NCAA takes a year away from Obokoh | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA takes a year away from Obokoh

ROCuse said:
I don't like it. You never know what will happen three seasons from now. What if something similar happened and we didn't have Keita this year?

Then we would have Chin as the backup or Grant would have played the 5 with Roberson got more minutes and Rak would have had more minutes. Bottom line, BMK was more of a liability than helpful this year.

Then we would have Chin as the backup or Grant would have played the 5 with Roberson got more minutes and Rak would have had more minutes. Bottom line, BMK was more of a liability than helpful this year.
So Obokoh can't get better and be a better player than Keita in 3-4 years is what you're saying? You'd prefer an open scholie a year early because you don't think Obokoh will be good enough, is that what you're getting at? That's unfair.

Jasoncuse said:
So Obokoh can't get better and be a better player than Keita in 3-4 years is what you're saying? You'd prefer an open scholie a year early because you don't think Obokoh will be good enough, is that what you're getting at? That's unfair.

I think he fits the BMK mold more than anybody else we've had at the 5 for awhile. It's not fair to expect more from him, he wasn't exactly a big time recruit. I'm just being realistic.

two3zone said:

You're 2 for 2 in this thread. But I'm sure someone will come along and say nobody is ripping the players.

Wow, what kind of comment was that? Kid did a red shirt to improve his ability to help the team going forward and a comment about getting a "legit" center. Have to wonder about some of the negativity on this board. Not every recruit is a one and done type, you build a solid program with guys who will be 4 year players and the occasional star that might leave early. Feel sorry for the kid, he loses a year of free education.

This is rediculous, if thee ncaa was going to go this route then do it before he redshirts not after. This should be taken and thrown out of court. This one is worth fighting for.

I think he fits the BMK mold more than anybody else we've had at the 5 for awhile. It's not fair to expect more from him, he wasn't exactly a big time recruit. I'm just being realistic.
You kn0w what else isn't fair? Ripping the kid before he plays a single minute and saying its a good thing that his scholie will be opened up a year early. Maybe he'll never develop into a special player, but why can't we expect him to play quality minutes, block some shots, rebound and get some putbacks here and there? Not every player has to be a double digit scorer to impact the team.

I haven't seen any comments from Boeheim that the NCAA is being unfair. This seems like the type of thing that would annoy him.

rrlbees said:
You're 2 for 2 in this thread. But I'm sure someone will come along and say nobody is ripping the players.

How is it ripping him? Jab said himself he is all defense and zero offense. Didn't realize I was the only sick of not having a post 5 on offense and playing 4 on 5.

two3zone said:
How is it ripping him? Jab said himself he is all defense and zero offense. Didn't realize I was the only sick of not having a post 5 on offense and playing 4 on 5.

I don't remember JB saying it that way and even so, you said he was a liability to the team.

rrlbees said:
I don't remember JB saying it that way and even so, you said he was a liability to the team.

JB said he was no offense and a defensive player.

Yes, I think BMK was a liability to the team this year. Being a "selector school" like people claim we are why don't we get a top 100 center prospect when he graduates instead. Who's to say that open scholly after Chins eligibility is up is for a Carmelo type? Or a Fair? Or hell even a player as talented as Fab Melo was his second year.

I feel bad for the kid but I'm not going to shed any tears about it. With this recruiting class he was the least spoken about, rawest, and virtually unknown. There are a lot more BMKs than Joel Embiid, I'm sure Chin will have a BMK type career here and I'm sorry I'm not excited for that type of production from somebody getting minutes.

two3zone said:
JB said he was no offense and a defensive player. Yes, I think BMK was a liability to the team this year. Being a "selector school" like people claim we are why don't we get a top 100 center prospect when he graduates instead. Who's to say that open scholly after Chins eligibility is up is for a Carmelo type? Or a Fair? Or hell even a player as talented as Fab Melo was his second year. I feel bad for the kid but I'm not going to shed any tears about it. With this recruiting class he was the least spoken about, rawest, and virtually unknown. There are a lot more BMKs than Joel Embiid, I'm sure Chin will have a BMK type career here and I'm sorry I'm not excited for that type of production from somebody getting minutes.

So like I said, you bashed both of them. Words like liability is bashing a kid. His defense and rebounding at times were of value. Just like you already bashed Chino before he played a game. Must be your way with words.

So like I said, you bashed both of them. Words like liability is bashing a kid. His defense and rebounding at times were of value. Just like you already bashed Chino before he played a game. Must be your way with words.

Using the term "liability" is not bashing. Literally speaking, Baye's lack of catching ability was a huge liability for our offense. Teams could easily lag off him without any real repercussions. Also, he cost us many possessions by either missing passes or fumbling rebounds.

He definitely wasn't a liability on defense though. And his 4 year contributions were severely needed.

JB said he was no offense and a defensive player.

Yes, I think BMK was a liability to the team this year. Being a "selector school" like people claim we are why don't we get a top 100 center prospect when he graduates instead. Who's to say that open scholly after Chins eligibility is up is for a Carmelo type? Or a Fair? Or hell even a player as talented as Fab Melo was his second year.

I feel bad for the kid but I'm not going to shed any tears about it. With this recruiting class he was the least spoken about, rawest, and virtually unknown. There are a lot more BMKs than Joel Embiid, I'm sure Chin will have a BMK type career here and I'm sorry I'm not excited for that type of production from somebody getting minutes.
Oh Lord

rrlbees said:

So we play 4 on 5 on offense again and it's not a liability?

I'm sorry I think the lack of offensive production from the 5 is a problem.

Everybody has ripped on our offense the last half of the season, I bring up the point we're not fixing one of the problems and now I'm "bashing" a player. Give me a break. As JB says "we gotta make baskets". Unfortunately we won't be getting much from a guy who will probably be playing 10-20 minutes a game.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why does the NCAA care what a kid did in high school. I can see his high school league making his school forfeit games since he would seem to be too old to play, but why does the NCAA care?! How is this different from a kid failing a grade or playing a year of prep school before going to college? I am not sure how the NCAA can continually make their organization look so bad, but that seems to be the one thing they do consistently.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why does the NCAA care what a kid did in high school. I can see his high school league making his school forfeit games since he would seem to be too old to play, but why does the NCAA care?! How is this different from a kid failing a grade or playing a year of prep school before going to college? I am not sure how the NCAA can continually make their organization look so bad, but that seems to be the one thing they do consistently.

They have to do something while they are taking a break from pushing old ladies in front of cars.

How old is he? Wasn't Gorgui Dieng 23 last year at Louisville, with one more year of eligibility? Consistency?:bat:

What about the American kids who have parents that intentionally delay starting school or hold them back?

^^^^THIS - ONE MILLION TIMES, THIS!^^^^

AAU is full of the "held backs". So are some HS's. I found out that a kid now at very prestigious local private school (who is a tremendous player) is actually supposed to be in 9th grade... but he's back in 8th. I spoke to parents whose son went to the same public school he came from, same school where he completed 8th grade last year. He applied to said private school for HS and they "reclassified" him as an 8th grader. Hmmmm. Would they have done that had he not been a basketball player? Now he's on the AAU circuit as an 8th grader absolutely destroying the competition. I would bet, by age anyway, he's probably a 10th grader. BTW...he plays either JV or Varsity for the school. Yeah, that's what I said...and he's playing 8th graders in AAU tournaments?! C'Mon, man. Oh Lord He'd start for JD!

There are so many coaches in AAU that cheat it's pitiful. All about the W's and the $$$. That is why I believe all tournaments should be based on AGE and not GRADE, with a player being required to show a recent copy or his/her birth certificate and a photo ID to participate. My son played against a "6th Grade" Rochester team when he was in 5th, and these kids had facial hair that would rival any full grown man, not to mention the muscle definition. They were most certainly NOT real sixth graders, but their coach insisted they were. It was funny when they lost to a real 6th grade team from Utica that was smaller but pressed the crap out of them and forced about 40 turnovers.:rolling: Karma.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I think this NCAA ruling is par for the course. It's sad that a TRUE STUDENT/ATHLETE, something the NCAA is trying so hard to convince people these kids are, is suffering. I hope JAB sticks this one back up the NCAA's arse. :mad:

Using the term "liability" is not bashing. Literally speaking, Baye's lack of catching ability was a huge liability for our offense. Teams could easily lag off him without any real repercussions. Also, he cost us many possessions by either missing passes or fumbling rebounds.

He definitely wasn't a liability on defense though. And his 4 year contributions were severely needed.

Read his post and how it was used.

For that matter, how about all of the Pitt players who are 24 year old juniors?

WHAT ABOUT RONNIE HIGHSMITH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!! Dude was TWENTY EIGHT!!!!! Oh, that's right...don't mess with Big John Thompson.

So we play 4 on 5 on offense again and it's not a liability?

I'm sorry I think the lack of offensive production from the 5 is a problem.

Everybody has ripped on our offense the last half of the season, I bring up the point we're not fixing one of the problems and now I'm "bashing" a player. Give me a break. As JB says "we gotta make baskets". Unfortunately we won't be getting much from a guy who will probably be playing 10-20 minutes a game.

Moving the bar now? Read your original post.