ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ND AD Says D1 Breakup is Inevitable

where in-game wagers areAgree. The number of games I watched that I didn't have a direct rooting interest already decreased big time this past season.
They are betting ( ;) ) that gambling will be the factor that maintains, or increases, interest among fans like us.

It's possible that they're right, at least in the short term--increases in viewership of major sports events this most recent season may be attributed in some measure to the gambling factor, especially where in-game wagers are part of the equation.

So how many BT teams do you think would make the move? Neither Rutgers not Maryland has the money or the fan base to do so successfully.

But what about BT pride? The BT prided itself, with the pride of Satan, on being the richest and most powerful from its inception until this very time. Wouldn't the BT want to try to move up with everyone but Northwestern to prove to the SEC that the BT is its equal in money and power? And wouldn't ND replacing Northwestern make the BT get the best feeling possible for the BT?

Is this going to be about SEC and BT as the only 2 conferences in this new division, with each having 20-24 teams? Is this division also going to be semi-pro in basketball? Baseball?
The B1G would, of course, want ND, but my reading of ND's hard-core board says they won't be interested for as long as they can. Even those on their board most devoted to going semi-pro express doubts that they would do that.

I think it would be for football, both basketball teams, and baseball/softball. These seem to be the sports of greatest interest to the SEC. Bama, for example, only has baseball, basketball, football, golf, swimming, tennis, and track as men's sports. It's hard to see them giving big bucks to participants in "the other 4". Kentucky and South Carolina have men's soccer teams, but play in other conferences because soccer is not a men's sport in the SEC.

ND and others will lead the what ill term the academic coalition.
The amount of money that ND gets from sports is like peeing in the ocean to fill it up compared to all other donation/revenue sources.

I think he's right...not sure I see ND in the have not pack though. Believe that when I see it.
Not sure that the BIG is going to exist if Michigan and Ohio State bolt to the lucrative “business” league. And Notre Dame will have a tough time walking away from the $$.

ND and others will lead the what ill term the academic coalition.
The amount of money that ND gets from sports is like peeing in the ocean to fill it up compared to all other donation/revenue sources.
The first place to start would be to make a list of teams that will most probably go up to Premier league. SEC minus Vandy and B1G minus NW is the baseline,IMO.

College football slowly dies if it turns into a south and Midwest sport only. Right now most of the country has a local routing interest if they can catch lightning in a bottle. Take that away and the major college football world shrinks tremendously.
Except……sports gambling. That is the key to linking local teams nationally and tying this together for the benefit of the factory schools. It gives a rooting interest for a team like OU, Clemson, FSU etc to a guy in Seattle or a guy betting in Detroit. Unless something changes a program like Syracuse will be comparable to a flag football team by 2035.

The first place to start would be to make a list of teams that will most probably go up to Premier league. SEC minus Vandy and B1G minus NW is the baseline,IMO.
Agreed. I can see BC SU Wake Duke opting out of the Pay for pay league in the ACC. Most if not all of the Mac and lower leagues will opt out. The academies will opt out. BYU Stanford Cal and many other higher education institutions all out. Schools like NC, USC, Michigan, will have difficult decisions and may opt to rule the Academic landscape vs competing with the SECs schools. It is going to get interesting for sure.

college sports is at a cross roads. The SEC is doing everything to monopolize sports and looks to be breaking off from the NCAA. This NIL and 1 year free transfer portal has completely decimated the college sports system. It is in shambles right now. You have teams completely using NIL to bring kids in and then you have thousands of kids transferring in both sports if they don’t play in their first year. Not to mention a ton of tampering to get kids to go to the transfer portal, knowing they can play immediately if they do transfer. Tampering was harder before because you would have to sit out a year if you transfered mostly. I can’t imagine the amount of tampering has quadroopled since kids can play right away and dont have to sit out a year.

College athletics is about to die as we know it. A lot of change is coming.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Many of the changes implemented in recent years have been well-intentioned but horribly misguided, and here we are.

And the NCAA has fallen asleep at the wheel.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Many of the changes implemented in recent years have been well-intentioned but horribly misguided, and here we are.

Exactly.

They are betting ( ;) ) that gambling will be the factor that maintains, or increases, interest among fans like us.

It's possible that they're right, at least in the short term--increases in viewership of major sports events this most recent season may be attributed in some measure to the gambling factor, especially where in-game wagers are part of the equation.
Very valid point. I'm probably in the minority but gambling is a non-issue for me. I have other non-sports hobbies that interest me rather than placing bets on games that I'd have no interest in otherwise.

Agreed. I can see BC SU Wake Duke opting out of the Pay for pay league in the ACC. Most if not all of the Mac and lower leagues will opt out. The academies will opt out. BYU Stanford Cal and many other higher education institutions all out. Schools like NC, USC, Michigan, will have difficult decisions and may opt to rule the Academic landscape vs competing with the SECs schools. It is going to get interesting for sure.
And when a vast majority of people turn their TV to something else, it will collapse. That day will come sooner then later and that will be the end of college football.

Why would a MAC school want to opt out? They could go 0-120 (an entire decade) and make more money than they would by opting out.

Why would a MAC school want to opt out? They could go 0-120 (an entire decade) and make more money than they would by opting out.
You aren't following. Most schools wont pay kids 400k a year. There will be maybe 50 total. The rest including SU will form a new conf that will do just fine.

The ACC has NCST, VTECH, UNC, Clemson, FSU and Miami who would probably go to the pay model if they were given the chance. PAC12 has UW, OU, USC, UCLA, UA, CU and UTAH who might go into the pay league.

You aren't following. Most schools wont pay kids 400k a year. There will be maybe 50 total. The rest including SU will form a new conf that will do just fine.

Is there going to be a minimum salary of $400k? There are only X amount of roster spots on those "maybe 50" teams. So if a MAC school is only paying kids $40k they will still have more talent than they do now. They will be the 51st best team and make more $.

Is there going to be a minimum salary of $400k? There are only X amount of roster spots on those "maybe 50" teams. So if a MAC school is only paying kids $40k they will still have more talent than they do now. They will be the 51st best team and make more $.
Not true

But he is saying there will be two camps. One for schools with sports as a business and one for schools who still consider their sports programs part of the school.

Sounds like he sees ND siding with the latter. Might be ND’s first hint they are headed towards B1G membership.

Not before 2036.

What's the guaranteed minimum in the NFL?

It is not just the NCAA's incompetence that is to blame. It also is the fact that the NCAA kept getting greedier, which meant making deals that benefitted it as organization, which meant its execs kept getting richer.
I don't place all the greed blame on the NCAA. Some needs to go to the institutions and conferences as well. If the money wasn't so big, student athletes would still be some semblance of students and the value of a scholarship would still be appreciated. NIL wouldn't have been seen as needed and then used as a recruiting tool. The facility wars wouldn't be so crazy either. There would be some level of competitve balance. Yes, cheaters would still cheat, but the impact would be closer to what we saw 30-40 years ago, not what we are currently seeing evolve.

Last edited:

I don’t disagree. I just think “asleep at the wheel” is an inaccurate characterization. I think they failed to do their job. Willfully, neglected their responsibilities to their constituents, namely the academic institutions they are supposed to represent.

Not true

What isn't true? If there are 50 teams with 100 man rosters all paying kids $400k, what happens to the kids that don't make those teams? They can choose to go to the non semi pro schools like SU and don't get paid, or they could go to Akron get paid $40k and play against the top kids in the nation.

Paying kids does not change the NCAA division dynamic. Currently, a kid isn't going to North Dakota State over playing for Minnesota. Why do you think so many schools keep jumping up to FBS? Having a semi pro division won't be different. If a school wants to join, what is to stop them from doing so?

I don’t disagree. I just think “asleep at the wheel” is an inaccurate characterization. I think they failed to do their job. Willfully, neglected their responsibilities to their constituents, namely the academic institutions they are supposed to represent.

The ncaa is the academic institutions.

What isn't true? If there are 50 teams with 100 man rosters all paying kids $400k, what happens to the kids that don't make those teams? They can choose to go to the non semi pro schools like SU and don't get paid, or they could go to Akron get paid $40k and play against the top kids in the nation.

Paying kids does not change the NCAA division dynamic. Currently, a kid isn't going to North Dakota State over playing for Minnesota. Why do you think so many schools keep jumping up to FBS? Having a semi pro division won't be different. If a school wants to join, what is to stop them from doing so?
And the tax man is going to make a lot of money off of this. Donating to a school is one thing, but paying athletes to play ball is not going to last long with the tax man.