Nebraska fires Mike Riley / hires Scott Frost | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nebraska fires Mike Riley / hires Scott Frost

You do remember that Babers left BGSU and didn't coach that team in the Go Daddy Bowl? It happens.

Yes, I do remember and I know it's a common practice which is why I assumed Frost wouldn't be there for his players. It really sucks for the kids that bought in and fought for the guy. He's getting a new job because of them.

Memphis might beat UCF today the way this AAC game is going.

This game confirms that we need a really good running back with vision and can stay on his feet rather than falling down on the first touch / tackle like Memphis has. Once we get that, look out as this offense will just take off.

we dont need to max our running plays, but we cant continue to min. most of the plays which is what we do now. dynamic RB and just a little better run blocking is what we have to hope for. We dont need great oline play, just decent both running and passing.. better run blocking makes the pass blocking easier too.

Are people really jumping on me for a word instead of focusing on the intent of my message? What a clownshow
Words have meaning. I think "unfortunate" would have worked a lot better than "tragic".

Players and administrators at UCF knew he would be jumping to Nebraska if that job opened. After all, his ambition to again be a Cornhusker was probably the main reason Coyle didn't hire him to be our coach.

He's been hired. Recruits have been told he's leaving after this game.

Hate to say this and I understand this is business, but couldn't they have waited till the game was over to announce this.

So dumb.

College athletics are really BS when you take a step back. Sad really.

And yet here we are.

Btw great game. Loved the emotion. Love frost. Love the Memphis lineman consoling the Memphis qb.

Great game.

I wonder if he'll try to recreate Nebraska's old recruiting strategy. Recruit those beef and corn-fed big uglies from close to home, and come into New Jersey and other points east for the skilled guys a la Mike Rozier and Irving Fryar.

I wonder if he'll try to recreate Nebraska's old recruiting strategy. Recruit those beef and corn-fed big uglies from close to home, and come into New Jersey and other points east for the skilled guys a la Mike Rozier and Irving Fryar.

Is that what their strategy was? "Farm boy" strength is a real thing so I can totally see it.

So dumb.

And yet here we are.

Btw great game. Loved the emotion. Love frost. Love the Memphis lineman consoling the Memphis qb.

Great game.
Didn't think their game last week against USF could top this but it did.

The least shocking news I have heard in years, perfect guy for Nebraska.

So dumb.

And yet here we are.

Great game.

Yes, they are at times. I understand and like frosts move back to coach his alma mater. Totally get it. That said, UCF is obviously headed to a big bowl against a big boy.

The NCAA needs a rule that doesn't allow any coaching announcements to happen until after the championship game. Yes, yes, i get that's 3 ir 4 weeks of recruiting, but that isn't a big deal in the big scheme and big outlook of what that new coach is bringing to the table.

Its a flippin shame and a bad look when coaches make these announcements in season and no reason why they cant see the season through and play that big bowl with those kids.

Hypothetically, if Frost stayed at UCF and kept things going the way they were, could they have recieved an invite to a P5 conference? Maybe the Big 12 would've decided they wanted a presence in florida and to expand to two divisions by adding them and another team like Memphis?

Hypothetically, if Frost stayed at UCF and kept things going the way they were, could they have recieved an invite to a P5 conference? Maybe the Big 12 would've decided they wanted a presence in florida and to expand to two divisions by adding them and another team like Memphis?
Getting an invite to a P5 conference is about a lot more than wins and losses on the football field.

Getting an invite to a P5 conference is about a lot more than wins and losses on the football field.
I know. Seems like expanding the reach to a region like florida would be attractive. Memphis has been solid in football recently and has a basketball history too while getting them back toward a market they lost when Missouri left. None of it matters, really. Just something I thought was interesting to think about.

Barring extraordinary events, I don't think there won't be any potential conference expansion until the next seismic event - when the CFP contract (and coincidentally, ND's contract with NBC) expires in 2025.

I know. Seems like expanding the reach to a region like florida would be attractive. Memphis has been solid in football recently and has a basketball history too while getting them back toward a market they lost when Missouri left. None of it matters, really. Just something I thought was interesting to think about.

It isn't a necessity that a conference have a footprint in FL. PAC12 has CA, Big 12 has TX ACC and SEC both have FL. The B1G recruits a ton from FL because some of them are selector schools, Michigan, OSU, etc.

The days of programs not pulling their weight financially are over (ie Rutgers) as far as getting an invite to the P5. UCF is nowhere near at that level yet. Not saying they won't be in 10-15 years because they may very well be.

It isn't a necessity that a conference have a footprint in FL. PAC12 has CA, Big 12 has TX ACC and SEC both have FL. The B1G recruits a ton from FL because some of them are selector schools, Michigan, OSU, etc.

The days of programs not pulling their weight financially are over (ie Rutgers) as far as getting an invite to the P5. UCF is nowhere near at that level yet. Not saying they won't be in 10-15 years because they may very well be.
I know they're not. You're taking this a little too seriously. I'm just having some fun with what ifs. Reread my original post. I said IF Frost had stayed, he didn't, and If he kept things going like this year, no opportunity due to point number one.

Of course a conference doesn't need Florida. I just thought maybe it would be attractive with a UCF that had established a history (if Frost had stayed and kept things going). Maybe it wouldn't. I'm nobody that knows next to nothing, so it probably wouldn't.

Then, if UCF did go to the BIG 12 and continued to do well, they'd be legit. Kinda the same way TCU got good but was still an outsider before going to the BIG 12.

Every team has to start somewhere and not all of the good teams have history going back to the 60's like Alabama or Texas. Miami went from nothing to dynasty in less than 10 years. FSU didn't become an elite until the late '80's. In 1992 who would have thought Virginia Tech would be the Big East team playing for the NC against FSU only 7 years later? With a huge enrollment leading to a sizeable alumni base and a good location in fertile recruiting grounds the right coach that decided to stay could do the same thing there. It probably won't ever happen, but it's interesting to think about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom