NCAA Rule Change extends 3-point line | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Rule Change extends 3-point line

Correct. The article below does a good job explaining how the 3 point shoot has taken over college basketballl offenses. Check out the percentage of 3s made over the last 5 years. The 3 point shot is too easy right now and college coaches have finally figured this out. They are valuing outside shooting a lot more than in the past and changing their strategies to try and get good looks from the 3 point circle.

Pushing the circle out will make it harder on offenses in general. 3 point percentages will go down and the number of 3s taken will get reduced significantly. Offenses will have to work harder to get good shots. All that will help out defense.

We have done a good job taking advantage of the short 3 point circle.on offense. Lengthening it should not hurt our offense much (it really can’t get much worse). Heck, from what I have seen of JGIII, another 18 inches won’t matter. I suspect Buddy will be fine with the extra distance too. This would have hurt Tyus and Frank a lot. It seemed like almost all their 3s were barely outside the 3 point line (and it was pretty common to have some shot with a foot on the line).

Good post, Tomcat, but stats simply don't support certain aspects of it.

Yes, teams are taking more 3 pointers today than ever and the number of 3s taken per game has increased significantly in the last five years.

However, what has NOT changed is the 3 point shooting percentage. That has remained fairly constant at about 34% (median acrosss all D1 schools).

However, what coaches HAVE figured out is that a 3 point % of 34% is equivalent to a 2 point % of 51%.

And, if you look at shooting percentages by distance, players shoot 50% or greater from 6 feet in.

So, once you get beyond 6 feet from the basket, the 3 point shot becomes a more efficient shot.

Hence, make layups or shoot 3s...

I think it helps us short term, hurts us long term. Over time, I think terms will focus more on ball movement and mid range games and stop marginal shooters from jacking threes.

Corner 3s just became gold though.

It will spread our zone enabling them to feed their center which has been an Achilles heel for us.

On the other hand, Hughes, Buddy and Joe have very deep ranges

Yes, teams are taking more 3 pointers today than ever and the number of 3s taken per game has increased significantly in the last five years.

However, what has NOT changed is the 3 point shooting percentage. That has remained fairly constant at about 34% (median acrosss all D1 schools).

However, what coaches HAVE figured out is that a 3 point % of 34% is equivalent to a 2 point % of 51%.

And, if you look at shooting percentages by distance, players shoot 50% or greater from 6 feet in.

So, once you get beyond 6 feet from the basket, the 3 point shot becomes a more efficient shot.

I agree with everything you are saying and I think that was the point of the article posted. College coaches finally figured out how to take advantage of the 3 point circle and it was changing the game.

This change should restore the balance to the game, where we get more driving, working the ball inside, taking more mid range shots, etc. That might be the biggest change coming. The mid range shot becomes more valuable when you can't make 3s as easily.

I think it will hurt the zone because it will force our wings to have to cover more area.
and more space will open up inside the zone. I like moving the line back but not so sure it will actually help the 2-3.

Of course an undefended shot is easier to make than a defended shot and if all coaches insist on scoring in the paint or from the arc, those are the only places defenses have to defend.

Also, the capacity to shoot from three point range is going to vary from player to player, team to team and level to level. having every player and team use the same strategy assumes that all players and all teams are the same. Tyus Battle isn't going to score as well as he did eschewing the two point jumper in favor of three point jumpers because he's not as good at them.

The insistence that everybody should be jacking it up from the three point line or driving to the hole and nothing else is the equivalent of the trend in baseball that says that everyone should be swinging with an uppercut and going for the fences, even fast guys with little power. It's taking an overall stat and assuming that it applies equally to all situations.

Very good point. But still better than baseball, where you can use metal bats in college

I've read that the bat manufacturing companies say they can 'tune' metal bats to any level of resiliency and power but that the colleges just wanted to hit more home runs so they had them tune them to do that. they could make metal bats with an equivalency to the wooden bats the majors use if asked to.

could it be said the wrong people are shooting most of the time for many teams.. it not that the shot is a bad shot from 10ft its that the person is a bad shooter. when buddy shoots from 10ft he seemed to be money.

I think it depends on our wings and their ability to cover space quickly. I think JB will double down on length and athleticism on the wings in recruiting (for however long).
As far as this year, Dolezaj covers a great deal of space as a wing if he gets to play there. Hughes covers space but his lack of length on the back line make contesting the new line difficult. Guerrier and Braswell have the length and athleticism to make it a positive but lack experience. I say net positive for us this year based on faith that one of Guerrier and Braswell end up strong defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom