NC State Still Thinks Orlando is Possible | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Still Thinks Orlando is Possible

A couple of things

- Would really be a shame if we go 9-3 and end up in Pinstripe. Basically that tells us unless we win the conference, and get an automatic NY6 tie-in, our ceiling is the Pinstripe. That's not good.

- As far as ticket sales - I wasn't aware NCST travels so well? In fact i'm pretty sure they don't. There are plenty of upstate NY's in Florida for the winter. I bet we would send just as many fans.

- Why wouldn't the Camping World Bowl want a rivalry game? They could market the hell out of SU vs WVU.

- Dino Babers is the hot name. Again, why wouldn't the Camping World Bowl want to capitalize on that?

- Finally, we won the head to head and are the higher ranked team in the CFP. We would have a # next to our name, I do not believe NCST is ranked.

- Does Wildhack have any pull?

- I can't think of any reasons NCST would be picked ahead of us

A couple of things

- Would really be a shame if we go 9-3 and end up in Pinstripe. Basically that tells us unless we win the conference, and get an automatic NY6 tie-in, our ceiling is the Pinstripe. That's not good.

- As far as ticket sales - I wasn't aware NCST travels so well? In fact i'm pretty sure they don't. There are plenty of upstate NY's in Florida for the winter. I bet we would send just as many fans.

- Why wouldn't the Camping World Bowl want a rivalry game? They could market the hell out of SU vs WVU.

- Dino Babers is the hot name. Again, why wouldn't the Camping World Bowl want to capitalize on that?

- Finally, we won the head to head and are the higher ranked team in the CFP. We would have a # next to our name, I do not believe NCST is ranked.

Good ol' boys' (Carolina) network?

All Tier 1 bowls are not equal. The most prestigious one is the Sun Bowl. If we get passed over for NC St then the Sun Bowl will take us. We aren’t Pinstriping it. Considering it is later in the bowl season and is played on a holiday on CBS vs the PAC 12 we should have no complaints about this game...unless your complaint is you bought tix to Orlando already lol.

You do understand that sometimes things are beyond your control? Hopefully he will get us in, but thinking "he better or else he's a failure" is incredibly short sighted.

No he doesn’t

Interesting that our name is now being floated for the Citrus Bowl against Kentucky on New Years Day.

This would allow the Camping World Bowl to select NC State and get Syracuse for a game four days later. I would love to see us in the New Years Day game.

Interesting that our name is now being floated for the Citrus Bowl against Kentucky on New Years Day.

This would allow the Camping World Bowl to select NC State and get Syracuse for a game four days later. I would love to see us in the New Years Day game.

We can’t go to citrus.

Where did you read about the Citrus? That would be awesome

The Sporting News projected us to the Citrus Bowl but I'm pretty sure they made a mistake, as the only time an ACC team can go there is when the Orange is not part of the CFP and the Orange picks a B1G team.

Is the Gator possible? I read that the B1G and ACC alternate facing an SEC team, but I haven't seen us projected there.

There have been a couple of articles here in the Carolinas the Gator might be interested in Miami vs South Carolina, but have not seen any other ACC schools mentioned for there (at least not from sources around here...).
The ACC had GT and Louisville in the Gator Bowl the past two years, so if it's not Miami they may be ready for a B1G team.

Honestly its kind of bizarre that the #2 ACC team (!?!?) gets Camping World and not a bowl where we actually know the location based on it's historic name.

Very strange. I mean...I get it, since this Bowl never had a historic name, but shame we don’t get Orange Bowl this year.

Ironically, I went to a Camping World for the first time this year. Not what I expected! (Granted, I’m ignorant city folk). Fun fact: Marcus Lemonis, of The Profit fame, is the CEO.

The Sporting News projected us to the Citrus Bowl but I'm pretty sure they made a mistake, as the only time an ACC team can go there is when the Orange is not part of the CFP and the Orange picks a B1G team.

Is the Gator possible? I read that the B1G and ACC alternate facing an SEC team, but I haven't seen us projected there.

Yeah the Gator Bowl not being discussed at all is the one that i'm baffled about. It makes no sense why it's Camping/Sun/Pinstripe only for a 9-3 team. Are we 100% out of a NY6 bowl as well? I would think for reasons laid out above, we're one of the 10 most intriguing teams in the country right now

Will all of the NC State All-World superstars be playing in the bowl game or sitting it out for the draft? Might that have an effect on who goes where? You know Dungey is going to play.

Yeah the Gator Bowl not being discussed at all is the one that i'm baffled about. It makes no sense why it's Camping/Sun/Pinstripe only for a 9-3 team. Are we 100% out of a NY6 bowl as well? I would think for reasons laid out above, we're one of the 10 most intriguing teams in the country right now
Louisville played in the Gator Bowl last year - might be related to the ACC being out of the tax slayer bowl picture this year

Music City is still in play IMO.

I 100% believe BC will travel better to Pinstripe than Syracuse this time around, if for no other reason than SU fans were JUST there.

Louisville played in the Gator Bowl last year - might be related to the ACC being out of the tax slayer bowl picture this year
Update: Giglio posted an article in the News-Observer late yesterday where he stepped back a bit from flat out saying NC State was definitely headed to Orlando.

His use of quotes on the word surprise is not very professional and a dead giveaway that he is not happy with the way things are developing. The sentence I highlighted is his first step towards backing down from his initial position.

I admire his willingness to stick his neck out and continue to hold a position no one else in the business agrees with. It is hard for me to understand his not even acknowledging there is a possibility NC State ends up playing in the Belk. Maybe he really has a source that knows more than people at ESPN and the Sentinel. I suppose anything is possible.

When the Orlando Sentinel changed its prediction from NC State to Syracuse yesterday morning, I felt a lot better about Syracuse's chances. Giglio conceding Syracuse might be too attractive pretty much clinches it for me. But I would never under estimate the power of lobbying in this in Southern conference we find ourselves in.

Clemson aside, here’s the latest breakdown on the ACC’s muddled bowl picture

Syracuse (9-3) was a “surprise” on the Atlantic side, emerging after a pair of 4-8 seasons, but even the feel-good story on the Coastal side — your choice Pitt (7-5) or Virginia (7-5) — didn’t exactly close the season with a bang.

That leaves the ACC bowl picture, after Clemson’s playoff spot and ACC title (I mean, the Tigers could lose ... ) muddled.

The Camping World Bowl in Orlando, Fla., gets the first choice after the CFP process. It’s important to note: The Camping World gets to make its choice based on its preference. Bowls care about two things: television appeal and selling tickets. Head-to-head results or ACC record/standing is not a factor. The only criteria the league gives Orlando (and the Tier I pool) is the “one-win” rule (ie a 7-5 team can’t be picked over a 9-3 team but an 8-4 team can).

If Syracuse jumps up in the CFP standings, the Orange might be too attractive pass up. N.C. State (8-3) is still considered the favorite to land in Orlando. The Wolfpack, with one more game with ECU (3-8), would be an interesting option to pair with West Virginia from the Big 12. Those two teams were supposed to meet in Raleigh on Sept. 15 but the game was wiped out by Hurricane Florence.

On paper, a West Virginia-N.C. State matchup would pit two of the top quarterbacks in the country. But there’s a chance WVU’s Will Grier will opt to sit out the bowl game to protect his NFL draft status. N.C. State’s Ryan Finley will have a choice to make on that front as well.

A couple of things

One of the worst traveling schools in the ACC when it comes to the Dome from what I see mulling around before the game and at it.

Update: Giglio posted an article in the News-Observer late yesterday where he stepped back a bit from flat out saying NC State was definitely headed to Orlando.

His use of quotes on the word surprise is not very professional and a dead giveaway that he is not happy with the way things are developing. The sentence I highlighted is his first step towards backing down from his initial position.

I admire his willingness to stick his neck out and continue to hold a position no one else in the business agrees with. It is hard for me to understand his not even acknowledging there is a possibility NC State ends up playing in the Belk. Maybe he really has a source that knows more than people at ESPN and the Sentinel. I suppose anything is possible.

When the Orlando Sentinel changed its prediction from NC State to Syracuse yesterday morning, I felt a lot better about Syracuse's chances. Giglio conceding Syracuse might be too attractive pretty much clinches it for me. But I would never under estimate the power of lobbying in this in Southern conference we find ourselves in.

Syracuse (9-3) was a “surprise” on the Atlantic side, emerging after a pair of 4-8 seasons, but even the feel-good story on the Coastal side — your choice Pitt (7-5) or Virginia (7-5) — didn’t exactly close the season with a bang.

That leaves the ACC bowl picture, after Clemson’s playoff spot and ACC title (I mean, the Tigers could lose ... ) muddled.

The Camping World Bowl in Orlando, Fla., gets the first choice after the CFP process. It’s important to note: The Camping World gets to make its choice based on its preference. Bowls care about two things: television appeal and selling tickets. Head-to-head results or ACC record/standing is not a factor. The only criteria the league gives Orlando (and the Tier I pool) is the “one-win” rule (ie a 7-5 team can’t be picked over a 9-3 team but an 8-4 team can).

If Syracuse jumps up in the CFP standings, the Orange might be too attractive pass up. N.C. State (8-3) is still considered the favorite to land in Orlando. The Wolfpack, with one more game with ECU (3-8), would be an interesting option to pair with West Virginia from the Big 12. Those two teams were supposed to meet in Raleigh on Sept. 15 but the game was wiped out by Hurricane Florence.

On paper, a West Virginia-N.C. State matchup would pit two of the top quarterbacks in the country. But there’s a chance WVU’s Will Grier will opt to sit out the bowl game to protect his NFL draft status. N.C. State’s Ryan Finley will have a choice to make on that front as well.
Giglio’s last paragraph is either lazy or trolling. God I wish Syracuse had a top quarterback

If SU doesn't play ND and had NCS's OOC schedule they would have finished 10-2. If NCS goes then it's obvious the OOC means nothing and it's about your record and the stats you put up/stars.

Honestly its kind of bizarre that the #2 ACC team (!?!?) gets Camping World and not a bowl where we actually know the location based on it's historic name.
Two out of three years we'd be in the Orange. It really sucks that we don't get an auto NY6 bid for our 2nd team every year. Hopefully that will change in the next negotiation. I feel like the ACC is in a stronger position than it was last time.

Not sure how to attach Twitter posts but he had another update this AM. How do we interpret this?

I love a good bowl plot twist. Efforting an update. State fans are going to like this. Waiting for one more source to get back to me
4:25 AM - 27 Nov 2018

The Bowl week of rumors...college footballs version of a sewing circle.

Can Syracuse turn down the Pinstripe for a lower tier Bowl? I rather go just about anywhere else. Let the apinstripe take VA Tech.