was back end tier 3, in the 31-37 group. For sure moving up, wonder if he can crack tier 2 after that killer playoff run.

The "worst" tier 2 guys last year were Paul George, Chris Paul, Rudy Gobert, and Jayson Tatum.

I don't want him on the Celts. Just no.
For 5.9 million it’s a great deal.
He didn’t even get the full MLE and no second year.

This guy can be depth and flipped at the deadline for an asset if they suck.
It’s a great deal I don’t get why other teams didn’t offer it.

For 5.9 million it’s a great deal.
He didn’t even get the full MLE and no second year.

This guy can be depth and flipped at the deadline for an asset if they suck.
It’s a great deal I don’t get why other teams didn’t offer it.
Yeah, someone might be getting a major bargain at this point.

He misplayed the FA market and is inconsistent, but he can play.

Yeah, someone might be getting a major bargain at this point.

He misplayed the FA market and is inconsistent, but he can play.
He is definitely underpaid on that deal.
He will probably be a problem as he will want numbers to go back on the market next year.
There should be more money in FA next year.
I would flip him at the trade deadline for a pick as the Celtics aren’t winning much next year.
They will have max slot cap room next summer.
Schroeder turning down 84 million is one of the worst blunders of alltime.

For 1 year 5.9 million it’s a deal the Celtics or any team has to do. Not using the full 9.5 MLE prevents the Celtics from being hard capped again.
It surpasses the Kemba to Knicks deal as the best non vet minimum value deal.

I would take Schroeder over Kemba now.

He is definitely underpaid on that deal.
He will probably be a problem as he will want numbers to go back on the market next year.
There should be more money in FA next year.
I would flip him at the trade deadline for a pick as the Celtics aren’t winning much next year.
They will have max slot cap room next summer.
Schroeder turning down 84 million is one of the worst blunders of alltime.

For 1 year 5.9 million it’s a deal the Celtics or any team has to do. Not using the full 9.5 MLE prevents the Celtics from being hard capped again.
It surpasses the Kemba to Knicks deal as the best non vet minimum value deal.

I would take Schroeder over Kemba now.
Fair, but I just don’t want another kemba like guard.