NBC now on the bandwagon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NBC now on the bandwagon

I guess it matters if they said "10 years" or "10 seasons". It's like the 1900's are 1900-1999 but the 20th century is from 1901-2000.

Here's the quote from Mike Waters:

"Syracuse’s game at Arkansas on Friday was just the fifth true non-conference road game outside the state of New York for the Orange in the past 10 years.
And Syracuse won all five of those games.
Syracuse also won at Memphis, Missouri, North Carolina State and Virginia in recent years.
In addition, Syracuse has won neutral-but-not-really games with Kansas in Kansas City, Florida in Tampa and San Diego State in San Diego since the 2008-09 season."

Here's the quote from Mike Waters:

"Syracuse’s game at Arkansas on Friday was just the fifth true non-conference road game outside the state of New York for the Orange in the past 10 years.
And Syracuse won all five of those games.
Syracuse also won at Memphis, Missouri, North Carolina State and Virginia in recent years.
In addition, Syracuse has won neutral-but-not-really games with Kansas in Kansas City, Florida in Tampa and San Diego State in San Diego since the 2008-09 season."
Waters should concentrate on his UNC Tarheels, actually they really suck this year it would be a waste of time.

I no longer care about this topic. It's an annual discussion giving commentators and sports writers something to say and us fans something to complain about with absolutely no affect the team.

Why do some of us have such thin skins? Fact is that we do not play many away OC games and the Garden is a pro Cuse crowd, pretty much a second home. Some teams do extra away games and some don't. We don't. Due to our prominence we get used as the poster child for not traveling. Its not a big deal. Anyone with a brain knows that the Dome is a revenue source and the Big East is (or was) terribly brutal. I would not be surpirsed if we do a bit more traveling when we get sick of being stuck in a N. division of the ACC where there would only be 3 real teams: Pitt, the Irish and the Ville.

Amen to this. Why do we give a stuff what sportswriters and sportscasters say about us? I'm of the show-don't-tell school. I'll let our record do the talking for us.

What about that tourny a few years ago in Kansas where SU beat Kansas in the championship. If they state that MSG is a "home game" then why isn't that considered a home game for Kansas? So that also means that SU has only played a true away game against UConn last year for the 1st time since it wasn't in Hartford.

Kansas plays a big boy schedule. That's why.

Syracuse played Siena the same day as the Diamond Ferri game vs Boston College in 2004. I know because I sold my tickets to the game and watched the football and basketball games on TVs at Jillian's on Pearl Street. Syracuse played UAlbany at the Pepsi Arena either one or two years before that.
You are 100% right. For some reason, I always thought that the UAlbany game was the 2004 game but that was played on 12/2/2001 so Craig Forth actually had two homecoming games.

http://www.orangehoops.org/GameResults/G2001-2002.htm

They can say whatever they want to say it's not going to stop us from going to the Final 4 and likely winning the whole enchilada.

Actually it is the slanted Anti Syracuse reporting that bothers us. We play very similar schedules to every other high major out there, yet we are consistently called out for our schedule. ...

I would do some research into other majors before that claim.

I would do some research into other majors before that claim.

Indiana plays literally zero road games outside the B1G schedule.

Duke plays literally zero road games outside the ACC schedule.

Michigan plays one road game at Bradley of all places.

Ohio State plays one road game at Duke.

Louisville plays two road games, at Charleston and Memphis

Syracuse plays one road game at Arkansas and San Diego State in San Diego.

Florida plays three road games, the most of any team in the top ten. At Florida State, Yale and Arizona.

Kentucky plays two road games, at Notre Dame and Louisville.

Arizona plays two road games, at Texas Tech and Clemson.

Kansas, with their "Big Boy" schedule, plays one road game at Ohio State.

So, Syracuse is regularly insulted for their all home OOC schedule, yet have actually played more road games than half the top10 and fewer than only one, as Florida plays three road games this OOC. Maybe you should do some research yourself before posting.

Indiana plays literally zero road games outside the B1G schedule.

Duke plays literally zero road games outside the ACC schedule.

Michigan plays one road game at Bradley of all places.

Ohio State plays one road game at Duke.

Louisville plays two road games, at Charleston and Memphis

Syracuse plays one road game at Arkansas and San Diego State in San Diego.

Florida plays three road games, the most of any team in the top ten. At Florida State, Yale and Arizona.

Kentucky plays two road games, at Notre Dame and Louisville.

Arizona plays two road games, at Texas Tech and Clemson.

Kansas, with their "Big Boy" schedule, plays one road game at Ohio State.

So, Syracuse is regularly insulted for their all home OOC schedule, yet have actually played more road games than half the top10 and fewer than only one, as Florida plays three road games this OOC. Maybe you should do some research yourself before posting.

Duke plays no non-conference road games this season. They have played 13 of them in the past ten seasons, more than twice as many as Syracuse has played in that span. This was detailed yesterday in another thread.

Syracuse's game in San Diego was not a road game. We have played fewer road games than all of those teams in the past decade, and by a wide margin. I don't know why this is so difficult.

I've done the research. Indiana plays Penn State in State College this year.

Duke plays no non-conference road games this season. They have played 13 of them in the past ten seasons, more than twice as many as Syracuse has played in that span. This was detailed yesterday in another thread.

Syracuse's game in San Diego was not a road game. We have played fewer road games than all of those teams in the past decade, and by a wide margin. I don't know why this is so difficult.

You're still talking about an average of a little over once a year for Duke, versus once every other year for us. But that discounts the "not so neutral" games we've played at Kansas (KC), at Florida (Tampa) and at San Diego State (carrier in SD). Those were partisan crowds that were not in our favor. So that leaves us at just under one per year, and them with just over one per year.

You're still talking about an average of a little over once a year for Duke, versus once every other year for us. But that discounts the "not so neutral" games we've played at Kansas (KC), at Florida (Tampa) and at San Diego State (carrier in SD). Those were partisan crowds that were not in our favor. So that leaves us at just under one per year, and them with just over one per year.

But that's just not true. The Florida and San Diego State games didn't have partisan crowds by any means.

Edit: Even if we do add those games in (which isn't only ridiculous, since they aren't road games, but would also end up with an apples-to-apples comparison, because we aren't adding neutral games to Duke's number of road games), then the count is 13 for Duke and 9 for Syracuse. We've played under 70% as many road or faux-road games as Duke.

I don't know why people want to compare us to Duke or anyone else.

Syracuse University's basketball does not play a lot of road games outside the Big East. Its coach does not want to. From what I understand, our athletic director does not want to. People ought to stop pretending this is not the case.

Whether you play 13 home games and none on the road, or 12 home games and 1 on the road, nobody ever mentions it about other teams besides Syracuse. A huge imbalance in reporting, disproportionate to the evidence at hand. The reporting on Syracuse's lack of road games is as balanced as Fox News.

Whether you play 13 home games and none on the road, or 12 home games and 1 on the road, nobody ever mentions it about other teams besides Syracuse. A huge imbalance in reporting, disproportionate to the evidence at hand. The reporting on Syracuse's lack of road games is as balanced as Fox News.

They aren't comparing us!

They're just stating a fact. Syracuse does not like to play non-conference road games. Why does this offend you so?

The lack of balanced reporting is annoying, and it seems to imply that Syracuse does something that other teams don't. Other teams are lauded for their scheduling in the same breath we are castigated, yet we are playing as many road games as they this season. It is dishonest reporting and thus troubling.

The lack of balanced reporting is annoying, and it seems to imply that Syracuse does something that other teams don't. Other teams are lauded for their scheduling in the same breath we are castigated, yet we are playing as many road games as they this season. It is dishonest reporting and thus troubling.

I dislike dishonest reporting as much as the next guy, but I bet there isn't a major-conference team that has scheduled as few non-conference road games has we have in the last nine seasons.

That's OK. Our coach and AD seem to like it that way. We're in something of a unique situation. Our basketball team brings in a higher percentage of the athletic department's revenue than nearly any other school's hoops team does. We're fine. It would be nice to see a more exciting early-season matchup now and again, but if this is what's best for the athletic department in the eyes of the guys hired to run the place, so be it.

This is so silly. Who cares, why do other's perceptions of your favorite college basketball team bother you? Why should it affect your life?

The thing is, we haven't lost any of these out of conference road games. We also have the best all time road record in Big East play last I checked. Not sure why they're so stuck on this point...it's not like we get exposed on the road and avoid playing these games because of that, and have a "smoke and mirrors" record. It's the opposite...we consistently win on the road, as well as any program. Let them cry, it doesn't affect our 1 seeds anyway.

It would if you had also included Duke's neutral games - which you didn't.

Duke plays a TON of neutral court games against top flight competition every year.

Below is Duke's past 5 seasons of non-conf neutral and OOC road games... I count 20 neutral site OOC games in 5 years plus an additional 9 OOC road games.

That's 29 or almost 6 per year - Versus TOP FLIGHT programs save for the one game against UNC Greensboro in '10-11.

Still think 'Cuse schedules similar to Duke?

DUKES OOC ROAD and NEUTRAL SITE GAMES 2008-2013
2012-13 Neutral Site Games: Louisville, Kentucky, Temple, Minnesota and Davidson
2011-12 Neutral Site Games: Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas, Tennessee, Washington (and @Temple, @St. Johns)
2010-11 Neutral Site Games: Kansas State, Oregon, Butler, Marquette (and @St. Johns, @UNC Greensboro)
2009-10 Neutral Site Games: UCONN, Gonzaga, Iowa St. (and @Georgetown, @Wisconsin)
2008-09 Neutral Site Games: S. Illinois, Michigan, Xavier (and @Purdue, @St. Johns, @Michigan for a 2nd game vs. M)

I like the fact that we don't play many road games. Just from being in the Big East and soon ACC we're going to get plenty of chances to get good wins for the tourney resume, and it's key to get through the OOC with as few losses as possible to help our seeding. It's nice as fans to see our team play in a more interesting game, but in the big picture I think it's better to just rack up some wins against some good/sometimes not so good local teams and not hurt ourselves.

This is a strategy that's gotten us two #3 seeds and two #1 seeds in the last four years

I dislike dishonest reporting as much as the next guy, but I bet there isn't a major-conference team that has scheduled as few non-conference road games has we have in the last nine seasons.

That's OK. Our coach and AD seem to like it that way. We're in something of a unique situation. Our basketball team brings in a higher percentage of the athletic department's revenue than nearly any other school's hoops team does. We're fine. It would be nice to see a more exciting early-season matchup now and again, but if this is what's best for the athletic department in the eyes of the guys hired to run the place, so be it.

too lazy to look it up but back when the football team was pulling more of it's weight did the hoops team have more road games?

too lazy to look it up but back when the football team was pulling more of it's weight did the hoops team have more road games?
You'd likely have to go back to Manley days to find more road games. In the era of the Dome, SU has had the leverage to schedule November & December games at home.

And why not? Good financially, better for our players to travel less as they complete first semester work, better for fans to see the team. Bench players get more opportunities in November-December. You like tough road games? Wait until January.

Downside: we get called out in the media, then we have to read threads trying to turn MSG or other neutral sites into road games.

We did typically have two two-year series against big programs (save for UNLV in the late '90s) going at once. Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona, etc. After we wrapped up the series with Missouri and Michigan State in 2004 we stopped that practice. It's my understanding that basketball had to shoulder a disproportionate share of the burden and the athletic department was looking at the hoops gate and concessions to fill that gap.

No,
It would if you had also included Duke's neutral games - which you didn't.

Duke plays a TON of neutral court games against top flight competition every year.

Below is Duke's past 5 seasons of non-conf neutral and OOC road games... I count 20 neutral site OOC games in 5 years plus an additional 9 OOC road games.

That's 29 or almost 6 per year - Versus TOP FLIGHT programs save for the one game against UNC Greensboro in '10-11.

Still think 'Cuse schedules similar to Duke?

DUKES OOC ROAD and NEUTRAL SITE GAMES 2008-2013
2012-13 Neutral Site Games: Louisville, Kentucky, Temple, Minnesota and Davidson
2011-12 Neutral Site Games: Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas, Tennessee, Washington (and @Temple, @St. Johns)
2010-11 Neutral Site Games: Kansas State, Oregon, Butler, Marquette (and @St. Johns, @UNC Greensboro)
2009-10 Neutral Site Games: UCONN, Gonzaga, Iowa St. (and @Georgetown, @Wisconsin)
2008-09 Neutral Site Games: S. Illinois, Michigan, Xavier (and @Purdue, @St. Johns, @Michigan for a 2nd game vs. M)

No, I'm talking neutral site nearby the opponent's home town. We obviously play several neutral site games that I didn't count for SU either, as part of our preseason tournaments. I'm talking about the one-offs that we play in somebody's backyard.

You'd likely have to go back to Manley days to find more road games. In the era of the Dome, SU has had the leverage to schedule November & December games at home.

And why not? Good financially, better for our players to travel less as they complete first semester work, better for fans to see the team. Bench players get more opportunities in November-December. You like tough road games? Wait until January.

Downside: we get called out in the media, then we have to read threads trying to turn MSG or other neutral sites into road games.

Let's not forget, it's primarily about making money to fund the athletic department. This is how the university makes it money, from attendance and concessions sold at home games. It's not about being afraid to play anyone; it's dollars and sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom