NCSU 'chunk' plays | Syracusefan.com

NCSU 'chunk' plays

swish7

All Conference
This D gives up a ton of chunk plays. Game after game.

22 or so today, excluding the penalties & FG.

Even though we tweaked the D today, we are still missing tackles & assignments & giving up way too many huge plays. We are still tackling guys forward for 3-5 extra yards too.

This has got to change.
  1. 75 yard pass - TD
  2. 72 yard pass
  3. 42 yard pass
  4. 29 yard FG
  5. 28 yard run
  6. 25 yard pass
  7. 21 yard pass
  8. 16 yard pass
  9. 15 yard run
  10. 15 yard penalty - Deuce
  11. 14 yard pass - TD
  12. 13 yard pass
  13. 13 yard pass
  14. 11 yard pass
  15. 10 yard run
  16. 9 yard pass
  17. 9 yard run
  18. 8 yard run
  19. 6 yard pass
  20. 5 yard pass
  21. 5 yard run
  22. 5 yard run
  23. 5 yard run
  24. 5 yard penalty - illegal formation
  25. 5 yard penalty- offsides
The D generated a couple turnovers, which gave McCord just enough opportunities to win the game for us.

Take away the 3 plays over 40 yards & maybe it's acceptable in the bend but don't break D...

Hopefully, Wax can get us whole again.

Last edited:
The 2 70 yard passes were the only inexcusable plays when you consider the context. Particularly when we had 5 guys fail to tackle their one receiver. That was scholarship-revoking BAD.

The other stuff - letting receivers open behind the zone is on ERob.

I agree generally, but if you looked back and realize that the 75 yard TD should not have counted, the 14 yard TD should have never happend, and if Grant tries tackle instead of punching ball, that’s a forgettable play.

Every game this year I hate watching the D, then realize that they are makable play away from, stat wise, very impressive performances

Even though we tweaked the D today, we are still missing tackles & assignments & giving up way too many huge plays. We are still tackling guys forward for 3-5 extra yards too.

This has got to change.
  1. 75 yard pass - TD
  2. 72 yard pass
  3. 42 yard pass
  4. 29 yard FG
  5. 28 yard run
  6. 25 yard pass
  7. 21 yard pass
  8. 16 yard pass
  9. 15 yard run
  11. 14 yard pass - TD
  12. 13 yard pass
  13. 13 yard pass
  14. 11 yard pass
  15. 10 yard run
  16. 9 yard pass
  17. 9 yard run
  18. 8 yard run
  19. 6 yard pass
  20. 5 yard pass
  21. 5 yard run
  22. 5 yard run
  23. 5 yard run
The D generated a couple turnovers, which gave McCord just enough opportunities to win the game for us.

Take away the 3 plays over 40 yards & maybe it's acceptable in the bend but don't break D...

What defines a chunk play? Is there a set number or are you labeling a 6 yard pass as a chunk play?

I agree generally, but if you looked back and realize that the 75 yard TD should not have counted, the 14 yard TD should have never happend, and if Grant tries tackle instead of punching ball, that’s a forgettable play.

Every game this year I hate watching the D, then realize that they are makable play away from, stat wise, very impressive performances
True.

But how many times yesterday did NC State have a deep ball opportunity they didn’t convert on? The first ball to that hit the WR in the hands, the seam shot that was over Conception’s head. How many times did the announcers point out a deep shot that the kid missed a read on?

our defense did a lot well, but if we replace the two busted 70 yard plays for two on time system deep balls earlier in the game that were there and our opponents missed, we are having a very different discussion today.

D player well, but still has missed assignments and gaffes that sooner or later someone is gonna make us pay for. Gotta get that cleaned up in the bye week

He didn’t get free because he stepped a toe on the white line, the CB handed him off to a safety that wasn’t there

Yeah, I forgot about the OOB play, but even with that the DB was lost. He didn't stop playing bc he thought the person was OOB.

17 points 400 yards 3 turnovers
Maybe the turnovers are available little luck but I'm college football, that's a pretty good day
Good Ds don't give up chunk plays w this kind of frequency. Don't tackle like this. Our D needs to fix this & hopefully will w Wax. Would have preferred to hold NCSU under 300 w TOP like that.

Clean up the tackling & we are good

What defines a chunk play? Is there a set number or are you labeling a 6 yard pass as a chunk play?
Anything 5 and over. Unscientific. I'm not a scientist.

Good Ds don't give up chunk plays w this kind of frequency. Don't tackle like this. Our D needs to fix this & hopefully will w Wax. Would have preferred to hold NCSU under 300 w TOP like that.

Clean up the tackling & we are good
I agree we don't have a good D. We hardly ever do. Most games I watch, I didn't see good d.

I should go back and change good d to good defense just so chip's Google alert doesn't catch this

Last edited:
I agree we funny have a good D. We hardly ever do. Most games I watch, I didn't see good d.

I should go back and change good d to good defense just so chip's Google alert doesn't catch this
Just don't write that was huge, Pena without the comma

This has got to change.
  1. 75 yard pass - TD
  2. 72 yard pass
  3. 42 yard pass
  4. 29 yard FG
  5. 28 yard run
  6. 25 yard pass
  7. 21 yard pass
  8. 16 yard pass
  9. 15 yard run
  11. 14 yard pass - TD
  12. 13 yard pass
  13. 13 yard pass
  14. 11 yard pass
  15. 10 yard run
  16. 9 yard pass
  17. 9 yard run
  18. 8 yard run
  19. 6 yard pass
  20. 5 yard pass
  21. 5 yard run
  22. 5 yard run
  23. 5 yard run

I’m fine with the D, overall.

We need Wax and Barnes back. Clear as day.

McDonald had an awful game.

the long pass was a calculated risk that shouldn’t have counted. The big run play was awful.

This has got to change.
  1. 75 yard pass - TD
  2. 72 yard pass
  3. 42 yard pass
  4. 29 yard FG
  5. 28 yard run
  6. 25 yard pass
  7. 21 yard pass
  8. 16 yard pass
  9. 15 yard run
  11. 14 yard pass - TD
  12. 13 yard pass
  13. 13 yard pass
  14. 11 yard pass
  15. 10 yard run
  16. 9 yard pass
  17. 9 yard run
  18. 8 yard run
  19. 6 yard pass
  20. 5 yard pass
  21. 5 yard run
  22. 5 yard run
  23. 5 yard run

Anything under 10 yards should be two yards less, we seem to give them a couple extra yards with each tackle.

The D was more than fine for 3 quarters. One chunk play was a blitz, bad throw, fluke tip on 3rd and long. The TD should have never happened because that FG penalty was garbage.

But that 4th quarter was brutal and has to be fixed immediately. It wasn’t play calls, it was not being tough when you had your foot on their throat.

Thankfully Barron bailed us out on that sack.

This has got to change.
  1. 75 yard pass - TD
  2. 72 yard pass
  3. 42 yard pass
  4. 29 yard FG
  5. 28 yard run
  6. 25 yard pass
  7. 21 yard pass
  8. 16 yard pass
  9. 15 yard run
  11. 14 yard pass - TD
  12. 13 yard pass
  13. 13 yard pass
  14. 11 yard pass
  15. 10 yard run
  16. 9 yard pass
  17. 9 yard run
  18. 8 yard run
  19. 6 yard pass
  20. 5 yard pass
  21. 5 yard run
  22. 5 yard run
  23. 5 yard run

On your #1…..please don’t tell me you’re defending that call by the replay official as you defended them on the fg penalty.

True.

But how many times yesterday did NC State have a deep ball opportunity they didn’t convert on? The first ball to that hit the WR in the hands, the seam shot that was over Conception’s head. How many times did the announcers point out a deep shot that the kid missed a read on?

our defense did a lot well, but if we replace the two busted 70 yard plays for two on time system deep balls earlier in the game that were there and our opponents missed, we are having a very different look discussion today.

D player well, but still has missed assignments and gaffes that sooner or later someone is gonna make us pay for. Gotta get that cleaned up in the bye week
Agree. I don’t actually like our scheme at all, but it’s disorienting to look at the stat line after and see that we were two blown calls and a missed tackle away from an *on paper* comfortable performance

17 points 400 yards 3 turnovers
Maybe the turnovers are available little luck but I'm college football, that's a pretty good day
It was 411 yards on 45 plays, though. That's awful.

Each of the three drives with turnovers went 40+ yards before we got the ball.

Now, 2 of the three turnovers were forced, and the pick was something we've dropped all too often in the past. So, I give the D full credit for taking the ball away.

But 9.1 yards per play is atrocious.

I'm glad it all worked out, points wise, but give another team 20+ plays and we're going to need to score 50 to beat them.

I'm glad it all worked out, points wise, but give another team 20+ plays and we're going to need to score 50 to beat them.
When there are so few plays, a couple bad ones can skew things

They're not good defensively, that's for sure.

We are lucky to be 5-1 getting outgained per play

We must be doing great in success rate where McCord gets us 5 yards reliably when we need 4

When there are so few plays, a couple bad ones can skew things

They're not good defensively, that's for sure.

We are lucky to be 5-1 getting outgained per play

We must be doing great in success rate where McCord gets us 5 yards reliably when we need 4
I agree, I just don't think anything was "skewed". According the plays Swish posted to start the thread, we gave up 17 plays of 9 yards or more. 38% of all snaps.

I think that just reveals who we are... a bad defensive team.

I thank the lunatics in Columbus for Kyle McCord.

The only thing that amazes me about the defense is that we will rush only 3 and have 8 in coverage and other teams constantly have people running wide open. There zone looks awful people dropping wrong depths. People not carrying players to the next zone. People biting on pump fakes. People always out of position. If you are dropping 8 there should never be someone beat you deep.

I don’t know if the coaches can’t coach this scheme or the players can’t play this scheme.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom