NCAA investigating Arizona / Sean Miller | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigating Arizona / Sean Miller

I have a feeling this is factually incorrect and is highly dependent on how you spin the numbers. Don’t state universities subsidize their athletic departments.

Yeah, but usually through student fees. It's not coming out of the state budget.

Yeah, but usually through student fees. It's not coming out of the state budget.

I am not expert but isnt that a way of just earmarking money? For example, if the state gives a university some funding and then the school also takes money from tuition, isnt that all revenue in a sense. Is there an argument that these “student fees” could be used to lessen the amount of state funding needed. At the end of the day, its one pot.

A majority of schools AD do not turn a profit. That includes many public schools. I know accounting tricks are in play but the AD are somehow operating in perpetuity while incurring annual losses (allegedly) but without raising capital either, as a private company would. So how does that work?

Miller came under fire in 2018 after an ESPN report claimed he "discussed paying $100,000" in exchange for Deandre Ayton's commitment to the program.

Can't they just say a non-athlete was also paid $.01 so it's all good, aka the UNC defense?

I am not expert but isnt that a way of just earmarking money? For example, if the state gives a university some funding and then the school also takes money from tuition, isnt that all revenue in a sense. Is there an argument that these “student fees” could be used to lessen the amount of state funding needed. At the end of the day, its one pot.

A majority of schools AD do not turn a profit. That includes many public schools. I know accounting tricks are in play but the AD are somehow operating in perpetuity while incurring annual losses (allegedly) but without raising capital either, as a private company would. So how does that work?
Para 1 - The argument is really over having state tax money going toward athletics. I can tell you in VA the only tax money that went to support athletics that I have been able to determine was that the state built VMI's indoor practice facility because it was declared the "Corps Physical Training Facility". (My in-laws live in Lexington and couldn't understand why it was so big. They were flabbergasted when I explained to them what it really was.) Student activity fees are collected in addition to tuition. It is not "one pot", and I imagine that's because there are 1 District and 50 state laws that mandate that it not be "one pot". A large portion of it at UVa goes toward the athletic department. In "exchange" for that, all students are admitted free to all home regular season games in all sports. (For basketball crowd control, they have to have a ticket as well as their ID card, but the ticket is free despite the "hoops" they have to jump through to get them; I think there's some sort of lottery now.) Supposedly, the amount from student fees at UVa is one of the largest in college sports. That fee covers other things as well, like club sports and other interest clubs, like it does at any other school that has one.

State funding - Student Activity Fees do not pay for the academic side of any state school anywhere. They are separate on your bill from tuition. UVa receives only 7% of its budget as a line item from the state's budget passed by the legislature. I think it goes toward stuff like the state's portion of the professors' salaries (which is next to nothing compared to what some of them are paid, especially the MDs). It's like Nick Saban. He gets something like $100K as a line item in the Bama budget funded by state tax money but he is paid $7MM, with the rest coming from the boosters. The other 93% of UVa's budget comes from donations, the endowment (which is just about the largest for a school outside Texas; UT and aTm receive state oil extraction taxes as part of their endowments), research income, etc. VPI is down to about 65% of its budget; it was much, much higher before the 2009 economic recession. Some years ago at one of my reunions, the then-president said that if Medicaid money to the hospitals was included in the totals, Wake Forest (which was a religious school at that time) received more money from the state of NC than UVa received from the state of VA. This is a big, big bone of contention for a lot of alums. It is one of the arguments we (notice I said "we") make toward having the same relationship with VA that Cornell has with NY.

Para 2 - They are raising at least some capital. Admission fees, media rights money, and donations to the booster club are the biggest components to their annual income.

This not a defense of Sean Miller, but the answer to this question for Miller and every other coach at a state school is $0.00 State money does not fund athletics. There are laws against that. Using state money is a very quick way for the athletic department people and the academics to end up in jail. And for Miller, there would be less than zero sympathy from the Arizona State and Northern Arizona alums in their government.
Exactly. These programs are not paying players from their own coffers! The money is coming from shoe companies, agents and boosters. I really have to question the smarts of the people suggesting otherwise.

It is with out deepest apologies for any harm to Coach Miller coach Book and the great University of Arizona that we now fully exonerate them as we have determined that they were among the first universities to openly recognize and reward the fair market value of college athletes. That was not improper behavior for which they should be punished. Instead, they should be applauded for their foresight and bravery.
There will be no discipline, as they have all been punished enough. Our only regret is that these scurrilous allegations were ever brought to light or given any credence in the first place.

Fj9BaunX0AIfkd_

LMAO. Since the NCAA and the infractions committee are made up of college administrators, I’d love to ask Kent or John what the deal is with letting all these crooks off so easily. Neither is on the infractions committee but their counterparts are. They should have some insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom