NCAA investigating Arizona / Sean Miller | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigating Arizona / Sean Miller

With all this stuff swirling around the UA program, how in the H*** do they still have the #1 recruiting class?

I spend a lot of time in Tucson. It's a beautiful place. But it has 3% African American population. They haven't won an NC in over 20 years. And the Pac 12 is a train wreck. What gives?
coaches lie to assure kids & their parents that they've done nothing wrong and anyway the ncaa moves slowly & they will be in the nba before any sanctions come down

coaches lie to assure kids & their parents that they've done nothing wrong and anyway the ncaa moves slowly & they will be in the nba before any sanctions come down
Your second point is salient. If you are recruiting one-and-dones (and many [most?] kids think they are), you can honestly tell them that there's a good chance that they will be gone to the pros before it hits the fan.

maybe there is a reason besides the sanctions and Hopkins leaving that our recruiting has suffered recently: we aren't on that list of cheaters, and when you see the classes these cheaters are pulling in (Arizona, USC etc) it explains a lot

Funny that the Yahoo article listing schools above doesn’t include Miami at all.
I know. I don't know how that could be since I distinctly remember at least one article that mentioned Larranaga was involved because it was discussed both here and on our board. We're mentioned because we were recruiting Quinerly(?) and we're unbelievably glad he went somewhere else.

maybe there is a reason besides the sanctions and Hopkins leaving that our recruiting has suffered recently: we aren't on that list of cheaters, and when you see the classes these cheaters are pulling in (Arizona, USC etc) it explains a lot

Why / how is zona in "the club"??

Must make AZ fans feel a great sense of relief. He’s being disciplined, but it’s not related to their felon former coach Book Richardson or the ongoing NCAA investigation.

Wait, that means there is something more going on there?

Must make AZ fans feel a great sense of relief, he’s being disciplined, but it’s not related to their felon former coach Book Richardson or the ongoing NCAA investigation. Wait, that means there is something more going on there?

...or maybe he's the fall guy.

Why is their roster so crappy? Did a couple guys get hurt or something. I looked at a box score to see who they had and there key guys are transfers from Samford. Pitt, UNC Ashville.

Why is their roster so crappy? Did a couple guys get hurt or something. I looked at a box score to see who they had and there key guys are transfers from Samford. Pitt, UNC Ashville.

They lost Quinnerly to Nova and Shaq’s son to UCLA after the accusations came out. Unfortunately Shaq’s son had heart surgery and is out until next year.

They had to get grad transfers to fill the roster

Wow - this is an impressive list. In terms of enforcement, I almost worry it is too many schools. How are they going to have the resources to investigate it all? If all our guilty, it will damage college basketball, is the NCAA going to go that far? If it were a handful of schools that were the most egregious offenders, then they could focus more on those. And it would be realistic to sacrifice a couple of programs for the sake of teh sport. I'll nominate Duke and Kentucky as those schools :)
Well, UNC and Duke won't be investigated.

This guy is such an arrogant__$%_$_^__!

The next two questions should have been:

Could you please tell the taxpayers of Arizona how much of their money you spent on recruits?

And

What's your preference: orange or black and white striped jumpsuit?

Asking the Tough Questions (But Not Getting and Answer)
This not a defense of Sean Miller, but the answer to this question for Miller and every other coach at a state school is $0.00 State money does not fund athletics. There are laws against that. Using state money is a very quick way for the athletic department people and the academics to end up in jail. And for Miller, there would be less than zero sympathy from the Arizona State and Northern Arizona alums in their government.

This not a defense of Sean Miller, but the answer to this question for Miller and every other coach at a state school is $0.00 State money does not fund athletics. There are laws against that. Using state money is a very quick way for the athletic department people and the academics to end up in jail. And for Miller, there would be less than zero sympathy from the Arizona State and Northern Arizona alums in their government.

I have a feeling this is factually incorrect and is highly dependent on how you spin the numbers. Don’t state universities subsidize their athletic departments. If so, isn’t that public money that was given to the school that was then given to the athletic department? Does a middle man make the answer to the question $0.00? I say no.

Hmm, i don't know about that. The money may come from different pools, but there are examples of state universities using general funds to pay for athletic expenses. How else would programs run annual deficits year after year (Rutgers, UConn, etc)? In the end it's all fungible and up to the ethics of the people in charge, really, regardless of what an audit may show or what you can prove in court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom