NCAA takes a year away from Obokoh | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA takes a year away from Obokoh

turned 20 in December per the article.
Puts him on the same pace as Dieng. He's only one year behind someone that never failed a grade.

this is sick. I mean really fing sick. hard working student who does everything right and you punish him ? The NCAA needs to be either gutted or replaced. Enron had more integrity.

The NCAA's needs to keep us on our toes.

Well, the article did say "might cost ... Obokoh ..." a year of eligibility. Is it possible the process works something this: to make a decision on the case by applying the general rule same as any similar case. Then an appeal can be filed based on the specific merits of the student and the case. For if they were to make a blanket ruling, the Caliparis of the business will soon be dressing 27 year old men as freshmen, because their birth certificate says <wink-wink> they're 19. Of course I'm just guessing, but it's better to be an optimist and occasionally wrong than a pessimist and always right.

Last edited:
"He's not an offensive player," Boeheim said. "He's a pretty good defender and rebounder."

not to hijack the thread, but just awesome.
I know this thread is about the NCAA once again making themselves look like a bunch of clowns, but how about the last line in that article.

"He isn't an offensive player." "He is a rebounder and defender." I guess it's unfortunate he doesn't play football since you have to play both ends of the floor.

I know, right? We need more of those kinds of players like Kaiser needs a mano-y-womano w/ B Stewart at the top of the key with the game on the line.

swish7 said:
"He's not an offensive player," Boeheim said. "He's a pretty good defender and rebounder." not to hijack the thread, but just awesome. I know, right? We need more of those kinds of players like Kaiser needs a mano-y-womano w/ B Stewart at the top of the key with the game on the line.

We grow good rebounding, defensive minded centers with no offensive skills in a grove outside of Manley. Saves on the recruiting budget.

This is a major issue, no? If Coleman isn't ready to go we need some C depth. Rak has proven he can't stay on the floor. I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. I would think a JUCO or some 5th yr transfer big guy is of the utmost importance!

This is a major issue, no? If Coleman isn't ready to go we need some C depth. Rak has proven he can't stay on the floor. I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. I would think a JUCO or some 5th yr transfer big guy is of the utmost importance!

I think that's the key--can Coleman play or not? If so, then I'm cool with Chino being the third C in the rotation as adequate depth. If not, then having him as the primary reserve is a risk.

This issue would not prevent him from playing next season. Only the '16-17 season.

I think that's the key--can Coleman play or not? If so, then I'm cool with Chino being the third C in the rotation as adequate depth. If not, then having him as the primary reserve is a risk.

Oh you know what RF. I think I totally misread the severity of the situation. I thought he was ineligible for next season. NCAA taking away next year from him. Oops. Back to bringing another ballhandler/PG in post haste...

Punish the kid for the mistakes of adults. Real smart!
Who's to say they made a mistake? They evaluated his learning up to that point and English proficiency, and determined that his best shot was to be classified as a freshman. From that point he seems to have been a reasonably good student. I promise you when they evaluated him nobody was thinking about what ramifications that would have with the NCAA boogey man.

The NCAA is a sham.

Who's to say they made a mistake? They evaluated his learning up to that point and English proficiency, and determined that his best shot was to be classified as a freshman. From that point he seems to have been a reasonably good student. I promise you when they evaluated him nobody was thinking about what ramifications that would have with the NCAA boogey man.

The NCAA is a sham.

Maybe you're right. The article I read made it seem like a mistake by the HS administration. If the kid comes from Africa to play hoops, his evaluation in the eyes of the NCAA should be a pretty big deal. I'm not saying it wasn't an honest mistake, and I'm not saying the NCAA isn't to blame as well (they definitely are), but ultimately it's ridiculous to punish Chinoso under these circumstances.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more about an appeal. I don't know if we'd win, but it seems like the type of thing we'd at least fight.

Tough to expect that every HS knows the NCAA rules well enough to understand how a decision made with a 9th grader will impact them in 4 years. Doubtful that the HS was even thinking about a future D1 scholarship at that time.

As for appeals, they can be long processes.

Tough to expect that every HS knows the NCAA rules well enough to understand how a decision made with a 9th grader will impact them in 4 years. Doubtful that the HS was even thinking about a future D1 scholarship at that time.

As for appeals, they can be long processes.
They've got 3 years. Totally worth appealing.

Not worried, opens a scholly a year earlier for a legit center.

Not worried, opens a scholly a year earlier for a legit center.

I don't like it. You never know what will happen three seasons from now.

What if something similar happened and we didn't have Keita this year?