NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 217 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

New 3-team deal... The Unicorn opted into his contract and still going to Boston (along with Memphis' 25th pick & a top 4 protected pick next year). Marcus Smart to Memphis. Tyus Jones (along with Boston's 35th pick, Danilo Gallinari & Mike Muscala) to Washington.

Middleton declined his player option to become a free agent. Both he and Porzingis has until midnight to decide.

Last edited:
Is this kid tanking an interview to not get drafted by Charlotte or hoping this will secure MJ takes him before selling?
Either way.. I'd take Scoot over Miller.

That trade brought back some familiar feelings from when Miami eliminated the Bucks a couple months ago. I’m so mad that Boston pulled this off. Simply incredible value.

Smart is overrated. I’d rather have Brogdon than him when they are both fully healthy. Thats a great trade for the Celtics assuming they can stay healthy. I suppose this means Brown ultimately stays put.

Seems to me Memphis got fleeced snd celtics dominated that trade.
I'm no NBA expert, but I like it from a Celtics perspective also. I wasn't too excited if the Celts were just going to run it back with essentially the same team next season.

I think Smart is overrated and on the downhill. However I think his relatively team friendly salary made Memphis throw more into the pot. Clearly the Celtics won but Porzingis still needs to prove A)he can stay on the court for a second straight year and B) he can play in about as bright a spot light as their is in the league. I see Brogdon and KP in street clothes more than in uniform.

Smart is overrated. I’d rather have Brogdon than him when they are both fully healthy. Thats a great trade for the Celtics assuming they can stay healthy. I suppose this means Brown ultimately stays put.
Smart was the third best PG on that team. I think Memphis could use someone like him but in general, I think Tyus Jones is a better player too.

The thing about Brogdon is he really just cant stay healthy.

My initial reaction is that Porzingis is the best player in the trade, and the celtics got the draft compensation as well. So clearly, for whatever reason, Smart is valued much more highly than Porzingis. KP was legitimately very good last season.

Smart was the third best PG on that team. I think Memphis could use someone like him but in general, I think Tyus Jones is a better player too.

The one thing about that is I really dont think you can play Morant and Jones together, at least in the playoffs. That backcourt is way too small. I think Jones is more of a bench player, and for whatever you want to say about Smart, he's a guy who has been playing key minutes for years for one of best teams in the league. I dont think Jones is that kind of a player.

I think Smart is overrated and on the downhill. However I think his relatively team friendly salary made Memphis throw more into the pot. Clearly the Celtics won but Porzingis still needs to prove A)he can stay on the court for a second straight year and B) he can play in about as bright a spot light as their is in the league. I see Brogdon and KP in street clothes more than in uniform.
Agree he’s been on the downhill for the last couple years.

Glad we retained Brogdon. He could get a bucket whenever we needed one.

Both played as much as last years MVP and more than Lebron and Steph Curry.

The thing about Brogdon is he really just cant stay healthy.

My initial reaction is that Porzingis is the best player in the trade, and the celtics got the draft compensation as well. So clearly, for whatever reason, Smart is valued much more highly than Porzingis. KP was legitimately very good last season.

The one thing about that is I really dont think you can play Morant and Jones together, at least in the playoffs. That backcourt is way too small. I think Jones is more of a bench player, and for whatever you want to say about Smart, he's a guy who has been playing key minutes for years for one of best teams in the league. I dont think Jones is that kind of a player.
Re: Jones, Memphis pretty much had to move him because they knew for sure he was gone the following off-season as there's no way he was going to return to be Ja's backup. Forking him over along with multiple first round picks for Smart, who I'm not sure is even a better player, is pretty rough. Smart is undoubtedly a better fit for them though.

I'm hoping if the Wizards don't send Tyus to Milwaukee, they keep him for themselves; he deserves a chance to start somewhere and he's at least one player I'd be kinda excited to see when I go to a Wizards game. Could be their long-term PG or could be a trade piece at the deadline this year. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake they did with Porzingis and Kuzma where they just wait for their contracts to end.

Last edited:
IMO, the winner is the Wizards. Winger walked into an awful situation to clean up. It’s a year too late with Wemby off the board this year, but they are busting it down to the studs, but maybe they’ve figured it out. Would assume Kuz still will go, CP3 still to find a final landing spot and Tyus Jones will prob be traded at the deadline.

For Boston, expecting KP to be that healthy again is high risk, but so is potentially losing him after this year. Always thought Smart was overrated and his DPOY was a joke. Issue is they still have Mazz as a coach and this move makes it seem like they are going to pay the Js $600M. Not sure if they’ll get their chip or end up like those Jazz teams with Stockton and Malone. I would guess the latter.

Memphis still has the same issues. Until they can prove otherwise, can they do it in the playoffs.

I think this was a lot of movement for Memphis and Boston that keeps them where they are. At least the Wizards are starting the full rebuild.

Celts won that trade imo gaining KP and 2 picks this year. They're pushing their chips all in.

Grizz need a starting point guard with Ja out for he first 25 games. Smart is still a better option than Jones and can provide some much needed vet leadership in that locker room.

Wiz... well you know. Clean house and restart. Next to go is Kuzma who opted out.

I think Porzingis is being underrated here. He had a great year in Washington this season. He was a much better player than Beal on both sides of the ball, played more games, and will still only be 28 years old at the start of the season.

I think Porzingis is being underrated here. He had a great year in Washington this season. He was a much better player than Beal on both sides of the ball, played more games, and will still only be 28 years old at the start of the season.

This is where I'm at, though I get the counter that when you trade for a not young player coming off his best season, you're taking on some risk. But if he gives them anything close to last year, I think its an easy win

The only real hesitation with Porzingis is health. Otherwise he's a fantastic fantastic fit for Boston and should be a huge upgrade.

I would personally not sign him to an extension (unless it includes non-guaranteed years) right now. Let the season play out and see how he does before committing to him. But this was an insanely great trade for Boston. I'm really pissed lol

The only real hesitation with Porzingis is health. Otherwise he's a fantastic fantastic fit for Boston and should be a huge upgrade.

I would personally not sign him to an extension (unless it includes non-guaranteed years) right now. Let the season play out and see how he does before committing to him. But this was an insanely great trade for Boston. I'm really pissed lol
Can’t believe no one has mentioned Bostons love of having another great white hope on the squad. Especially after the last one didn’t pan out.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Bostons love of having another great white hope on the squad. Especially after the last one didn’t pan out.
Yeah, but they gave up Gallinari and Muscala in the process

Celts won that trade imo gaining KP and 2 picks this year. They're pushing their chips all in.

Grizz need a starting point guard with Ja out for he first 25 games. Smart is still a better option than Jones and can provide some much needed vet leadership in that locker room.

Wiz... well you know. Clean house and restart. Next to go is Kuzma who opted out.
Someone in the Wizards front office must have been drinking heavily.
Give KP away and get practically nothing in return. And after the maybe even worse Beal trade where they got almost nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom