Class of 2018 - ND QB Phil Jurkovec Enters Transfer Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 ND QB Phil Jurkovec Enters Transfer Portal

Eh, I'm tired of using the "we have a starter for X more years" thing.

Other programs are able to pull a quality QB prospect of their preference every year, regardless of who starts. That's not to say they keep them all over time, but they get them in. We haven't done a very good job pulling them in, outside of DeVito.

This is an area of recruiting in need of massive improvement.
Not using anything, stating a known fact , and this transfer portal now makes it easy to bail if things don’t click right of the bat. If your Bama or Clemson you can have 3 4 and 5 star guys battle for time. We can’t , it’s obvious the ND kid already knew he was going to BC before he hit the portal. Yes , I agree we need to do better with our regular recruiting.

Not using anything, stating a known fact , and this transfer portal now makes it easy to bail if things don’t click right of the bat. If your Bama or Clemson you can have 3 4 and 5 star guys battle for time. We can’t , it’s obvious the ND kid already knew he was going to BC before he hit the portal. Yes , I agree we need to do better with our regular recruiting.
We don't need to be Alabama or Clemson to get a quality QB 'croot every year. We don't.

Eh, I'm tired of using the "we have a starter for X more years" thing.

Other programs are able to pull a quality QB prospect of their preference every year, regardless of who starts. That's not to say they keep them all over time, but they get them in. We haven't done a very good job pulling them in, outside of DeVito.

This is an area of recruiting in need of massive improvement.
And we don't know how well TD will do this year. If he is healthy or not or his inconsistent play. I would still take my chances on one of the transfers than what we have now.

That includes the current Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrows. He's still been pretty good.
He was at OSU, broke his hand, and Haskins took advantage. Different circumstances.
Umm...and the 2 winners before that and this years runner up and this years 3rd place...
One was supplanted by a generational talent in Tua and the other was pushed out by a guy that will probably be a first/second rounder in the draft this season.

They weren't 3rd on the depth chart behind Ian Book or 4th string QB/WR at Baylor.

Last edited:
He was at OSU, broke his hand, and Haskins took advantage. Different circumstances.

One was supplanted by a generational talent in Tua and the other was pushed out by a guy that will probably be a first/second rounder in the draft this season.

They weren't 3rd on the depth chart behind Ian Book or 4th string QB/WR at Baylor.

Yet everyone had a chub in their trousers about Fortin and he is way closer to the latter category.

I mean, I would've liked the kid, but I'm not the one that was comparing him/Jurkovic/Powell to Jalen Hurts/Joe Burrow/Justin Fields...
Any interest on Anthony Brown, grad transfer from BC? Would be great if healthy

I mean, I would've liked the kid, but I'm not the one that was comparing him/Jurkovic/Powell to Jalen Hurts/Joe Burrow/Justin Fields...

Do you really think that anyone is? I'd hope no ones that dumb. Think someone was just talking about the potential of transfer portal QBs and not anyone in particular.

I'm not worried about any of the "four star" transfers, none of them were good enough to start at the schools they were at.

God willing, we'll revisit in 2021 since they'll all be on our schedule.

The point of the portal for low-level P5 schools is to feed off of their table scraps. We cant get a return phone call from most of these guys coming out of HS. We need to be able to court them after they get rejected by the prom king.

It's a viable way to help build a roster with talent that's not accessible to us normally.

I was once told on this board that the staff at the time wouldn't be interested In a JUCO QB that went on to be on the Davey O'Brien watchlist because of Austin Wilson and Kentarius Womack. Yeah those two guys.

:confused:

Aye, some embellishment there, and kind of disturbing embellishment at that.

No, you were the one dismissing transfer 4-star QB's because they were beaten out and then rationalizing it afterwards to suit your narrative. Even a transfer QB like Shane Buechele looked really good this year and he was previously beaten out. The point is you can't generalize that a guy who was beaten out elsewhere can't help us.

Last edited:
No, you were the one dismissing transfer 4-star QB's because they were beaten out and then rationalizing it afterwards to suit your narrative. Even a transfer QB like Shane Buechele looked really good this year and he was previously beaten out. The point is you can't generalize that a guy who was beaten out elsewhere can't help us.
I think his point was that these transfers were beaten out by not that great QBs. The 3 OU transfers were all "beaten out" by good QBs, as well as Burrow and Fields.

BC and Rutgers need a QB for next season. Playing time is available and likely. If we had a situation like that we could grab a good QB too

I’m not sure why we are moaning about guys who chose available slots when we have a 4* guy who is more proven than those dudes

BC and Rutgers need a QB for next season. Playing time is available and likely. If we had a situation like that we could grab a good QB too

I’m not sure why we are moaning about guys who chose available slots when we have a 4* guy who is more proven than those dudes

Wish I felt better about what TD has proven ...

Those three will be more like Tate Martell than Joe Burrow

Wish I felt better about what TD has proven ...

He’s in-line with Nassib and Dungey at the same point in their careers. Might be more on outsized expectations than performance.

We have a 4 star kid starting. It’s not like we have a 2 star QB while these other schools have 2-3 4 star QB’s

I thought you said a month ago stars didn’t matter?

He’s in-line with Nassib and Dungey at the same point in their careers. Might be more on outsized expectations than performance.
Maybe. I don't know. Nassib was a kid coming from a wing-T and played in a very risk-averse offense. Dungey ran for 11 TDs and close to 650 yards in 17 games his first two years in addition to putting up good passer ratings and along with 26 TDs and 12 INTs as a true frosh and soph.

Tommy had a couple good games a frosh and then put up 19/5 with good passer ratings but .5 yards fewer/attempt and has done next to nothing on the ground (105 yards total and 3 TDs).

And if you value intangibles at all, comparing Dungey to DeVito would seem like a no contest but I know a lot of people don't buy into that.

I mean -- whatever. If you want to say they're on similar tracks, I guess. Not sure I'm on board with that, but either way I'm only saying I'm not totally sure what we have in tommy. Talent is there. Maybe it was coaching and/or offensive line play? Don't know, just don't know that I feel he's proven enough for me to feel particularly confident going into next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom