Nebraska fires Mike Riley / hires Scott Frost | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nebraska fires Mike Riley / hires Scott Frost

So if Frost goes 9-4 or 10-4 every single year like Pelini did, will Nebraska fire him too? Or have they calmed down a bit and realized they haven’t been elite in 15-20 years under numerous different coaches by now, and that it just might not be the coaches “fault” that they “only” go 10-4?

So if Frost goes 9-4 or 10-4 every single year like Pelini did, will Nebraska fire him too? Or have they calmed down a bit and realized they haven’t been elite in 15-20 years under numerous different coaches by now, and that it just might not be the coaches “fault” that they “only” go 10-4?
Frost is there for the long haul.
You gotta figure the last few years have humbled that fanbase a bit, and he being a native son will surely help.
Personally I'd love to see Nebraska back in the national mix- used to love those Tom Osborne teams.

Is that what their strategy was? "Farm boy" strength is a real thing so I can totally see it.
You’d better believe it! Their roster was loaded with kids from Nebraska on both lines and linebacker and the superstar skill positions were national recruits.

Last edited:
You’d better believe it! Their roster was loaded with kids from Nebraska on both lines and linebacker and the superstar skill positions were national recruits.
The Peter brothers and Dave Rimington and a host of other Husker linemen were not farm boy strong. They had an early edge on the enhancement front.

The sooner really good legacy coaches like Frost get to where they always wanted to be the better off the college game is. Cant see him ever leaving unless Nebraska gets dumb again and says 9-3 isn't good enough, he should actually have a rather simple path to Big 10 championship game most years if he improves Nebraska

I don't like Kiffin, but he didn't go out the back door. He was surprised he got a call from USC since he was way down their list and jumped at the opportunity when it came. The only reason the whole family left the way they did was because of the psycho UT fans calling and texting Layla and the kids with death threats after somebody posted her phone number on social media. He actually did coach their bowl game that year. He didn't leave until the middle of January.

Having said all that, Frost seems much classier than Kiffin.

I don't like Kiffin, but he didn't go out the back door. He was surprised he got a call from USC since he was way down their list and jumped at the opportunity when it came. The only reason the whole family left the way they did was because of the psycho UT fans calling and texting Layla and the kids with death threats after somebody posted her phone number on social media. He actually did coach their bowl game that year. He didn't leave until the middle of January.

Kiffin just comes off as being obsessed with himself.

I wouldn’t buy a car from Kiffin or let him date my daughter but he knows how to coach football. He is young enough that he will get another shot at a high profile job if he wants it.

Kiffin just comes off as being obsessed with himself.
Yeah, I think he is too. According to his ex-wife, back when they were married, he is very uncomfortable in front of people or the camera. I think that makes him come across as even more arrogant than he already is.

Thanks for the info. I had always thought it was more Edsall/Rodriguez-ish.

If you've ever listened to Kiffin on ESPNU, he is hilarious. Pokes fun at a lot of things college football related, as well as himself.

Thanks for the info. I had always thought it was more Edsall/Rodriguez-ish.
No problem. It happened so fast my wife, who was working as their nanny, and I found out she was losing her job the same time everyone else found out he was leaving. The local news broke into primetime tv to report it. She tried to call Layla and couldn't get through because Layla's phone was getting blown up. Before the death threats started, she and the kids were gonna stay in Knoxville for a few weeks while Lane went out to LA to get started. The way the fans acted toward her and kids really soured us to anything UT related.

I think pelini got canned because he told the boosters to go screw and basically anyone else who didnt like him... not the record. But i could be wrong.

Personally I'd love to see Nebraska back in the national mix- used to love those Tom Osborne teams.

I think Nebraska football fans are the best fans not only in all of college football, but American sports.

They're extremely hardcore and will travel anywhere, but are well-known for being very friendly to opposing fanbases. Basically, what every fanbase should strive to be.

I'm still in awe of the number of Nebraska fans that I saw heading up I-81 back in '84.
That game is still my greatest in-person Orange experience. Next up are some lacrosse experiences...