ND post game | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ND post game

Q is my favorite player on the team and I love his passion, but he needs to know when to shut his mouth re: yapping at officials. He was going on and on with a ref with like 10 seconds left and a technical would have absolutely killed us.
Worse yet, it was after a play where we came up with the ball! Q wanted a travel on Shrewsbury, but he'd missed the shot and we got the rebound. Only point in yapping at the official was to let him know he'd missed a call that didn't matter.

I might be in the minority here, but Red has been really bad in many games. This team has blown huge leads in a few games which is coaching. We have played a good 40 minute game twice all season against UNC and Oregon. A win is a win, but having a 29 point lead evaporate against a 10 win team should be alarming. He was outcoached and ND was getting whatever they wanted the last 15 minutes. I like Red and think overall he has been okay, but I don’t get the praise. Still wait and see for me.
With all due respect, how do we know and trust that this young and always distracted team does what their coaches tell them to do?
Just saying.

Q is my favorite player on the team and I love his passion, but he needs to know when to shut his mouth re: yapping at officials. He was going on and on with a ref with like 10 seconds left and a technical would have absolutely killed us.
I too love Q, a lot but I’m getting tired of his taunting and over acting routine.
Q, just play your game and things will turn out good for you.
LETS GO CUSE!

I found it distracting and couldn’t wait for it to end.
I agree with that. I would much prefer the announcers call the game rather than the extracurricular stuff. I was just questioning the other poster's theory that it was a massive distraction to the team, if that's what he was leading to.

Anyone close enough to hear what Bell said that set the ND coach off? Twice?

The first time Red assured the coach that he'd talk to Bell, which he did during the next time out. Then it happened again. Red pulled him and gave him a good talking to (with Bell arguing back the whole time). Would love to know what he said or did.
Therein lies the problem with Bell and Mintz…they seem uncoachable. You can’t win consistently without everyone on the same page and following the game plan laid out by the coaches. On the other hand, it is slightly concerning that Autry hasn’t gotten these two very talented players to buy in. Is it the kids or lack of structure/control from the staff? Probably somewhere in the middle.

SAID REGARDLESS OF WHAT LUNARDI THINKS WE ARE ON THE BUBBLE

AND SAID F YOUR LEGO HAIR LUNARDI!!

(Not the last part)
I think his yellow teeth beat his hair - in combination he's just a cutie!

Therein lies the problem with Bell and Mintz…they seem uncoachable. You can’t win consistently without everyone on the same page and following the game plan laid out by the coaches. On the other hand, it is slightly concerning that Autry hasn’t gotten these two very talented players to buy in. Is it the kids or lack of structure/control from the staff? Probably somewhere in the middle.

IMO Bell has improved over the year defensively, rebounding, driving inside for pull ups, even shooting. Which tells me he is taking to coaching.

With all due respect, how do we know and trust that this young and always distracted team does what their coaches tell them to do?
Just saying.
Oh I’m not saying that the players are without fault here. Certainly makes you wonder what the minute distribution would be if we had everyone available. Devils advocate is that we are 30 games into a season. This team gets labeled as “young” but most of them have significant playing time in roughly 60 D1 basketball games. These are experienced sophomores. I think the youth of this team is overplayed at this point in the season.

IMO Bell has improved over the year defensively, rebounding, driving inside for pull ups, even shooting. Which tells me he is taking to coaching.
He's averaging .4 more rebounds per game than he did last year in 6 more minutes per game. You're right about his offensive game, which has undoubtedly improved. I don't doubt he works hard at his game, and may take to coaching in practice, but when he is seen on many occasions arguing with the coaches, rolling his eyes, etc., hard to argue that he is buying in to what the coaches are asking of him. He's an extremely talented player, but talent only takes teams so far.

Yup. That was terrifying. Red had to yell to Judah to get him way from that ref.

I warned people at half time that the game was not over. ND must have shot 80% in the second half. SU defense was non-existent. That's 3 games-- Louisville, NC State, and ND -- that we should have won easily yet came down to the final minute. We are underdogs against VT and Clemson and Louisville could very well have beaten us AT HOME! Outrebounded us 40-21. Only a super game from Bell saved us from an embarrassing loss. 28 games into the season and I have no idea what to expect in the next 3-4 games.

You fail to mention that what we’ve been discussing for weeks is the NET. Our win margin and loss margin is why our NET is so poor and why we are not squarely on the bubble. Beating a 10 win team at home by 3 does nothing for us. Those margins matter.
Hear what you are saying and you are absolutely correct that the damn margins matter but I am getting a bit fed up listening to all the metrics talk etc. All I care for at this point is the wins. I get more excited over a 2 or 3 point win than I do a 12 point win. Next they will be measuring whether we get all our points by two point shots, three point shots or free throws. Better yet...give me a NET on the first half today and on the second half. Who played the better game and gets a higher (or lower) NET?

Worse yet, it was after a play where we came up with the ball! Q wanted a travel on Shrewsbury, but he'd missed the shot and we got the rebound. Only point in yapping at the official was to let him know he'd missed a call that didn't matter.
Excellent point Red should make to Q. Too much of a focus on winning a battle when we need to be focusing on winning the war! Keep your ammunition dry!!!

Hear what you are saying and you are absolutely correct that the damn margins matter but I am getting a bit fed up listening to all the metrics talk etc. All I care for at this point is the wins. I get more excited over a 2 or 3 point win than I do a 12 point win. Next they will be measuring whether we get all our points by two point shots, three point shots or free throws. Better yet...give me a NET on the first half today and on the second half. Who played the better game and gets a higher (or lower) NET?
It’s really all about each individual fans expectations for the season. If you just wanted to see a competitive team that wins more than they lose, you’re satisfied. I don’t love the NET, unfortunately it is what the committee is using so it’s a relevant discussion topic for a bubble team.

They are a young team and this is what happens when you add a first time coach to the equation. Ebbs and flows and riding that wave.

Having one guy like Baye would have settled this down but there isn't a guy like that so we'll see how this shakes out.

I'll add the game being in honor of Boeheim was a perfect tribute. First half most of his coaching success and second half the end of it.

In fairness…..Shrewsberry traveled 4 different times that weren’t called. At what point do you mention the rule to the refs?

I think Bell has improved a great deal this year, which shows he’s coachable. Judah has had moments, but then he defaults to what he knows.

I think Bell has improved a great deal this year, which shows he’s coachable. Judah has had moments, but then he defaults to what he knows.
And that’s why Bell is THE biggest risk to get a huge NIL payday after the end of the season. SU’s collectives need to open the checkbooks. Won’t win ten games without him next season.

In fairness…..Shrewsberry traveled 4 different times that weren’t called. At what point do you mention the rule to the refs?
When I reffed modified basketball games we kind of agreed not to call travel unless it was blatant. It was the only way we could have a game without constant whistles. Evidently the refs thought ND was a modified team in the second half .

Just keep winning. I don’t care.

But today was a bad day for Red. He’s got to be better in the moment.

Our roster is just what it is.

Agreed.

But semi-alternate perspective: our inexperienced players don't know how to put teams away. It's like the went into the locker room up 20 at halftime and just relaxed.

Can't do that in the ACC.

I warned people at half time that the game was not over. ND must have shot 80% in the second half. SU defense was non-existent. That's 3 games-- Louisville, NC State, and ND -- that we should have won easily yet came down to the final minute. We are underdogs against VT and Clemson and Louisville could very well have beaten us AT HOME! Outrebounded us 40-21. Only a super game from Bell saved us from an embarrassing loss. 28 games into the season and I have no idea what to expect in the next 3-4 games.
We will not be underdogs against Va Tech at home. If you're going by Kenpom and ESPN you might want to rethink those metrics site because they both thought we'd have losing records this year yet here we at 18-10. Va Tech has won once on the road at nc state this year 1-8 and Cuse is 13-2 at home. Vegas will prob have us 2-3 point favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom