ND-Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ND-Clemson

Nothing would bring me more joy than SU miraculously beating ND at the end of year and knocking them out of the playoff
Agreed, but even if we had a chance.. I’d imagine this is one of those games where the ACC says under no circumstances does ND lose this game.

Given how this season is playing out, if you’re ND, it’s time... I’d be shocked if internal pressure to join the ACC full member football isn’t growing.

Maybe a bigger issue than Lawrence being out, was Clemson missing their starting DT and two starting LB’s. They need Skalski back.. dude is a stud and Venebeles son is terrible - he was getting worked all game.

As far as the “southern racists” commentary above... Georgia went blue and immediately started playing like a blue state college football team.
I agree. Thought the QB frankly was just as good as Lawrence. Venebles kid is a perfect example of tackle numbers lie. He's around the ball just five yards later than he should be. Etienne's dropped pitch was the game changer

I agree. Thought the QB frankly was just as good as Lawrence. Venebles kid is a perfect example of tackle numbers lie. He's around the ball just five yards later than he should be. Etienne's dropped pitch was the game changer
That hurt. You could say the missed block on the dropped pitch was the game changer. Etienne was about to get blown up which is why he took his eye off the ball.

Isn't Notre Dame's contract with NBC some kind of NCAA violation?

Isn't Notre Dame's contract with NBC some kind of NCAA violation?

Not since 1984, when SCOTUS ruled that individual schools and athletic conferences were free to negotiate TV contracts on their own behalf.

I believe NBC will try and extend the contract and the two parties might already be in negotiations to do that.

They had a 5 year contract that ran from 2011-2015 and announced it was extended 10 years (to 2025) in April of 2013. These things typically are done years in advance.
Ratings haven’t been great (though I am sure they were last night) but NBC doesn’t have much football to show and I think they will fight to try and retain ND football. They have to be worried about the decision to join the ACC for football for one season.

As a somewhat objective observer, it would seem to me that ND has a better chance to win the NC playing in the ACC conference than playing an independent schedule outside it. It has really hard to build a schedule as an independent that gives you byes when you need them, gives you the proper mix of tough and manageable games, etc. ND gets something close to an ideal schedule each year if they played in the ACC. Very much like Clemson already enjoys. Lots of games against good to very good programs but not too good, if you get my drift.

The ACC really needs a second team at or near the level of Clemson. You need a marquee game to build the conference schedule around. Clemson-ND is just as compelling as Georgia-Alabama, OSU-Michigan and it is something the conference has been missing since FSU and Miami have become mediocre.

I think 1+1 = 3 sometimes and this is one of those times. I understand ND would be giving up years of tradition and would not travel as much across the country. But maybe that travel is one of the reasons ND football has struggled to contend for NCs for a while now. Getting on a level playing field with other football powers is something ND might want to think about.

For the record, if they were to join, I would expect that the ACC would not act on adding a 16th member for a while. It is probably worth noting that the B12 GOR expires on June 30th, 2025. The same year ND’s contract with NBC ends. Funny how that works out.
The Chairman of NBC Sports and the man tasked with managing their media rights, is Pete Bevacqua. He is an ND Alum and a former walk-on during the Lou Holtz regime. He is en enormous ND person (watches every game etc.) and has been since he graduated 25 years ago.

I think the idea that ND home games are somehow NOT going to be played on NBC should be labeled an extreme long shot.

That said, I see nothing that would preclude ND or the ACC from having 6-7 conference games (aka ND home games) per year televised/covered on NBC. That is essentially what is happening this year. And a significant percentage of ND’s rights should be shared with the remaining 14-15 ACC schools.

As part of this, I could also conceivably see the Level 3/RSN games being televised covered on another NBC property, such at NBCSN and/or their new streaming service, Peacock. Both channels could use a programming boost.

ESPN would them have the rights to all ND road games against ACC conference foes. That is 4-5 games per season and Disney would and should be elated with this arrangement, as they’d essentially be a half rightsholder for ND football.

Remember, the Big10 has arrangements with both FOX and ABC/ESPN. That’s worked out swimmingly for them.

Bottom line, there are a myriad of possibilities or ACC football in the coming decade. Almost all of them are very good for the conference and Syracuse Athletics.

(One thing to acknowledge is that NBC is going to have to significantly increase its rights fees to keep the NFL or Sunday Night Football. That change, which I estimate will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, may affect many of the notions I spelled out above. But football is certainly television gold and the the more one owns, the more the ratings seem to follow)

Last edited:
So thousands of people can storm the field in Notre Lame but we still can’t have fans in the Dome? Makes sense.

They're idiots.
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 12.09.08 PM.png

Everyone who attended the game had to test negative multiple times

So thousands of people can storm the field in Notre Lame but we still can’t have fans in the Dome? Makes sense.

Don't worry; next week a few thousand of them will be sick with the virus and then you'll be glad we don't, at least not yet.

So start wearing your damn masks again people. Syracuse is spiking right now. If you won't do it for other people, do it for football.

It's as simple as this. If ND had lost the game, but won the rest - they'd get another shot at Clemson. In their normal status as an Independent they'd be at the mercy of the committee, playing 1 less game vs good competition. It's how two SEC and two B12 teams have made it into the playoffs in the same year.

It's good for both ND and the ACC as it pertains to football. It remains to be seen if the other concerns of ND and it's alumni will continue to win out vs this obvious conclusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom