ND post game | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ND post game

If it's the one I am thinking of, despite the fact that some of the crowd cheered (thinking it was a swish), it was an airball that hit the netting on the way down.

Ah, OK. Looked good to me. I thought ND took it out of bounds, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks.

Not sure about the JJ shot you said did not get counted? I recall a shot he took and I thought he made but the announcers were saying he hit the bottom side of the net without going through the basket. I just was not sure but nothing more was ever said.

In my opinion I feel as Bell is trying real hard to improve. He is much, much better all around than he was early on this season. One thing he has to learn is how to control his emotions!

Yeah, I must have missed them saying that; thanks.
I agree, Bell is working hard.
I just wish these guys were a little less emotional on the floor.

I tell ya, though, that stretch from 12:00 to 3:00 left in the first half, when we had Maliq, Bell, Cope, JJ and Judah, that group played fantastically. Unselfish, shared the ball, played balls out defense. Really disrupted ND and blew open the game. Must have forced 6 turnovers in just a few minutes.

When we play like that - which we do for 10-20 minutes in a lot of big games - we are as good as anybody. But we are undersized inside, and can't keep it up for 40 minutes.

That's what they have to address.

Almost the worst choke in history since Golith lost to David. Horrible coaching job by AA in h 2nd half
Stupid comment. He must have forgot everything he knew at halftime. ND made TEN threes in the second half. We only had seven turnovers for the game. ND was smart and put Bell in all high pick and rolls and he didn’t handle it.

You say blown leads this year. How many of those games have we lost? Now do how many of the close games we won / loss? I'll help you

If we have a big lead (5+) we are: 12-0
If we have have a small Lead or Deficit (+/- 4 points) we are: 4-2 (Fell apart for Ga Tech & FSU)
If we have a big deficit (5+): 2-8 (Big Comebacks Colgate + Pitt round 1)

It's one thing to be frustrated with a bad half, which we all are, but wins are wins. Autry and these young guys are winning close games more often that not.
You fail to mention that what we’ve been discussing for weeks is the NET. Our win margin and loss margin is why our NET is so poor and why we are not squarely on the bubble. Beating a 10 win team at home by 3 does nothing for us. Those margins matter.

I might be in the minority here, but Red has been really bad in many games. This team has blown huge leads in a few games which is coaching. We have played a good 40 minute game twice all season against UNC and Oregon. A win is a win, but having a 29 point lead evaporate against a 10 win team should be alarming. He was outcoached and ND was getting whatever they wanted the last 15 minutes. I like Red and think overall he has been okay, but I don’t get the praise. Still wait and see for me.
Pitt just ran of 18 straight against VT. Does that make him a bad coach. It happens.

Exactly!

I mean, you allow a college team, not to mention one the likes of ND, to score 57 points in a half, on your home court. That's just horrendous. ND's last possession/shot, although deep, was a very solid look to tie the game at 89. That bucket drops, and it goes to OT, who knows the outcome, but one would certainly have to think ND has the odds highly in their favor, especially with us being up 10 at 84-74 under the 2 minute mark left in the game.

Players let up, and we have no other quality guys on the bench. We've got 6 guys who don't play.

Pitt just ran of 18 straight against VT. Does that make him a bad coach. It happens.
Never said he was a bad coach. I’ve observed a pattern with this team which I think coaching has something to do with. I just said I’d like to see more before I form an opinion. One season isn’t enough. It’s okay to root for the guy, but point out bad trends/games. Not everything has to be filtered through orange colored glasses. I hope he succeeds and has many successful years here.

Stupid comment. He must have forgot everything he knew at halftime. ND made TEN threes in the second half. We only had seven turnovers for the game. ND was smart and put Bell in all high pick and rolls and he didn’t handle it.
Stupid comment?
How many times does a good coach have a player targeted defensively by and totally beaten by the other team and not make ANY adjustment?

If we have a big lead (5+) we are: 12-0
Great stat. Especially considering sometimes we get behind with our starters (thought that lineup has been better the last couple of weeks)

There was a Starling 3 pointer with 11 minutes left in the 2nd half that they didn't correct while ND added 2 scores. Even after the TV timeout, they returned to the wrong score. I'll have to watch to see if it was corrected.
Matt, I don’t think it went in. I thought it did and then people around me said, no, he missed. Maybe you are thinking of another one?

Matt, I don’t think it went in. I thought it did and then people around me said, no, he missed. Maybe you are thinking of another one?

Thank you, Miss P.

You fail to mention that what we’ve been discussing for weeks is the NET. Our win margin and loss margin is why our NET is so poor and why we are not squarely on the bubble. Beating a 10 win team at home by 3 does nothing for us. Those margins matter.
I get what you are saying, but think about it from a practical POV.

"Hey team, we want to blow this team out or it does nothing for us". That's just not reasonable.

You play to win the game. We won the game.

There was a Starling 3 pointer with 11 minutes left in the 2nd half that they didn't correct while ND added 2 scores. Even after the TV timeout, they returned to the wrong score. I'll have to watch to see if it was corrected.
Starling buried a three in the first half that ended up getting waived off because, I believe it was Judah, got called for an offensive foul.

I get what you are saying, but think about it from a practical POV.

"Hey team, we want to blow this team out or it does nothing for us". That's just not reasonable.

You play to win the game. We won the game.
You’re not wrong, but I think we can both acknowledge squandered opportunities. A close win is always better than a loss. My perspective is that Red hasn’t figured out how to get his team refocused when things start slipping. It’s not just in large blown leads that end up wins, but in losses too. Every time this team starts sliding it becomes an avalanche that can’t be stopped.

Stupid comment?
How many times does a good coach have a player targeted defensively by and totally beaten by the other team and not make ANY adjustment?
Maybe you were in the bathroom when Red made an adjustment that stopped that play COLD. He went zone and took them out of it. However, in the zone, ND either got open threes or made contested threes so he switched back out of it.

He really should have found a way to get Bell some help. Several times Bell made a good effort to stop the PnR play but the guy scored anyway. Helping was complicated by ND making everything they threw up. Hard to leave your man to help when they were burying so many outside shots.

Someone mentioned that we were sharing the ball well in the first half. In particular, Judah was looking for Malik A LOT off the pick and roll. He wasn't always rewarded with an assist but I'm hoping this was a turning point for him.

Ah, OK. Looked good to me. I thought ND took it out of bounds, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks.
I thought the same thing. Luckily for me I was watching with my 13-year-old son who has better eyesight. He wanted to know why I was cheering an airball.

Last edited:
Anyone close enough to hear what Bell said that set the ND coach off? Twice?

The first time Red assured the coach that he'd talk to Bell, which he did during the next time out. Then it happened again. Red pulled him and gave him a good talking to (with Bell arguing back the whole time). Would love to know what he said or did.

Stupid comment?
No matter who they put Bell on, he was going to be put in the pick and roll. Bell doesn’t hedge hard enough to force the dribbler to go wider. He switched to zone and they hit a three. It helps when the guy helping the helper would help. Red can only do so much. They didn’t have a problem in the first half. Sometimes you have to realize the other team is getting coached too. How about putting up 88 points against the second best defense in the league. They knocked down TEN threes in the second half. It’s harder to come off guys to help the roller when they are knocking down threes. This game really changed just before the end of the first half when they scored the last nine points of the half. I hate taking guys out because you worry about getting called for a foul. Having Brown and Mintz out for the final two minutes of the half really hurt. That would be my only criticism of Red.

Q is my favorite player on the team and I love his passion, but he needs to know when to shut his mouth re: yapping at officials. He was going on and on with a ref with like 10 seconds left and a technical would have absolutely killed us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom