NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

Yeah, probably. This is most likely a scenario where the rich get richer. Hard to imagine, I know.

Yep.

I must have missed your posts in the UConn thread where we’ve mocked them for 5 years for not being a P5 school saying how unfair it is

My takeaway from this thread is this is bad because players will make money and Syracuse might not get the best recruits.

Seems super reasonable

mid that’s what you think then you’re not paying attention. Many people including me want players to get paid more although things have been improved a lot the past few years with both the cost of attendance and food money. They need to make it even better but this is one slippery slope.

So does this help with our recruiting? God I hope so.

depends on how deep pockets are and the willingness to partake in the player lottery.

Does anyone have real data why they are against this?. I mean at one point kids couldn’t even work at Burger King and regular college students could. Ridiculous.

Is that how it is now? I’d you want them to be regular students, make aid academic or need only. No athletic scholarships.

Our program is top 10 by revenue in a bad year the idea that fair market value would be bad for SU is factually inaccurate.

that has nothing to do with booster access and money.

This is all people on your side say without any specific data points.

the data point is the evidence that some players have been paid to attend a school. That becomes legal now and will now sky rocket. If you don’t think so then you haven’t been paying attention to what’s been going on.

the data point is the evidence that some players have been paid to attend a school. That becomes legal now and will now sky rocket. If you don’t think so then you haven’t been paying attention to what’s been going on.

I have. I could just as easy say that about anyone who thinks the NCAA is going to hold schools accountable for cheating.

that has nothing to do with booster access and money.
Agreed! We want to create system to get money into the players hands and we have one its called a free market economy with contacts and terms and conditions. How could gambling on the players performances be legal but paying them not! Very dangerous and very very bad!

Last edited:
"A manner consistent with the collegiate model". Can anyone explain this?

This is a grey area for me as I do not believe we have athletic scholarships here in Canada. I think it's probably a good thing for the athletes and was inevitable. However, I do not see this benefiting SU given what I believe is a "small" market in Central New York. If a "top student athlete" can make five times more from endorsements in a bigger market then why would they choose us. Hey, we aren't getting the top dog recruits now so it probably will have little effect on us. I stand to be corrected.

Exactly. Harvard will win the NCAA tournament.

This will not end well. Knee-jerk reaction to the CA law without enough thought put into it. IMO.
Not end well for who? Because if a kid from an underprivileged background gets an opportunity to get a degree from Harvard, win a national championship and get paid while doing it that sounds like a pretty great outcome for young student athletes all over the country.

It's always been selective enforcement of unknown laws. This lets everyone know what the laws are.

Beyond that, athletes are generating income that vastly exceeds their nominal compensation, which encourages a black market.
I don't know what that means, if it's accurate, how to measure it, or how—if it's true—this measure ensures competitive balance or compensates athletes fairly.

Are all athletes supposed to be compensated equally? Evaluated per team? Per season? Per performance? All players on the same team are to be compensated equally? Does it not factor in that a (more) profitable sport makes up for the expenses of less profitable sports? If Elijah Hughes works X hours for his sport and Becky J works X+100 hours for the fencing team, but accounts for close to zero revenue, and the basketball team's revenues subsidize the fencing team's operations, how is compensation determined? Does the amount of compensation fluctuate with team accomplishments? Get further in the tournaments, and you make more money? If it's all about revenues generated by players, shouldn't that matter? How do you ensure a school with more sports, higher enrollment, better tv contracts can't just sign all the best players? Or that a school doesn't cancel 'lesser sports' so that they can afford better players for the 'premier' teams?

College costs 40,000/year. How is that "nominal compensation?" Kinda difficult to find many 18 year olds making 40k/year. I can't consider that "nomimal."

My perspective is that this is college. College, almost by definition, is a preparatory experience. Preparation for a professional career. Same for everyone. Players 'study,' build their professional values and earn the exposure in college that launches them into professional careers. The fact that they exploit the 'machine' of college athletics toward that eventual goal shouldn't invalidate the role of that machine, and even if you consider the school/ncaa to be an 'employer' of sorts, since it makes money is no reason to obligate 'profit sharing.' Most employees do not have profit sharing.

I get it—the current system is broken because violations are not enforced often or stringently enough. But, that's the problem—the need to fix what exists—not the structure itself.

I don't know what that means, if it's accurate, how to measure it, or how—if it's true—this measure ensures competitive balance or compensates athletes fairly.

Are all athletes supposed to be compensated equally? Evaluated per team? Per season? Per performance? All players on the same team are to be compensated equally? Does it not factor in that a (more) profitable sport makes up for the expenses of less profitable sports? If Elijah Hughes works X hours for his sport and Becky J works X+100 hours for the fencing team, but accounts for close to zero revenue, and the basketball team's revenues subsidize the fencing team's operations, how is compensation determined? Does the amount of compensation fluctuate with team accomplishments? Get further in the tournaments, and you make more money? If it's all about revenues generated by players, shouldn't that matter? How do you ensure a school with more sports, higher enrollment, better tv contracts can't just sign all the best players? Or that a school doesn't cancel 'lesser sports' so that they can afford better players for the 'premier' teams?

College costs 40,000/year. How is that "nominal compensation?" Kinda difficult to find many 18 year olds making 40k/year. I can't consider that "nomimal."

My perspective is that this is college. College, almost by definition, is a preparatory experience. Preparation for a professional career. Same for everyone. Players 'study,' build their professional values and earn the exposure in college that launches them into professional careers. The fact that they exploit the 'machine' of college athletics toward that eventual goal shouldn't invalidate the role of that machine, and even if you consider the school/ncaa to be an 'employer' of sorts, since it makes money is no reason to obligate 'profit sharing.' Most employees do not have profit sharing.

I get it—the current system is broken because violations are not enforced often or stringently enough. But, that's the problem—the need to fix what exists—not the structure itself.
Yes they are students. But if others (not just schools, video game and shoe companies) can make money off of them, they should be able to profit as well . Determining how much is easy. Let the company that wants their endorsement decide.

Yes they are students. But if others (not just schools, video game and shoe companies) can make money off of them, they should be able to profit as well . Determining how much is easy. Let the company that wants their endorsement decide.
That's only one (small) part of the equation. And even then, if we take this small item to examine, how does that work? Let's say a video game company wants to produce NCAA 2021. Who's negotiating the rights/licensing fees? The NCAA? Each player? If players are involved, agents are involved. What if some players decline, because, maybe, they're not going to be paid what they think they're worth or what another player is getting? And, again, how does this not inspire megacorps to engineer superteams? Adidas wants to put together seven top 20 kids to 'virtually guarantee' a national championship, wearing adidas gear? Why wouldn't a school effectively partner with a company? Oregon + Nike? Maryland + Underarmour?

A year or two in college costs whatever the college wants to say it costs. Most students don't pay full freight at private schools. Tuition can be heavily discounted for many reasons including trying to meet incoming class sizes. There is a published tuition rate and then there is an actual tuition cost.

In any event, receiving a scholarship isn't money and it's actual worth is highly variable. Maybe Jim Boeheim can be paid in scholarships. No one in their right mind is going to their boss at the widget factory tomorrow and telling them that they want to paid in widgets.
Jim Boeheim isn't getting booster money washed through Manny's signing hats.
Well, he;s getting booster money. Or is he not being paid for his appearances on commercials? Also, he's being paid directly for his labor. Like everyone should in a modern free market economy.

A year or two in college costs whatever the college wants to say it costs. Most students don't pay full freight at private schools. Tuition can be heavily discounted for many reasons including trying to meet incoming class sizes. There is a published tuition rate and then there is an actual tuition cost.

In any event, receiving a scholarship isn't money and it's actual worth is highly variable. Maybe Jim Boeheim can be paid in scholarships. No one in their right mind is going to their boss at the widget factory tomorrow and telling them that they want to paid in widgets.

Well, he;s getting booster money. Or is he not being paid for his appearances on commercials? Also, he's being paid directly for his labor. Like everyone should in a modern free market economy.

He gets paid by the school, and by Nike.

Weitsman types aren't funneling him money to stay at SU.

If this runs through the schools then fine. The objection is the broad stroke paid for likeness thing.

That's only one (small) part of the equation. And even then, if we take this small item to examine, how does that work? Let's say a video game company wants to produce NCAA 2021. Who's negotiating the rights/licensing fees? The NCAA? Each player? If players are involved, agents are involved. What if some players decline, because, maybe, they're not going to be paid what they think they're worth or what another player is getting? And, again, how does this not inspire megacorps to engineer superteams? Adidas wants to put together seven top 20 kids to 'virtually guarantee' a national championship, wearing adidas gear? Why wouldn't a school effectively partner with a company? Oregon + Nike? Maryland + Underarmour?

Yes, that part would be more complex, but I believe it could be worked out. I don't think it's fair to the players to say "it's too complicated, so nobody gets anything." How do video games work at the NBA level? I'm seriously asking, I don't know. Does all the money go to the NBA with the players getting nothing or does each player get a small royalty?

As for corporations partnering with schools...I'm fine with it. I'm not 100 % convinced it will disrupt parity as much as everyone thinks, but even if it does, I'd rather the players get what they're entitled to.

Nike and Adidas certainly were acting in a similar manner with the cases the FBI handled

And they were committing a crime. If they fund the AD and it goes that way at least it's above board.

I'm where JB is in his presser from last night.

And they were committing a crime. If they fund the AD and it goes that way at least it's above board.

I'm where JB is in his presser from last night.

They were committing the crime because it was against NCAA rules to pay them directly. If Nike can pay Ayton directly like they do Boeheim, what’s the problem

They were committing the crime because it was against NCAA rules to pay them directly. If Nike can pay Ayton directly like they do Boeheim, what’s the problem

Nike can then place kids in markets for a million different reasons that benefit Nike. Which trump the school, coaches, etc.

IF that's what happens so be it. The game has been getting constantly worse anyway.

Nike can then place kids in markets for a million different reasons that benefit Nike. Which trump the school, coaches, etc.

IF that's what happens so be it. The game has been getting constantly worse anyway.

Kenny Anderson? Julius Hodge?

How is this new? This has been happening for 30 plus years now.

The NCAA resistance/stubbornness to recognize that change was coming results in this...imperfect, rushed legislation/rules that probably does open up some floodgates. Blame the schools they are the bosses of the NCAA and they missed the wave of change and let the worst thing happen, for the government to get involved.

So does the G League fold once players see they can earn some good coin with greater exposure playing NCAA P5 ball? They don't really attend class anyway, let's be real.

I really wish this was just limited to men's basketball because that is where 90% of the problem lies. Likeness I assume means the player gets a % of the school merchandise profits that use their jersey. At first I thought this MUST be capped to a certain amount or else only the schools with the biggest fanbases and highest merchandise sales will get all the players. But that's pretty much how the system is now anyway. And then I thought about a place like Duke that has 10 McD AAs on the roster. If a player wants to be in the spotlight so they can reap % merchandise sales, going to a school where there's immediate playing time suddenly has more appeal. Jordan Tucker will never have a jersey for sale in a Duke bookstore. Now if he were at SU...

I think this helps SU in hoops and hurts us in football.