NCAA Tournament Proposal - 90 Teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Tournament Proposal - 90 Teams

NCAA Division 1 Transformation Committee announced proposal to increase the number of teams in the tournament to 90.

Unfortunately the Orange would probably still be on the bubble SMH!

Go Cuse!
Now JB will never leave.

I know people are going to complain, but we have gone from about 200 plus Division 1 basketball schools in the 70's to 363 now. So it kind of makes sense.

Interesting point - that being said I think pretty much all the at-large teams (with a few odd exceptions from year to year) existed as programs in the 70s.

And if you expand the field it will not open the at-large field to some of the newer programs -- it will just bring in mainly more of the legacy P6 programs.

I don't think it's a bad thing.
Conference tournaments reward teams tha get hot and gell at the end of the season.
Like the 2006 Orange.
Or -hate to say it - UConn in 2011 when they probably had to win the BE to get a bid.
They did (although the Orange should have beaten them if not for missed dunks and layups) and won the NCAA tournament.

UConn was #21 in the AP Poll in the poll before the BET. UConn was a lock for the NCAA tournament before the 2011 BET. Probably a 6 or 7 seed entering the BET,

They had a great OOC that year, and were 9-9 in a conference that had 11 bids.

Villanova was 9-9 on conference (lost a terrible game to a very bad USF team in the first round of the BET) and was still granted a 9 seed.

Marquette was 9-9, and was very mediocre in OOC and still got in the tournament as an 11 seed.

Link for reference to that 2011 BET season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom