NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

As opposed to now? I mean 99 out of the top 100 recruits are getting paid in some way shape or form. Recruits talking about schools showing them love during recruiting isn't about feelings.

The problem is that pro basketball and football teams have, over time, turned colleges into their minor league system and the NCAA/Schools were super-happy to play along because they got PAID. Now they're in a tough spot because what they're selling is worth far more but they can't publicly admit that the athletes are the employees and the NFL and NBA don't care about what a pain in the ass it is for universities to operate professional sports franchises.
That’s like saying there should be no speed limits because most people drive faster than that. Or that drugs should be legal because it’s hard to enforce the laws.

The ncaa needed to take hard, significantly punitive action against violators in the past. Doing away with the rules now only creates a larger problem than enforcing the old ones.

Shoe companies have been doing this for years and all the people complaining are the people who moan about us not being able to compete for Duke/UNC/UK for basketball recruits yet still have no problem watching Zion and refuse to admit that the reason schools can’t compete with them is because they have their head in the sand they they are allowed to cheat. Maybe now someone like Weitsman will step in and outbid them.

I was sick of the corruption as anyone, but no blue bloods ever got penalized for it. What’s the point of having rules you don’t enforce?. Typical of everything in this country.

Last edited:
That’s like saying there should be no speed limits because most people drive faster than that. Or that drugs should be legal because it’s hard to enforce the laws.
It's always been selective enforcement of unknown laws. This lets everyone know what the laws are.

Beyond that, athletes are generating income that vastly exceeds their nominal compensation, which encourages a black market.

talking scale here. Personally I don’t think “bags” are as big a thing as others do.

Did you forget the entire shoe company investigation that just happened????

Did you forget the entire shoe company investigation that just happened????

no i didn’t but some schools are hopefully going to get punished as they should. And I think boosters being involved is going to be even worse by magnitudes.

no i didn’t but some schools are hopefully going to get punished as they should. And I think boosters being involved is going to be even worse by magnitudes.

But honestly - what do you think is going to happen?

Wouldn't this just spread the wealth out more. Duke got what... 1,2,3 and 6 a couple years ago for top recruits?

Are they going to get 1-5 in this new model?

Maybe there's bigger boosters elsewhere. Maybe Wake gets someone

It's always been selective enforcement of unknown laws. This lets everyone know what the laws are.

Beyond that, athletes are generating income that vastly exceeds their nominal compensation, which encourages a black market.

They won't be generating income in this model...they will be receiving vanity money from those who like this stuff too much.

The concern isn't the money the school makes off the NCAA, gate, TV etc which makes sense...its people washing payments through entities to buy kids and their family, etc off.

They won't be generating income in this model...they will be receiving vanity money from those who like this stuff too much.

The concern isn't the money the school makes off the NCAA, gate, TV etc which makes sense...its people washing payments through entities to buy kids and their family, etc off.

Adidas and Nike already do this. Nothing is going to change. Markets correct themselves or so I’ve been told.

the alternative is working out too well because people let it happen. But fighting crime with making it ok is the last thing to do. Always. Can’t wait for the day we lose an IJ because an SU booster offered him $100k and some up booster offered him $250k. Money will be king. Not the school, not the coach, not the program, but booster money.
Exactly. Harvard will win the NCAA tournament.

This will not end well. Knee-jerk reaction to the CA law without enough thought put into it. IMO.

The investment being known for boosters will make life worse for players as well. Transparency will be bad

You mean what the coaches do right now?

Shoe companies have been doing this for years and all the people complaining are the people who moan about us not being able to compete for Duke/UNC/UK for basketball recruits yet still have no problem watching Zion and refuse to admit that the reason schools can’t compete with them is because they have their head in the sand they they are allowed to cheat. Maybe now someone like Weitsman will step in and outbid them.

I was sick of the corruption as anyone, but no blue bloods ever got penalized for it. What’s the point of having rules you don’t enforce. Typical of everything in this country.

No one cares when we get a recruit over Butler because we have better “facilities”

So does this help with our recruiting? God I hope so.

Does anyone have real data why they are against this?. I mean at one point kids couldn’t even work at Burger King and regular college students could. Ridiculous.

Our program is top 10 by revenue in a bad year the idea that fair market value would be bad for SU is factually inaccurate.

My takeaway from this thread is this is bad because players will make money and Syracuse might not get the best recruits.

Seems super reasonable

Yeah, probably. This is most likely a scenario where the rich get richer. Hard to imagine, I know.

1572385987517.png

Yeah, probably. This is most likely a scenario where the rich get richer. Hard to imagine, I know.

This is all people on your side say without any specific data points.