NCAA Rule Change extends 3-point line | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Rule Change extends 3-point line

Not if the additional distance causes a significant decrease in 3 pt make percentage.
Correct. The article below does a good job explaining how the 3 point shoot has taken over college basketballl offenses. Check out the percentage of 3s made over the last 5 years. The 3 point shot is too easy right now and college coaches have finally figured this out. They are valuing outside shooting a lot more than in the past and changing their strategies to try and get good looks from the 3 point circle.

Pushing the circle out will make it harder on offenses in general. 3 point percentages will go down and the number of 3s taken will get reduced significantly. Offenses will have to work harder to get good shots. All that will help out defense.

We have done a good job taking advantage of the short 3 point circle.on offense. Lengthening it should not hurt our offense much (it really can’t get much worse). Heck, from what I have seen of JGIII, another 18 inches won’t matter. I suspect Buddy will be fine with the extra distance too. This would have hurt Tyus and Frank a lot. It seemed like almost all their 3s were barely outside the 3 point line (and it was pretty common to have some shot with a foot on the line).

Yeah with most teams I think we’d dare them to shoot the 3 even more

For many of these guys today, just as Carl Spackler uttered, "it's no bid deal!" If the shots are not adequately contested, good shooters at this level when open will still bang them down, just as they have in the past at times from 2 feet or more beyond the arc, so what's another foot. It's all about contesting and preventing those wide open 3's, otherwise it's just another came of H-O-R-S-E.

maybe its time to have a circle where shots inside 2-3 ft are worth 3 pts just like longer ones. then teams would have to guard the whole court

to me moving the line back makes good shooters more not less valuable. lets face it, this new distance is still a joke for elite shooters.

im thrilled that the shot clock will only reset to 20 on offensive rebounds . thats also huge for us.

Players will still shoot three-pointers, so couldn't it also make the zone have to extend even more?
I think it will hurt the zone because it will force our wings to have to cover more area.

Basketball should have the same rules at every level. It's the best way to prepare for each level and to make comparisons.

Basketball should have the same rules at every level. It's the best way to prepare for each level and to make comparisons.
It's not true in other sports, so why should it be true in bball?

It's been awhile since I've seen an international game, so is the 3 line out far enough that it's straight on a portion of the sidelines like in the pros? If so that sort of answers the question about the wings needing to cover more ground. Also, will SU be playing international rules or college rules on their trip to Italy. Either way that makes a high difference with game experience for the new rules

And lastly, love the change to a 20 second clock for offensive rebounds.

If it was up to me, the NBA and NCAA lines would be the same distance.

It's not true in other sports, so why should it be true in bball?

It's been awhile since I've seen an international game, so is the 3 line out far enough that it's straight on a portion of the sidelines like in the pros? If so that sort of answers the question about the wings needing to cover more ground. Also, will SU be playing international rules or college rules on their trip to Italy. Either way that makes a high difference with game experience for the new rules

And lastly, love the change to a 20 second clock for offensive rebounds.

Why shouldn't it be? Maybe the other sports have it wrong. That's not a reason not to make a positive change.

Why shouldn't it be? Maybe the other sports have it wrong. That's not a reason not to make a positive change.
And maybe they don't and what makes it positive? And why should they be the same? What are the percentages of college players actually needing to play by pro rules because they will be playing in the pros? Vast majority won't so no need to play pro rules. And are the pro rule right? I mean pros travel more often than not on drives. Yeah it's not their rules but that's how they play. I guess MAYBE if the pros actually followed their rules and applied the equally to ALL players I would feel different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom