NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

In the Association’s continuing efforts to support college athletes, the NCAA’s top governing board voted unanimously to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model.

NCAA folds quicker than a cheap suit.
Good now sell every college football player's likeness for a royalty in a new NCAA football game.
Every D-1 scholarship football player would get a piece of that.
I'm in favor of player compensation so I'm happy they reversed their position. Better than refusing change just because it's hard to admit a mistake.

I’ll wait for the details and how it will be managed. But I’m calling it right now, “opening a can of worms”.
Well that depends on the NCAA not royally screwing up the implementation of something that should be, in their words, "transparent, focused and enforceable".

The concept of amateurism for revenue sports is a joke at the D1 level. And so is the NCAA for that matter.

Well that depends on the NCAA not royally screwing up the implementation of something that should be, in their words, "transparent, focused and enforceable".

The concept of amateurism for revenue sports is a joke at the D1 level. And so is the NCAA for that matter.

so since an athlete can now get paid there won’t be a need for them getting full scholarships plus cost of attendance and meal money? Just academic scholarships if deserving.

so since an athlete can now get paid there won’t be a need for them getting full scholarships plus cost of attendance and meal money? Just academic scholarships if deserving.
Is a scholarship money? How much is it worth? Who determines its worth? Why can an academic on full scholarship for, say music, perform for money?

I mean none of these arguments are new, I know you've seen them before so don't play ignorant.

The company scrip and store is long gone, it's about time revenue athletics acknowledge what kind of racket they are running.

Is a scholarship money? How much is it worth? Who determines its worth? Why can an academic on full scholarship for, say music, perform for money?

I mean none of these arguments are new, I know you've seen them before so don't play ignorant.

The company scrip and store is long gone, it's about time revenue athletics acknowledge what kind of racket they are running.

I’ve seen all the arguments. You want to make things equal to the non athlete student. The NCAA even says that.

yep. My biggest issue with all this is that it now legalizes, legitimizes, makes it ok, whatever word you want to use, for a schools boosters, friends, etc to buy players for said school. Hopefully weitsmans basketball academy was a premonition.

I just brought this up with Chris Carlson on Twitter. He’s a big proponent of athletes getting paid. I used an example of Weitsman giving money to, say, Manny’s to pay athletes for t-shirts sold with their name and number. There’d be no limit. And it wouldn’t matter how many T-shirts were sold.

I'm still trying to understand how they're going to prevent even larger-scale corporate/booster-related recruiting, where the money is what 'guides' the best players to certain schools.

If a player can sign an endorsement deal, wouldn't the paying company have every incentive to ensure that kid goes to a school with maximum exposure? Alongside it's roster of other signees?

What am i missing? Honest question. I feel totally naive.

I totally get the problem of companies (apparel merchandisers, video game companies, etc.) using college kids' names in/on their products. For that, there should have been a fund, and monies disbursed evenly, regardless of a player's prominence or school. But, individual contracts?

I just brought this up with Chris Carlson on Twitter. He’s a big proponent of athletes getting paid. I used an example of Weitsman giving money to, say, Manny’s to pay athletes for t-shirts sold with their name and number. There’d be no limit. And it wouldn’t matter how many T-shirts were sold.
That's fine.

yep. My biggest issue with all this is that it now legalizes, legitimizes, makes it ok, whatever word you want to use, for a schools boosters, friends, etc to buy players for said school. Hopefully weitsmans basketball academy was a premonition.
I'm totally cool if boosters want to spend their own money to get talent at their Alma mater. I'd spend my bucks on different stuff but whatever- it's theirs to use how they please. The athletes get:

• Scholarship from the school - which get increased revenue/publicity
  • Money/perks from endorsements - which get increased sales/publicity
  • Money/high priced toys from boosters - which get to watch their school win

Sounds like a win-win to me

As opposed to everything happening under the table through shady intermediaries and having to play compliance games?

Oh no, Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, Clemson, etc are going to get all the good players.

As opposed to everything happening under the table through shady intermediaries and having to play compliance games?

Oh no, Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, Clemson, etc are going to get all the good players.

Crap. Duke basketball is going to be good again.