NCAA Men's Rules Committee Meeting Set to Vote Friday in Rule-Change Year | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Men's Rules Committee Meeting Set to Vote Friday in Rule-Change Year

How will Phaup and Varello measure up to the new face-off rules? No knee down, no motorcycle grip.

And once again the question that is always at the front of my mind for almost all the changes they make comes up again...WHY??

Also Greg is not entirely correct about the complaining never leading to them backtracking on changes. A relatively large amount of complaints about the proposed initial shot clock caused them to back track on the initial plan to give teams a separate 20 seconds to clear followed by a 60 second shot clock or whatever the hell it was. This isn't the NBA. If enough of the vocal influencers in the sport speak out on social media the committee will actually give a crap. Does this require the same level of complaints? Probably not, but once again freaking why??

The nitpicky rules of faceoffs are already a mystery to even some diehard fans. Always trying to create more situations where the whistle is blown and the casual fan trying to get more into the game goes "huh??"

"Oh you see he tapped his left toe on the midfield line 2 times while staring into the sun. If he does that twice more he can only faceoff with one hand and his mouth for the rest of the game. Are you getting it now, casual fan?"

How will Phaup and Varello measure up to the new face-off rules? No knee down, no motorcycle grip.

They both do both of those. Of course. F this.

Edit: Although to be fair almost everyone does, which makes this even more stupid, but not especially bad for us alone or anything.

I can't recall if Danny Brennan faced off with a knee down or not. Jon Garino of Maryland's championship team gave Baptiste(Denver) and Withers(Ohio State) fits championship weekend. Pretty much dominated Withers in the championship game.

They both do both of those. Of course. F this.

Edit: Although to be fair almost everyone does, which makes this even more stupid, but not especially bad for us alone or anything.
I think Varello would be able to adjust pretty well, he has really quick hands. Phaup has been excellent with exits and picking up ground balls. There has been too much withholding using extended clamps.

I don't have a problem with requiring the FO guys to keep their knees off the ground. IIRC, it was that way Back in the Day. To me, this change is optional.

The only needed change is to cut the shot clock on a reset to 60 seconds, just like the b-ball shot clock is only reset to 20 seconds on a reset. In both cases, the extra time is there to clear the ball out of your own end.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on how this rule change on faceoffs impacts our good fogo tandem? Not versed at all on matter, does . Will it favor a certain type of fogo who exits , will the ball be on the ground quicker, does Cuse go back to double poling on wings?

"I'm a huge fan of the face-off. To save it, I propose a simple rule. No player can take two face-offs, until every player has taken one. The craft is elevated with this proposal, face-offs become a team endeavor. All players must learn the skill. Coaches submit a card to the refs with players in a pre determined face-off order. If the player listed becomes injured, in the penalty box or unavailable, that draw becomes a forfeit. All players must learn the craft." - Quint

This is legitimately the dumbest lacrosse related thing I have ever read. Full stop.

"I'm a huge fan of the face-off. To save it, I propose a simple rule. No player can take two face-offs, until every player has taken one. The craft is elevated with this proposal, face-offs become a team endeavor. All players must learn the skill. Coaches submit a card to the refs with players in a pre determined face-off order. If the player listed becomes injured, in the penalty box or unavailable, that draw becomes a forfeit. All players must learn the craft." - Quint

This is legitimately the dumbest lacrosse related thing I have ever read. Full stop.
Agreed. A forfeit for injury? Pretty stupid. If you're going to go this route, just move up the next man. :rolleyes:

I like the face-off. It can help a team get back back in a game if they win several draws in a row or it can help a team dominate. However, too much importance is being placed upon it. In last years final, Yale won 19 of 25 draws for a 76% win rate and lost the game 13-9. Virginia made up for the deficiency at X elsewhere, that's what good teams do. If a team can't beat a guy at the X then find a way to beat them elsewhere on the field.

Last edited:

Before a final decision is made, in accordance with the NCAA playing rules change process, the committee will seek additional feedback from the membership during a two-week comment period. Then the committee’s final recommendations must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss men’s lacrosse rules proposals July 22.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom