NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

As opposed to everything happening under the table through shady intermediaries and having to play compliance games?

Oh no, Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, Clemson, etc are going to get all the good players.

Well, yeah. College athletics is a joke. But ticket prices will increase and schools will seek more from donors.

Yeah, no problem. Let’s just pay DeVito 200k for a few T-shirts sold at Manny’s. You can’t see how this would get out of hand?

You're going to have to find people okay with giving a nonsensical amount of money to these athletes.

Making up a number in a made up scenario is just pointless.

What if it was 5 grand? Is that okay? The market will dictate what the price is.

I'm still trying to understand how they're going to prevent even larger-scale corporate/booster-related recruiting, where the money is what 'guides' the best players to certain schools.

If a player can sign an endorsement deal, wouldn't the paying company have every incentive to ensure that kid goes to a school with maximum exposure? Alongside it's roster of other signees?

What am i missing? Honest question. I feel totally naive.

I totally get the problem of companies (apparel merchandisers, video game companies, etc.) using college kids' names in/on their products. For that, there should have been a fund, and monies disbursed evenly, regardless of a player's prominence or school. But, individual contracts?
As opposed to now? I mean 99 out of the top 100 recruits are getting paid in some way shape or form. Recruits talking about schools showing them love during recruiting isn't about feelings.

The problem is that pro basketball and football teams have, over time, turned colleges into their minor league system and the NCAA/Schools were super-happy to play along because they got PAID. Now they're in a tough spot because what they're selling is worth far more but they can't publicly admit that the athletes are the employees and the NFL and NBA don't care about what a pain in the ass it is for universities to operate professional sports franchises.

You're going to have to find people okay with giving a nonsensical amount of money to these athletes.

What if it was 5 grand? Is that okay? The market will dictate what the price is.

Nah. That’s too logical. Once you completely open this up, you won’t be able to regulate the amount. It’s an open market.

Yeah, no problem. Let’s just pay DeVito 200k for a few T-shirts sold at Manny’s. You can’t see how this would get out of hand?
I don't consider it out of hand.

I'm fact, I consider it a positive.

There’s no salary cap on how much a professional coach is paid.

I don't care about professional sports. I worked in college athletics. The amount of money admins would make is sickening

I don't consider it out of hand.

I'm fact, I consider it a positive.

I get it. On the surface, it seems like the right thing to do. College athletes should be compensated for their name and likeness. But it’s not going to be easy and there’s going to be problems implementing it.

I don't care about professional sports. I worked in college athletics. The amount of money admins would make is sickening

Oh, okay. Just pay college athletes like pros. Maybe not the same. But nothing to prevent, say, Trevor Lawrence from making a million a year. That’s where this is headed, so just stop the charade.

As opposed to everything happening under the table through shady intermediaries and having to play compliance games?

Oh no, Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, Clemson, etc are going to get all the good players.

yea that’s the ticket. fight corruption by making it legal.

it’ll be the worst in b-ball. Booster money will be king.

How's the alternative working out?

There's corruption for a reason. Turn on the lights.

the alternative is working out too well because people let it happen. But fighting crime with making it ok is the last thing to do. Always. Can’t wait for the day we lose an IJ because an SU booster offered him $100k and some up booster offered him $250k. Money will be king. Not the school, not the coach, not the program, but booster money.

I am against anyone being limited on the amount of money someone wants to pay them. It was a sarcastic response lol. Someone wants to pay Trevor Lawrence $500 or $50M - I am all for it

im all for players being paid. JB is all for players being paid. But this is NOT the way to do it. People think it’s bad now with some players getting “bags”. It’s only going to get worse. Sure hope we have some boosters with open wallets.

So, if a school uses an athlete's image on the website, billboard, etc. and the school sells tickets, then the athlete should be compensated under the new rules for use of their image and likeness.

As opposed to now? I mean 99 out of the top 100 recruits are getting paid in some way shape or form. Recruits talking about schools showing them love during recruiting isn't about feelings.

The problem is that pro basketball and football teams have, over time, turned colleges into their minor league system and the NCAA/Schools were super-happy to play along because they got PAID. Now they're in a tough spot because what they're selling is worth far more but they can't publicly admit that the athletes are the employees and the NFL and NBA don't care about what a pain in the ass it is for universities to operate professional sports franchises.

the schools aren’t going to pay the players anything that’s going to make a difference. Rich boosters are.

So, if a school uses an athlete's image on the website, billboard, etc. and the school sells tickets, then the athlete should be compensated under the new rules for use of their image and likeness.

that will be pennies compared to what boosters will do.

that will be pennies compared to what boosters will do.
I know. But I can see the schools justifying paying the athletes directly from revenue or indirectly through boosters. I think they would have a winning argument if challenged. I think the slope is certainly slippery