NCAA 2nd Round Games for March 20 | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 2nd Round Games for March 20

People always seem to under-estimate the ability of players and teams to improve over the course of a season or between seasons. IMO, that's the best thing about college sports- watching players get better. The college basketball season isn't geared to measure this. Leagues that have a lot of rebuilding teams are graded down in the rankings to open the seasons and may certify those opinions by losing some early games. Then they start playing each other exclusively in games that don't help them in the rankings because they aren't playing ranked teams.

The Big 10 and SEC teams fed off of each other's ratings and their reputations as leagues remained high. The Big 10 is now 8-7 with Purdue down by 1 to Texas as I write this. They may have only Michigan, a 19-14 team, in the Sweet 16. the SEC is 4-5 and only Arkansas will be in the Sweet 16. The Big 12 also had several ranked teams but they've been great, only Baylor losing in OT to UNC in 10 games. They will have 5 sweet 16 teams if Texas and TCU win. The ACC had the low ratings and the poor start but we're 9-2 with 3 of 5 teams in the Sweet 16.

We twice had 18 point leads on Miami, losing by a total of four points, took UNC into overtime and gave Duke all it wanted with two starters out the last time we played them. Like the conference, we got better as the season progressed. I read predictions that we will have our second straight losing season next year but who can know that now?

The issue of whether to root for conference members comes up each year. Obviously you can root for whomever you want. I root for Syracuse first and then root for everyone we've played second because the better they do, the better, or at least the less bad, we look when they win. To me, it's as simple as that. "But what about the hate?" I don't have any hate. there's enough of that in the world.

People always seem to under-estimate the ability of players and teams to improve over the course of a season or between seasons. IMO, that's the best thing about college sports- watching players get better. The college basketball season isn't geared to measure this. Leagues that have a lot of rebuilding teams are graded down in the rankings to open the seasons and may certify those opinions by losing some early games. Then they start playing each other exclusively in games that don't help them in the rankings because they aren't playing ranked teams.

The Big 10 and SEC teams fed off of each other's ratings and their reputations as leagues remained high. The Big 10 is now 8-7 with Purdue down by 1 to Texas as I write this. They may have only Michigan, a 19-14 team, in the Sweet 16. the SEC is 4-5 and only Arkansas will be in the Sweet 16. The Big 12 also had several ranked teams but they've been great, only Baylor losing in OT to UNC in 10 games. They will have 5 sweet 16 teams if Texas and TCU win. The ACC had the low ratings and the poor start but we're 9-2 with 3 of 5 teams in the Sweet 16.

We twice had 18 point leads on Miami, losing by a total of four points, took UNC into overtime and gave Duke all it wanted with two starters out the last time we played them. Like the conference, we got better as the season progressed. I read predictions that we will have our second straight losing season next year but who can know that now?

The issue of whether to root for conference members comes up each year. Obviously you can root for whomever you want. I root for Syracuse first and then root for everyone we've played second because the better they do, the better, or at least the less bad, we look when they win. To me, it's as simple as that. "But what about the hate?" I don't have any hate. there's enough of that in the world.
I think the term hate is a bit overly dramatic. One can root against a team without being filled with hatred.

ACC as usual is as stong as any league post season which is all that matters.

Yes but they were there to see Smith and Kessler. I don't blame Kessler for transferring as he will be a 1st round pick.

Kessler is a bit of a Dinosaur in his game. Not sure he ends up a sure fire first round pick. Right now he is projected end of first round .

ACC as usual is as stong as any league post season which is all that matters.

Yup. Same in CFB.. Any conference could have 5-6 teams ranked throughout the course of the year, but if none of them are CFP contenders - sorry, your conference is trash.

Entering the tournament I was happy with the 10 teams I had gathered to win the national title (mostly at value except for Purdue) earlier in the year.
The top teams I had were:

Arizona 20-1
Baylor 16-1
Auburn 60-1
Purdue 10-1
Tennessee 70-1.

Also had Wisconsin and Iowa at long odds.
And they might all get eliminated this weekend. At least I was hedging on the spread for their opponents.

Go Providence which might be all I have standing by the end of the week.

So many of these games are really close late and then a big time player makes a huge shot, like Ivey just did. And then the next possession it seems like that team really buckles down leading to a turnover or something.

Antonelli is making me laugh in this Texas/Purdue game.

"***** is just playing great defense." As they show a play where Ivey destroys him and hits a three.

"You're going to look at the stat sheet tomorrow on Morton and the box score won't impress you. He has 8 points, 2-2 from three, and 600 steals, but....."

"Trap. Steal. Run and Jump. And then you got to foul."

Wow didn't catch the whole game but Purdue shot 46 free throws and 40 before late game fouling.

Is this Arizona team comprised of a bunch of theatrical students Or future models? So much mugging, posing. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Not to mention for a team that somehow came out of huge ordeal around recruiting.

Man, can’t beat winning March madness games. Funny to think just last year we were beating West Virginia en route.

Looking at the regions:

West is fully intact and stacked: Gonzaga vs Arkansas, Duke vs Texas Tech

East is wide open with the two top seeds out: UNC vs UCLA, Purdue vs St Peters

Midwest will have at least a 10 seed in the Elite 8 : Kansas vs Providence, Miami vs Iowa St

South* - Arizona vs Houston, Michigan vs Villanova

* Assuming Zona wins

My God why do they keep running Avery Johnson out to call these games. Immediate mute for me.

Cory Alexander or Avery Johnson?
Who do you pick?

That #4 kid for TCU is one weird looking dude. Offensive lineman up top with Wide receiver legs. The wild hair is the perfect complement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom